The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 30, 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Roc87

Need help identifying ammo

Hello all,
I've been to two local gun shops and so far, it doesn't really seem like either has been much help. My grandfather was big into guns and reloading, so when he passed away almost 15 years ago, my grandmother let each grandchild pick a gun before she sold all the ones left. He had around 150 rifles and 200 or so handguns. I chose a 45 LAR Grizzly win mag. A few months later when my cousin drove out to see me, he brought all the .45 Win-Mag ammo that he could find in my grandfathers basement.

Roughly 1/2 was .45 win-mag ammo, I don't know what the other half is. The brass is around .08" too long to fit in the Grizzly. One local shop said it was .45 colt; but it doesn't have the "shoulder" to keep from going all the way through a cylinder in a revolver. The other shop says its .45 super-mag. There really isn't much info on the net about the super-mag. Anyways, I have 564 rounds of this stuff that I can't use! Hope some one can tell me what I have. On some of the brass it has L C 4 5, I don't know if those were long colts that my grandfather put on a lathe and got rid of the shoulder or what. Some of the brass it has LC55. In the picture, the .45 win-mag ammo is above the unknown ammo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ammo1.jpg (239.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Ammo2.jpg (225.7 KB, 54 views)
Old August 30, 2013, 07:18 PM   #2
DnPRK

LC 55 (with NATO cross) is an M-2 Ball (30-06) case from the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant manufactured in 1955.

The case was cut down and re-sized for that pistol application. The rifle case is thick and will withstand more pressure than your pistol can take. If you reload, you need to be careful because the thick case walls reduce available powder volume. "Cook book" loads from a reloading manual will contain too much powder for a thick-walled former rifle case and cause excessive pressure, slide battering, cycling and extraction problems.
Old August 30, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Roc87

I really appreciate the reply. Here I was thinking the brass was too long to fit in the grizzly, maybe it's because the ends are mushroomed from the thicker brass casings? Any suggestions on what to do with them?
Old August 31, 2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Sevens

There is truly nothing you can "safely" do with them considering that the man who concocted them is no longer with us and the rounds you do have arrived with no documentation.

The easiest way to dispose of them would be to find someone who is a serious hobbyist handloader and give them to that person, who will break them down in to the four components that make them up, and then dispose of them.

However, if you are simply talking about a handful, you could put them up on a shelf and display them as something of a family history. They aren't particularly "dangerous" to be sitting around anywhere, it's just not a good idea for anyone to attempt to discharge them in a firearm.