The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1
10-96

Rem 1894 SXS 16ga!

I think I just made one of the better deals of the year do far. I just brought home a Remington Model 1894 16ga SXS, 30" bbls, Remington Steel bbls. There's not just a whole lot of finish left on her- no cracks or dents, but considering it was an old farmer's SG and everything works- I feel pretty tickled to get it for $200. Sorry, can't do photos right now- me and technology just aren't seeing eye to eye at the moment.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 24, 2008, 08:05 PM   #2
DMacLeod

200 seems like a great deal to me. I have one in 16ga also. Mine has been in the family tree for many years. And I plan to keep it for many more. Nice handling bird gun.
Old May 24, 2008, 08:37 PM   #3
10-96

It feels a whole lot more refined than my old Stevens 16ga which was made in the 30's or 40's.

Old May 25, 2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats. One of the better US made doubles. Great pointers.

A coupla things...

As with ALL old shotguns made before WWII, a trip to see Mr/Ms Gunsmith is in order. He/she can certify that it's a usable shotgun, vs a potential grenade or decoration.

This almost certainly has short chambers. Mr/Ms Smith can check that, along with whether it had headspace probs, safety issues, etc. Cheap insurance.

Polywad, etc, make 2 1/2" low pressure loads that will work in this.

Every old Remington I've run across has lots of choke. Depending on your intended use, you may want them opened up.

Also, while you can drop lots of cash into this for restoration, IMO, conservation will keep the history intact.

HTH, and enjoy....
Old May 25, 2008, 09:36 AM   #5
DMacLeod

Here's mine. It was passed down to my by my grandfather and him by his father. It was re sleeved (I think that is the terminology) back in the early 70s by my grandfather. He sent it out to Lefever to have the work done.

I still have the damascus barrels up in a closet. There is no rib as the rib was reused for the steel barrels. They cost him close to $500 back then to have the barrels built.

Old May 25, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6
10-96

I'm not altogether sure what I was thinking when I bought it. Somewhere in the back of my fuzzy little mind, I wrongly assumed it might be from the 20's or 30's- No clue it was pre-1900! I wanted a gentlemanly old 'occasional shooter', now... well, after I get it checked out- I may have a "very seldom occasional shooter" once I get those low pressure 2 1/2" loads.