The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 17, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
M38 Mosin Nagant

My First Adventure in the Sporting Goods Section of Wal-Mart

So I walk in, hoping to find some .22lr Eley ammunition at wal-mart just out of curiosity. When I found the sporting goods section, of course, there was no clerk.

While I was looking for the ammunition cabinet myself, I couldn't help but notice that 99% of the sporting goods section was dedicated to airsoft and BB guns. That really ticked me off.

Alas, the ammunition cabinet. Here were it's contents:
-3 550 round bricks of federal .22lr ammunition
-One box of 30-30 winchester ammunition
-5 boxes of assorted .223 ammunition
-One box of .308 winchester ammunition
-2 boxes of .45 ACP ammunition

Apart from the 35 boxes of 12 gauge shotgun ammunition outside of the cabinet, that was all they had. The cabinet could hold 500x the amount of ammunition they put inside of it. Now, don't say they sold out, because when I came back a month later, the only difference was that they had one more box of 30-30 and all the federal .22lr ammunition was replaced by remington hollow point .22lr ammunition.

Of course, no real guns, not even muzzleloaders, just these toy BB guns.

Now, what else did they have? One cheap centerfire scope and more skeet launchers than god himself.

Overall, the sporting goods section was just bb guns and shotgun ammo, along with a lot of skeet launchers. I am never going to wal-mart for my firearm needs. Thank god they still sell hot pockets.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:15 PM   #2
oneounceload

Depends on where you live - where I am, one of the two closest ones carries reloading equipment, powder, primers, etc along with guns and all types of ammo
Old May 17, 2011, 08:52 PM   #3
chiefr

Concur with oneounce. Depends upon where you live.
Old May 17, 2011, 09:28 PM   #4
22-rimfire

I also visited WM today. No associate to be found so I left.

But they had a lot of 25 ACP, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45LC, 44 Mag, 223, 38spl, 30-30,380 ACP, 45 ACP (and more) and quite a bit of 22 ammunition including my favorite cheap stuff Federal Lightning 22LR.

You can forget about finding Eley 22 ammo at WM. About the best you are going to find is CCI HV.

Guns... oh sure. The cabinet was full. More WM's have guns or are getting them, but not all stores. Most in my area do however.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
hermannr

Every time (not often, they are 40 miles away)when I am in our Wal-Mart, there are at least 4 associates and a assistant manager manning the station, lots of ammo, lots of reloading stuff, lots of fishing gear and long guns.

I have never looked specifically for firearms there so I cannot say if the have handguns or not, but they have 4 glass display cases of long guns and a case of scopes, red dot etc.. I have all the long guns I need (and some) so I don't know what kinds of guns are actually in cases hold.

If you want some specific ammo, as a manager, they will order it for you. Our local little gun and pawn shop beats their prices though (at least in the quantities I buy at).

Oh, one thing that did suprise me..last time I was at out Wal-Mart they had some sub sonic remington copper tip target 22 shorts for reasonable. My wife like to shoot those out of her High Standard, they feed well, are accurate at 25' and 50' and are not very noisy. (I only purchase 1 box of 50 because I had not tried them in that picky little target cannon of her's BTW: they fed and fired just fine.

Anyway, at the checkout the clerk asked "are these for a handgun?" I said what? why do you ask? Then I said, well yes they are, but I do not know why the machine is asking you that...they are .22 shorts.

Anyway, I think they are gathering information on what the market is here...if they do not already carry handguns, they may be thinking about doing so...I will check next time we are done there. Oh yes, our Wal-Mart has always had firearms.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:46 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Anyway, at the checkout the clerk asked "are these for a handgun?"
The register is programmed to tell the clerk to ask two questions when selling certain types of ammunition. The questions are set up to insure that Wal-Mart (as an FFL holder) complies with federal law regarding the sale of handgun ammunition to persons under 21 years of age.

First question: "Is this ammunition for a handgun?"

Second question: "Are you 21 or older?"

If you answer "No" to the first one you will not be asked the second one. If you answer "Yes" to the first one and "No" to the second one (or can't/don't present an ID demonstrating your age) you will not be allowed to purchase the ammunition.

The questions are asked because some types of ammunition (notably .22 rimfire) are commonly used in both handguns and rifles.

Wal-Marts around here sell long guns but not handguns and generally have a small selection of common sporting firearms. Ammunition selection is decent as far as caliber goes but there's not a lot of brand variety. Ammo prices vary a little from one store to the other, but even at the more expensive stores their ammunition prices are hard to beat. Just under 20 cents a round for 9mm 100 packs at the Wal-Mart down the street.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Blackshirts

Quote:
99% of the sporting goods section was dedicated to airsoft and BB guns...

Alas, the ammunition cabinet. Here were it's contents:
-3 550 round bricks of federal .22lr ammunition
-One box of 30-30 winchester ammunition
-5 boxes of assorted .223 ammunition
-One box of .308 winchester ammunition
-2 boxes of .45 ACP ammunition
...when I came back a month later, the only difference was that they had one more box of 30-30 and all the federal .22lr ammunition was replaced by
remington hollow point .22lr ammunition....
Now, what else did they have? One cheap centerfire scope and more skeet launchers than god himself.

Overall, the sporting goods section was just bb guns and shotgun ammo, along with a lot of skeet launchers. I am never going to wal-mart for my firearm needs.
Sounds like that store found out what sells and what doesn't. If the ammo supply is the same as the month before then it must be a location where people weren't "going to wal-mart for their firearm needs" so they don't waste money stocking it. BB guns and skeet shooting seems to be what is popular in the area so that is what gets stocked. It isn't Wal-Mart stopping you from buying ammo there. It is all the people you live by.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:03 AM   #8
M38 Mosin Nagant

Found a Wal-Mart about 10 miles away from the one I went to. Much more ammunition and they actually sell firearms. I find this funny because there are at least 4 shooting ranges and only 2 mediocre gun stores around the one that I went to.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:26 AM   #9
CajunBass

Quote:
While I was looking for the ammunition cabinet myself, I couldn't help but notice that 99% of the sporting goods section was dedicated to airsoft and BB guns. That really ticked me off.
Why would that tick you off?
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 18, 2011, 09:22 AM   #10
griz

Walmart does mass marketing. They aren't going have Eley or any specialty items. That would be like expecting McDonalds to have Lobster on the menu.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:31 AM   #11
natjohnb

Quote:
That would be like expecting McDonalds to have Lobster on the menu.
Umm... McDonalds does have Lobster on the menu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPs6ocFO2PQ

Old May 18, 2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

As you noticed, it varies by store.

If you do a search, there is a thread on here about Wally and how they are planning to really expand their Sporting Goods Departments to draw in more males.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:43 PM   #13
t45

Out Walmart usually has a good supply of most handgun ammo. Last weekend they had the following:
22- multiple brands
25acp- WWB
380acp- Federal
9mm- WWB, Federal, Remington
40- Dont remember
10mm- Dont remember
45acp- WWB, Remington
38- WWB
357mag- WWB
44mag- WWB

2-boxes of Remington 45acp JHP and 2-boxes of 9mm FMJ WWB came home with me.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:53 PM   #14
microman

I went by the ammo counter tonight at my Walmart and they
had a lot of ammo.

44 magnum, two different brands of .45 acp etc... oh and
they did have some airsoft stuff too.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:22 PM   #15
Yung.gunr

Around here it's pretty slim pickins as far as I'm concerned. It's strange they have all this cabinet space and gunracks specifically for guns and ammo, but they are dang near empty most the time. I understand not wanting to have merchandise just sitting there so you don't lose money, but I wonder how much money they are losing by wasting all that space. I would figure that if they were well stocked we would be talking about how great it is and the word would get out and their stuff would be flying off the shelves. I went there just to compare prices on a bolt action .22 and they had some of the cheapest junkiest guns. I understand it's Wal-Mart, but come on.....
Old May 18, 2011, 11:52 PM   #16
old bear

Unless I can get there semi early I do my best to avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. They have good prices on what ammo they have in stock, but trying to get someone to unlock the ammo case can be trying at best. If and only if you can get what you need try getting to the front of the store to pay for it. Don't even get me started about having to take your life in your hands to walk to your car, much less leave the parking lot.

Life id just to short to shop at Wal-Mart.
Old May 19, 2011, 01:59 AM   #17
RockyMtnTactical

Some Wal-Marts are different from others.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:41 AM   #18
WC145

The Walmarts around me keep a pretty good ammo selection and generally have the best prices around. Picked up three 250rd boxes of UMC 9mm 115gr FMJ yesterday for $51.27ea and a 550rd box of Federal .22lr for $18. They're rifle ammo was a little on the high side, ended up getting 500rds of PMC .223 55gr FMJ at a LGS for $6.29 a box, the cheapest Walmart had was $9.95 a box.

Also, they're carrying long guns again at very good prices.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old May 19, 2011, 04:31 PM   #19
champ198

Our wally world has quite a bit of ammo as well as quite a few long guns and scopes and cleaning supplies and the basic shooting stuff.
was in there the other day and they had tons of handgun ammo 380,9mm 40 45 357 sig many i cant even remember...ours is normally pretty decent with ammo...wish ours had reloading supplies that would be great the little gun shop we have is horrible
Old May 19, 2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Boatme98

My local WW has about any common round you'd want. They even stock the 250 round yellow box for 9mm, .40, & .45.
Old May 19, 2011, 08:41 PM   #21
Ky Bob

My local WM hardly ever has any of the 100 value box of .45 but I can go to one 30 miles away and they'll have stacks of them.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:42 PM   #22
GLK

Our WalMart has multiple boxes of about every common caliber in stock and most in more than two varieties/brands. Even better the one right down the road is going to start stocking rifles and shotguns again. Additionally their prices can't be beat on ammo or firearm cleaning supplies. FWIW they also stock Nikon scopes and range finders as well as tons of fishing gear. I say long live WalMart, nothing I like better than an American success story.
Old May 22, 2011, 05:56 AM   #23
rshanneck2002

wallyWorld

Here in southern MI i havent seen any guns except straight line muzzle loaders (and very few of them really) in any of my local Wallys for several yrs now and very little ammo and it is basic stuff. I find this very strange with the amount of deer licenses sold every yr in this state,10 yrs ago every wally store around had lots of rifles and shotguns,christ they sold a slew of Weatherby Vanguards,Mossbergs, remingtons etc., then nothing?closed it right out. something happened in their policy and that is a given in this area. I have been told by alot of people that their clerks really,really messed up on the ATF paperwork and they were fined heavily and decided to get out of the business in our area,if true who knows? I used to buy alot of Q3131 their very cheaply to feed thru my AR at my local range,no more.
Old May 22, 2011, 06:11 AM   #24
1911rocks

Regional differences

The two WMs I've been to in Longmont,CO were both selling ammo, rifles, Scopes (even Leupold!), and hunting gear as well as fishing tackle. In central IN ammo, no guns of any type. There's a big difference in the WM in Greenwood,IN and Franklin,IN. Better shooting driven inventory in Franklin,IN. I'm sure that some DS at W-M corporate makes those determinations.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:15 AM   #25
customaquatics

i guess my walmart has the jackpot. off the top of my head i remember a mini-14, umm 7.62x39 ammo, .223 ammo, an assorted shotguns, rifles, an ammo an they are able to order anything.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.