The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 28, 1999, 11:29 PM   #1
Don Morgan

When I carried I had so many Holsters that it was unreal. I had one for every season it seemed, if I had to select the ones I preferred with my Colt 45 ACP Officers Model I would go with my Galco Concealable or MOB. If it were in the colder months then I would carry my Sig P220 with the Galco Miami Rig.

------------------
Society is safer when the criminal does not know who is armed

Old June 28, 1999, 11:49 PM   #2
Jim V

Only one holster for me, used in all types of weather, Andy Anderson Shopkeeper's Holster. My first one was made by Anderson some 30 years back. My latest was made by Lou Alessi. I have another one ordered. Strong side carry, fits 1911 Colt (clones), slight muzzle to rear rake, pistol sets nicely above the belt line, toe of holster hides well in hip pocket.

My other carry mode is no holster at all, 1911 stuffed in the belt.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited June 29, 1999).]
Old June 29, 1999, 10:11 AM   #3
Mute

Milt Sparks road runner. I've not had luck with IWBs so I go with a Galco Miami Classic when I don't want to wear a long jacket, though I'd still prefer a strong side hip carry.
Old June 29, 1999, 01:18 PM   #4
Bubba

Got the Milt Sparks VM-2 a couple of weeks ago. IWB with Kydex clips that allow me to wear it under a shirt. This rig fits me better than anything I have ever had. 12 weeks seems like a long time to wait for a holster. But this one is well worth the wait.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Old June 29, 1999, 01:37 PM   #5
Mikey

I agree that Sparks holsters are worth the wait! I use a Milt Sparks Heritage IWB for full size 1911's. Best IWB I ever tried!

I also like the DeSantis Pro-Fed Paddle holster for range work and IDPA. It's fast, secure, concealable and comfortable.

Mikey
Old June 29, 1999, 03:21 PM   #6
slingerofguns

For the last 4yrs I have used the Jim Burke and have been very pleased.
http://www.jimburkeholster.com

for information.

OMO
have a day
bud
Old June 29, 1999, 03:46 PM   #7
Anthony

Living in Dallas, Texas makes carrying concealed very challenging at times.

In the winter months I ususally tote my Smith & Wesson .41 Magnum snubby in a Sam Andrews horizontal shoulder rig with three spare speedloaders on the offside carried horizontally. As a backup I'll stuff my Smith & Wesson 640 Centennial or Kahr K-40 in my overcoat pocket as a backup.

When it warms up a bit, I'll carry the same setup with a light Members Only jacket. As a sidenote, if you like shoulder rigs and live in a warmer climate, try buying a Members Only jacket one size larger than you normally wear. The cut bellows the sides out to make concealing even my chunky N-frame a piece of cake and they're lightweight as hell.

In the summer months my Colt Lightweight Commander rides IWB either with a Clipdraw apparatus mounted under the grips or in a Bianchi Bellyband underneath an untucked shirt. If something more formal is called for, my Smith & Wesson 640 Centennial or Kahr K-40 rides along in my strongside pants pocket in a Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy.

- Anthony
Old June 30, 1999, 09:51 AM   #8
BlkHawk73

For daily wear during warmer months...a Mitch Rosen "workman" carries a Ruger SP-101. During colder months or while hiking, a Mitch Rosen belt slide carries a HK USP40.
While hunting, a Mitch Rosen "Sport" carries a Super BlackHawk.
All of them are supported by one of Mitch's belts.
Hmmm... Think I like his work?

------------------

Old June 30, 1999, 07:48 PM   #9
Reloader

Deep concealment-DeSantis Apache ankle holster with S&W 642.

Kramer #2 IWB for Colt Commander or Kramer new IWB holster(soft) for my S&W Novak 457
with nite sites.

Formal wear: Kramer #2 and a S&W 29 4".
I also carry this under a sport shirt untucked. I"m also 6'1 and 265. No problem
Old June 30, 1999, 09:34 PM   #10
ahp6585

Milt Sparks VM-2 for my full size 1911, best I've seen, just ordered another for my Commander. Worth the 8 to 12 week wait, but I don't know why it takes so long.
Old July 1, 1999, 12:48 AM   #11
Blue Jays

Hi All-

Regardless of carry method, I've just got to tell you that I have received the BEST customer service and satisfaction from Sam Andrews Custom Leather down in Florida.

He's a true craftsman. If you order a holster or two, do yourself a favor and order one of his belts, too. I've often received compliments on mine.

Good luck,

~ Blue Jays ~

Old July 1, 1999, 01:28 AM   #12
Sidearmor

If you like kydex and carry a Glock, check out our website.

------------------
www.sidearmor.net

Precision Crafted
Kydex Holsters

Old July 1, 1999, 09:55 AM   #13
hollow point

Sounds like I am going to be a minority here, but the best holsters I have are the ones I make myself. I invested some big money into some real nice holsters, but then I started hanging around with this guy who does leather work. He showed me a few things and I have been going at it ever since. They aren't hard to make at all, and not only do you get a custom made holster that is sized to both the gun and your body, but you also get to hear people say things like "you made that!?! Who did the design? you!?! What about the stiching? you?!?" I have gotten more responses from my handmade holsters than I ever did from my purchased rigs. I end up having probably $15-$20 dollars of materials in each holster, and have people offering me double that for them. I very rarely sell them or make them to order (liability reasons), but I have made a few for friends. In particular for my best friend that is a Tenn. Park Ranger. It was a simple IWB that fit his issued SW40V. Email me if you have any questions on getting started or if you'd like to see any pictures of my stuff. -HP
Old July 1, 1999, 12:44 PM   #14
Rob Pincus

I have been partial to a Blade-Tech IWB for the past 6 months. I also have a couple Kydex Belt holsters that I use under a sports coat, especially while out doing volunteer LE work. I carry a Glock 23 or 35 in them.

When in uniform, the LEA that I work reserve for mandates Accumold, so I use the Ranger model, with my Glock 23.

I have several Galco belt holsters, one of which I wear with my Caspian Meltdown.

I have an Ahern pocket holster and a high-ride Blade-Tech paddle for my Beretta Tomcat.

I also have a DeSantis Shoulder rig that I like very much for my Glock 23, especially when I know I'll be sitting a lot (including long drives).

------------------
-Essayons
Old July 5, 1999, 03:15 PM   #15
Brien Crotty

I have been carrying a Glock 30 for a couple of months in either a Sidearmor IWB or OWB, depending on my attire. I can honestly say that this is the best kydex holster I have ever laid hands on, and I've tried them all. Dealing with Sidearmor has been fantastic, and the holsters are better than I ever expected.

Give them a try, you won't be sorry.

Brien
Old July 5, 1999, 03:50 PM   #16
Robert Foote

Milt Sparks #200 AW (aka Hank Sloan special; Elmer Keith used this design--strong side forward tilt for DA revolver with hammer protector). First one, with matching belt, lasted for 16 years of hard daily use; am now on my 2nd identical rig. My son is now getting into practical handgunning and if he stays with it I will be getting him the same outfit for Christmas. Consider this a strong endorsement of Sparks' work. (BTW, I also have a box full of unused holsters like any other serious shooter.)

------------------
Old July 5, 1999, 04:08 PM   #17
Sidearmor

Thanks, Brien. Nice to see a familiar "face" here.

------------------
www.sidearmor.net

Precision Crafted
Kydex Holsters

Old July 7, 1999, 07:12 PM   #18
Dave Williams

Robert Foote,

Greetings. I've always wanted a #200 AW. What type of revolver do you use yours with? Also, what belt width do you use with the holster? Just how concealable is this holster?

Dave
Old July 11, 1999, 06:47 AM   #19
Will Fennell

Depending on climate and attire, either Blade-Tech vertical scabbard, IWB, or Miami Classic from GALCO. All for mostly my Wilson STEALTH, and occassionaly a full size 1911. Before I tried Blade-Tech IWB [which I LOVE], I was very satified with GALCO ROYAL GUARD IWB.

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will Fennell/EDI KNIVES
Old July 11, 1999, 08:37 AM   #20
motorep

About 90% of the time I use a Galco Concealable, the other 10 % A Safariland 5181 paddle.
Old July 11, 1999, 09:07 PM   #21
Bill Lance

For IWB, kydex is a great choice, I think. I haven't tried alot opf others, but my Blade-Tech IWB is excellent. Reholstering is never a concern, and retention is superb with a nice draw.
Old July 14, 1999, 10:50 AM   #22
macondas

Before just recently I either carried a Springfield 1911 model in an old yaqui slide I bought from Dillion years ago or a German PPK/S in a Uncle Mike's "disposable" IWB holster. However I just bought a BladeTech IWB despite the concerns I read on another Topic in this forum (figuring that if it really s*cked I'd just return it and raise h*ll until I got my money back). Anyway I bought it for my H&K USP 45C w/ the FBI cant and the J-hooks, and I love it! Once I set the tension screws so it would hold the pistol in the holster while being held upside down I was ready to go.

Jim
Old July 16, 1999, 06:24 PM   #23
Nakano

My S& W 2.5 model 66 in a Milt Sparks SS. Beretta 21 A in an Alessi pocket holster for backup.
When going light or only minimal, a S& W model 49 Bodyguard in a Kramer horsehide pocket holster and a Bianchi speed strip in one of his horsehide belt pouches.
All rides on a Milt Sparks double thick belt.

Oh BTW guys, 8 to 12 weeks (only 4 employees last I spoke with Tony) is normal delivery time for Sparks products direct but only about half that if ordered elsewhere.

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."
Old July 16, 1999, 10:36 PM   #24
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Summer, winter, fall or spring there is only one CCW holster for me...

Mich Rosen - ARG (with a SOS Mag/Light holder)

When I can't wear the ARG for what ever reason I use my Andrews Notebook Holster ("This?.. Just my Organizer.")

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"