The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2001, 03:11 PM   #1
lunde

I bought a Sure-Fire Responder #623A01 for my Mossberg 590A1. This is the special version that (barely) clears the accessory lug on this shotgun. The standard Responder #623 requires that the accessory lug be removed.

Anyway, after having fired the shotgun a couple times (that is, took it to a range a couple of times, and put about 50 rounds of "00" buckshot through it), I finally took it apart to clean it last night. (It was the first time to take apart a Mossberg -- I had Remington 870s in the past, and knew how to take them down.) I removed all of the sticky stuff that acts as a preservative. I spent 2.5 hours on this. I also took the opportunity to install the Sure-Fire Responder. Now that it's installed, all I can say is: Yuck! The ergonomics of the forend are not for me. It's bright, and is durable. It's just not for me. I will be removing it later tonight. For a lighted HD weapon, I much prefer my Glock 20 with an M3 on its accessory rail.

If anyone is interested in buying this Sure-Fire Responder unit from me (designed for Mossberg 590A1s with the accessory lug), I'll give a good deal, and throw in a spare Sure-Fire bulb that'll make it twice as bright as the standard bulb.
Old February 9, 2001, 07:41 PM   #2
Monkeyleg

I don't own a 590. But I will say this: you sure make a h*ll of a sales pitch!

Dick
Old February 11, 2001, 12:57 AM   #3
Bennett Richards

Sure Fire...

I have never tried the Responder on a Mossey but I LOVE the one on my 870 Marine. I had them install the grip strap at the factory and it really aids in weapon retention. The extra weight ( and the VangComp work ) has made the gun really good for follow-up shots. Although I really like a surefire 6Z with my H&K or Kimber I would rather have the old 870 in a tough spot.

Ben