The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 19, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1
KC9LDB

Wow, I get so frusturated with Illinois

Private party gun pickup, (not a forum member), and I cant have a sidearm.... Why is Illinois so ridicules. I understand the "well if you don't feel safe, don't go" but seriously, its not even just picking up a 9mm form someone I don't know, its really anything. Sure wish they allow CCW soon. Be back in a few hours... hopefully lol
Old October 19, 2009, 09:14 PM   #2
SigP6Carry

Illinois seems like a very unlikely state to have strict gun laws, considering our pedigree of being a frontier state for so long. But, once the latter half of the 20th century rolled around, our gun rights rolled the other way.
Old October 19, 2009, 09:17 PM   #3
greensteelforge

As long as you're not headed for anywhere near Chicago, you can relax. If you're headed to Cicero, your 9mm would probably just get you shot quite a few more times.
Old October 19, 2009, 09:21 PM   #4
KC9LDB

Oh yeah I know, not the first time, more like well the 6th, just North of mo location. Dont worry no Cook county lol
Old October 19, 2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Wagonman

Where in Woodridge?
Old October 19, 2009, 10:09 PM   #6
KC9LDB

near 355
Old October 19, 2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Wagonman

My in-laws live near 63 and Hobson
Old October 19, 2009, 10:36 PM   #8
KC9LDB

Gotcha, yeah, i know where that is, small world
Old October 19, 2009, 11:22 PM   #9
csmsss

Not telling anyone else what to do, but...

I decided long ago that I would never, ever again live or work in a state that didn't provide at least a reasonable level of respect for the right of its law-abiding citizens to possess and carry firearms. I moved out of Maryland to Pennsylvania, and life and career vagaries have taken me to many different states - but I've never deviated from my decision.

If you live in a state that doesn't respect your rights as a gun owner, my opinion is that you are helping to perpetrate the suppression of those rights. Your tax dollars are being used to support and enforce oppressive laws that treat you with disrespect and scorn. If your firearms rights are important to you, then I strongly urge you to consider moving to a state which respects firearms ownership. Use your tax dollars to support governments that work for you, not against you.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:01 AM   #10
SigP6Carry

under no circumstance carry in illinois in public or in your car. People have been arrested for legally carrying in illinois (unloaded in a case) and have spent tons of money trying to fight it and got all their guns taken away because of it. My advice: don't carry.

Also, moving away due to gun laws is not the answer, it only allows single partisan politics to thrive in communities and states. My idea is that if I/we live in a state that constricts gun ownership, I/we can be part of the party to change that, rather than allowing a state of ignorant, gun fearing rubes to prosper.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:01 AM   #11
KC9LDB

I know I gotta get outta here, everything went well by the way!
Old October 20, 2009, 01:21 AM   #12
SigP6Carry

Oh, didn't notice. You're from Woodridge. I read it as you were going to ill to buy a gun FTF from another state. I can't understand what part of Woodridge isn't near 355, though.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:47 AM   #13
csmsss

Quote:
Also, moving away due to gun laws is not the answer, it only allows single partisan politics to thrive in communities and states. My idea is that if I/we live in a state that constricts gun ownership, I/we can be part of the party to change that, rather than allowing a state of ignorant, gun fearing rubes to prosper.
Can you show me even ONE instance of an anti-gun ownership state being "changed from within" and repealing its anti-gun laws? Didn't think so.

Fact is, you are part of the problem - you and others who greatly value your gun ownership rights whoe are allowing the rubes to prosper by the fact that they take your tax dollars, and give you nothing in return save scorn and disrespect.
Old October 20, 2009, 10:57 AM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
Can you show me even ONE instance of an anti-gun ownership state being "changed from within" and repealing its anti-gun laws? Didn't think so.
Prior to the mid-1990s, numerous states prohibited citizens from legally carrying a loaded handgun outside of their own property under most circumstances, concealed or not, and "pro-gun" Texas was one of these states. (Although laws regarding gun ownership in TX have always been relatively lax AFAIK, laws regarding carry used to be quite strict.)

Believe it or not, establishing a shall-issue CHL process in TX was quite a legislative battle. Then-governer Ann Richards, a Democrat, blocked it. Numerous factions, including many in law enforcement, opposed it as well. The tide changed when the citizens voted and made their voices heard.

FWIW efforts to legalize open handgun carry in TX continue to languish today, despite a solid Republican majority in both houses of the legislature and a Republican governer.
Quote:
+100, this is the whole purpose of the American electoral process.
Old October 20, 2009, 11:22 AM   #15
SigP6Carry

glad to see that people still believe in the American system... I'm rather confused how people expect to effect change (liberal or conservative) if they're simply going to write off their representatives as ignorant and simply move to where people agree with what they have to say.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Wagonman

Quote:
can't understand what part of Woodridge isn't near 355, though.

I think he was being evasive