The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
customf1

Mossberg 500 practice shooting at the range

I just bought a Cabelas Exclusive 500 Home and field combo. I want to practice with the SD barrel at my local range. The range says I can only use 4, 3, 2, 1 or 00 buckshot, no birdshot. The question I have is what type of ammo is good practice with that has low recoil? I think Walmart has different types and I was thinking of going there. I would also be interested in firing some high quality self defense loads I hear there are some that come loaded with discs and projectiles. Thanks, Howard
Old September 17, 2012, 08:33 PM   #2
jonnyc

For HD stick to what works. That would be buckshot. With a little research you will find that 00 is the most popular, but others (like myself) prefer the idea of less wall penetration and go for #1 or #4 Buck.
As to practice, train with what you will be keeping in your shotgun.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:26 PM   #3
jmortimer

The Federal FliteControl buckshot will probably pattern the best. The reduced recoil buckshot is a good choice. Any of the buckshot sizes you mention will work just fine - #1 seems to be the best of all worlds.

Last edited by jmortimer; September 20, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old September 20, 2012, 02:43 AM   #4
TheKlawMan

I would ask Lee Lapin or Dave McC about practicing with a target load instead of buck shot. I have heard that law enforcement practices with the light loads, but you also need to be use to the recoil and noise of buck shot. I have never done anything to emulate firing inside of a dwelling, but on the range I wear ear protection and shoot in the open. Not so in an HD scenariol
Old September 20, 2012, 03:34 AM   #5
Justice06RR

Out of what you mentioned, I believe the #4Shot would have the smallest pellets therefore the least recoil (or do I have that backwards?) Lol.

But as already mentioned, I'd practice with 00Buck or whatever you intend to use for SD/HD. Or find yourself another range that lets you shoot whatever shells you want...
Old September 20, 2012, 07:16 AM   #6
teeroux

Quote:
Out of what you mentioned, I believe the #4Shot would have the smallest pellets therefore the least recoil (or do I have that backwards?) Lol.

1oz is 1oz doesn't matter if its 1oz of #4 buck or 1oz of 000 buck
Old September 20, 2012, 11:40 AM   #7
cajun47

i opened the door of my camp one night and shot some 00 buckshot into dry bank. sure it was loud! but no one was deaf or blind from it. same results with my .44 mag, .45acp, 9mm.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Pistolgripshotty

Shoot with what you keep loaded...unless you are hunting or disc shooting. I would recommend 00 buck personally. Hope ya find whats right for you.