The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 5, 2000, 11:10 AM   #1
Mikie

Does anyone know the method/technique for removing(without breaking) the retaining clip on the USP type recoil spring assembly?
I would like to replace the main spring with a heavier one since I routinely fire medium to heavy loads and have a failure about once every 100 rounds or so of the slide not completely locking closed.

Thanks,

Mikie

------------------
Old January 5, 2000, 12:08 PM   #2
Wallew

Mikie,
I would recommend AGAINST you modifying the recoil springs. Contact an HK dealer and I believe they can order you a strong recoil spring. If not, consider contacting HK directly and they may help you. I know that they do not send parts to non-HK dealers, but they might just send one to your local HK dealer if you asked nicely. Jim
Old January 5, 2000, 10:54 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mikie, with the problem not occuring more than once in 100 rounds or so I'd suspect the chamber getting dirty rather than the recoil spring. If the recoil spring was the culprit the problem would probably show up 3 or 4 times in every mag. A relaxed grip can also cause this by allowing the pistol to short cycle and not getting the full thrust of the recoil spring. George