The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2002, 10:49 PM   #1
jsr5

Barrel replacement

What all do you have to do to change a barrel on a 629 S&W. What tools do you need.
Old January 25, 2002, 11:39 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think the 629 barrels were never pinned, so you need a barrel vise and a receiver wrench shaped to fit the front of the receiver. The pinned barrels are not as tight, but you need a good hollow end punch to start the pin.

With the pinned barrels, it was often enough to clamp the barrel in the vise and use a couple of feet of 2x2 inserted in the cylinder well, but the newer guns without pins are torqued too tight for that and it could bend the frame.

Unless you feel you must DIY, you might be better sending it to one of the good shops like Cylinder and Slide.

Jim
Old January 26, 2002, 09:02 AM   #3
jsr5

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info Jim, I'll probably let someone else do it.

I just wondered if anything had to be done to the replacement barrel. Like mabe trim off a little on the end to correct the cyl. barrel gap, or maybe machine so the barrel rotates to the correct position.

The replace ment barrel is a new take off, from another 629.

IT just don't seem conceivable that you could change barrels without machine work.

Just wanted to know befor i talked to a smith.

THANKS
Old January 26, 2002, 02:23 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Done right, it is involved. Turn the barrel to frame interface so that the sight is lined up when PROPER torque is applied to mount the barrel. End of barrel probably have to be turned to insure decent gap. Probably also have to recut cone.

Factory stainless barrels are often overtorqued, leaving a ring in the barrel even with the barrel frame interface.

Sam