The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2001, 05:19 PM   #1
PJR

How do you handle receiving unwanted advice while shooting clays?

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine handed me an weathered leg of mutton case that held a gun given to him several years ago by his grandfather. My friend admitted he didn't know much about guns and wanted to know if it was safe to use and I agreed to take the gun home and look it over. Inside the case was a very respectable early model 12 gauge Fox Sterlingworth that was in very good shape and despite having been stored for several years in a case showed no rust. It locked up tight, had only a little blue wear and the stock showed a few honest handling marks. A little work on the gun cleaned it up nicely.

With the owner's permission I took it out to a local skeet range to put it through its paces. I had only recently joined this club and while I know many of the members, the squad was made up of shooters I had not met before. As the round progressed and I had missed several birds, one of the squad decided to give me some "helpful" advice. If I missed, he opined that I was over the bird or behind the bird or that I'd stopped my swing. He then began to lecture me that I should get an over/under and that a double trigger gun was just not the gun to be shooting skeet with.

This fellow's advice was not welcome and became more irritating as the round wore on. My objective was to learn how the gun handled, if it locked up tightly, whether the ejectors worked properly, how the triggers felt and whether the safety could be smoothly disengaged. I calmly explained to the man that I was just trying out a friend's gun and wasn't worried about my score but he kept up his monologe right to the last station. What I wanted to do was forcefully tell him that I'd bought the birds, would shoot them as I pleased and that I would appreciate it if he shut the h*** up. Instead I held my tongue and left after shooting only one round.

Has this happend to you and do you have any advice on how to handle this?

Paul
Old February 6, 2001, 05:36 PM   #2
PWK

Just let it go. Jerks are jerks, always were and always will be, so unless you are so misfortunate as to get stuck with him again I'd just forget it. Besides starting an arguement around a bunch of loaded shotguns could ruin somebodies day.
Old February 6, 2001, 05:57 PM   #3
Bud1

I agree. Ignore the jerks.

I got that kind of unwelcomed crap when I first got started shooting clays about 5 years ago. My "revenge" today is to go back to the skeet field with my 30" bbl Sporting Clays gun with a full choke. I sometimes get "advice" on how much better a short barreled Browning over/under would be, how I need to shoot an open choke, etc.

25 rolling clouds of black smoke later, it gets pretty quiet...

Old February 6, 2001, 08:55 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Bozo Factor....

"It only takes one clown to #$%^&* it up for everyone".

Ignore him if possible, avoid him if not, and if nothing else works, tell him to take a flying something at a cactus.

Don't let it ruin your day...
Old February 6, 2001, 11:14 PM   #5
K80Geoff

One way to shut him up is to take his advice and deliberately miss every time he tries to coach you. Make him look like the fool he probably is.

Geoff Ross

Old February 7, 2001, 07:51 AM   #6
Kharn

Saiga 12 gauge or USAS-12 instead of the Fox would make him wet his pants. I suggest you get some form of evil shotgun to take care of those weenies.

Kharn
Old February 8, 2001, 02:25 PM   #7
Vyper45

agreed about the evil shotgun part, go there once with a benelli M1 tactical
Old February 9, 2001, 11:26 AM   #8
rx1

Being blunt is the only way. Letting somebody interfere with your enjoyment will screw up your entire week if you let it.

A directly stated "I'm a little busy right now, maybe some other day? OK?" will usually get them off your back - but don't engage them when they give you a smart-ass comment like "Ok, just trying to help"...

One comment, no replies... and them simply ignore them and enjoy yourself.

Why can't more people understand that when somebody wants advice, they either ask for it - or they pay for it.

Old February 9, 2001, 11:38 PM   #9
Gopher

Hand him the gun and some shells and say "Show me how." After the second or third miss take the gun back and say "Thank You."
Old February 10, 2001, 04:42 PM   #10
Badger Arms

This is more of a manners thing. I'd say it's most important to keep your disposition. The guy was most likely feeling pretty good about himself afterwards that he'd helped you out. He meant well. Some people just can't help but act stupid sometimes.
Old February 10, 2001, 05:54 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Flat out tell him what you're doing.

You're not shooting for score, you're shooting to find out about the gun's characteristics, and at that point you really don't care if you're hitting or not.

Thank him for his concern, but tell him you've got everything under control.

If you snap out at the guy, you're going to look like A-hole, not him.

Oh, and I guess since you asked, this advice IS wanted?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 10, 2001, 09:25 PM   #12
PJR

Mike:

Absolutely. I asked for the advice to see how others handle the situation.

Next time it happens I think I'll keep my composure and just say that while I appreciate his intentions I'd rather he not try and help me. I was frustrated because I was looking forward to some peaceful shooting with this gun.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old February 11, 2001, 10:23 PM   #13
hasher

1. Get a Benelli Mi Super 90 or somthing similar.

2. Pratice, pratice, pratice.

3. Next time this happens get M1 Super 90 out or car and shoot 80% or better.

A friend and I did this recently. The only thing that made it even better was when we were done and the other shooters commented on how well we had done. I proceded to pull a round of #4 Tactical Buckshot of the side saddle and ask "Do you think I would do better if I used different ammo?" (I actuallu used Federal #7's).