The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2010, 11:17 AM   #1
testuser

3 Hole Turret in a 4 hole Lee Turret?

I have a Lee 3-hole manual turret press and I'd like to add auto indexing. Unfortunately, Lee has discontinued all of the auto index parts for the 3 hole! But, I can switch to a four hole inexpensively.

Will the old 3 hole turrets work in the 4 hole press?

The problem is, I have 12 plates for the three hole press! If I have to spend $20 for the update and then almost $120 for new plates, then I'm better off buying another press.

I know the auto index won't work for the 3 hole turrets, but that's no big deal. I was hoping I could buy just one or two 4 hole turrets for the calibers I load the most.
Old November 6, 2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Don P

Good question. Look at this site.http://www.factorysales.com/
Or you can call him. He may have the parts to do the conversion to make a 3 hole auto index. Last time I checked on this with him it would be cheaper to buy a 4 hole auto index and be done with it.

I found this on Midways site. The plates look like they will work, BUT manually,check it out.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=206578
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; November 6, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old November 6, 2010, 12:06 PM   #3
mikld

Puleeeeze. Let us know what you find out. I have a 4 holer press and a would like to use /try some 3 hole die plates...
Old November 7, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
mtnkid85

Ive got the 4 hole lee classic turret. Accidently bought a 3 hole turret one day and... It didnt work. Had to return it, for another 4 hole.
Old November 8, 2010, 08:14 AM   #5
trublu

yep - it doesn't work..
Old November 8, 2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

You'd need the proper 3-hole indexing rod and the plastic cam ring to have a hope of making it work.

If you look at the rod for a 3 hole vs a 4 hole press you'll see that the twist is quite a bit different. It has to be in order to index the turret the proper amount.

If you drop a 3 hole turret into a press with a 4 hole indexing rod, the turret won't move far enough to index properly.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 10, 2010, 01:31 AM   #7
Wrangler5

If your question now is, can I convert to a 4-holer with auto index for 4 hole turrets, but still use my 3-hole turrets and just turn them manually, I think the answer is yes. If you look at http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/TP2131.pdf you'll see in the parts illustration at the bottom that they show both the 3-hole and 4-hole part numbers for the turret. This suggests to me that they both fit in the head. The only remaining question would be whether the spring loaded ball in the press and the detents on the turrets will locate both types of turret properly over the ram.

Why not give Lee a call and ask 'em?