The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 8, 2014, 09:09 PM   #1
mitranoc

Issue with Eotech?

I put an Eotech XPS2-0 on my AR a couple of years ago. It was new when I bought it, but was a floor model. It worked perfect up until now. I noticed last time that I went shooting at an outdoor range, it seemed more dim than usual on all brightness clicks? I figured it just needed a new battery? I changed the battery last night (with a lithium) and it didn't make any difference.

I notice a dark spot in the center that makes the dot and ring dim when using a proper cheek weld? When you view the dot and ring outside of that area, they're bright like they should be? It has not seen a ton of use, and hasn't been subject to anything out of the ordinary? I have never cleaned it with anything except a microfiber lens cloth.

Took it to one of my LGS today just to make sure I wasn't the only one seeing this. Everyone else confirmed that there is a definite issue. I emailed Eotech and will call them on Monday. Date of manufacture is April 2012, so I'd imagine the warranty should cover it?

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

George Washington

Last edited by mitranoc; March 9, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old March 18, 2014, 08:59 PM   #2
PUPP86

Not sure if you have the same issue I had a few years ago but it sounds familiar.

Apparently there is more than one piece of glass and mine (511 N battery version) started to de-laminate, and caused a dark spot like you are describing.

Ended up sending mine in however it was well out of warranty. Even so, Eotech / L3 offered a great discount on a new model which I took them up on.

They ended up sending my old one, along with the new one to me. The old one was sold on an auction forum with full-disclosure of the issue. Guy that ended up buying it, used it for airsoft.
Old March 27, 2014, 02:58 PM   #3
mitranoc

I got it back on Monday. They said that one of the inner seals wasn't seated properly, and caused nitrogen loss. 1 month away from warranty end, man I got lucky! Great customer service.

George Washington
Old March 27, 2014, 07:53 PM   #4
ronl

My 552 had the same problem and EOtech will replace the nitrogen and seal for $79. That's a lot cheaper than buying a new one. The CS guy told me to hold off a month or so because they are so busy. Mine is 7 years old so I've got my use out of it. It still works, but mine grows dim in one corner.