The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 22, 2015, 01:54 PM   #26
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceOne View Post
Ok, I've decided on a .22LR (Bolt Action). Decision was made purely on the fact that the only way to become a better marksman is to practice. And to practice the most on a budget is cheaper rounds.

Looking online for used Ruger Americans or Savage Mark II's. Anyone have any previous experiences with these? Or recommend other rifles?

By the way, when I buy a rifle and have them ship it to my FFL dealer, as a first time buyer, what do I need to bring with me?
Add any Marlin bolt action .22 to your list. I've had a 25n since I was 10 and it's capable of stunning accuracy with match ammo. These can be had for $100-$200 used/new depending on the configuration.

They're also cheaper than the Ruger or Savage rimfire guns and, imo nicer looking.
Old January 22, 2015, 04:00 PM   #27
DaleA

Quote:
I'm just a college student.
Just to make you feel bad, when I was in college if I wanted to learn how to shoot I could go over to the physical education department and sign up for a rifle course. If I did well I could join the school's rifle team. They supplied the guns and ammo...guess THOSE days are gone.

If you can find a range, a lot of them have some kind of league shooting or classes to teach you to shoot. That might be one way to go. There's nothing like competition to help you focus on what you're trying to do.
Old January 22, 2015, 04:03 PM   #28
cw308

DueceOne, I'm also a Long Islander ( Plainview ) shoot indoors in the winter Mitchell Field Range. Brookhaven Range in the summer outdoors. CZ 452 Varmint 22 LR bolt action is a very accurate rifle. Thats my winter indoor rifle, Remington 700LTR 308 cal. is my summer outdoor benchrest rifle. There is alot of shooters here, if your getting into 22's check out rimfirecentral.com Also hunting deer on Long Island is only shotgun or bow.
Old January 22, 2015, 04:04 PM   #29
Buzzcook

Quote:
By the way, when I buy a rifle and have them ship it to my FFL dealer, as a first time buyer, what do I need to bring with me?
In Washington state I need to bring my drivers license and money. New York might be different.
Consult your local laws about what it requires to legally buy a firearm.

When you buy on line the company might have your local FFL on file and that's real handy. If not you'll need to send proof that your FFL is indeed an FFL.

Many companies that sell on line give you a couple days to inspect your gun and if not satisfactory, ship it back.
So you'll need a bit of knowledge on how to inspect a gun.
If you take an introductory firearms class, they should be able to give you that knowledge.

The Savage Mk II is a fine gun.
I really really liked the CZ Lux that a friend let me shoot. I've also heard good things about the whole CZ line of .22s.

Find gun shops and try different models on for size.
Old January 22, 2015, 04:43 PM   #30
Doyle

Quote:
I've had a 25n since I was 10 and it's capable of stunning accuracy with match ammo. These can be had for $100-$200 used/new depending on the configuration.
Marlin 25N hasn't been produced in over a decade. It was replaced with the 925 which has been replaced with the XT-22.

I've been looking for a good 25N myself. I kick myself for letting a good one pass a few months ago.
Old January 22, 2015, 04:48 PM   #31
Doyle

Quote:
Looking online for used Ruger Americans or Savage Mark II's. Anyone have any previous experiences with these? Or recommend other rifles?
The Savage MK II is generally an excellent rifle. They have a reputation for great out-of-the-box accuracy. Their weakness has been in their magazines. Most of the time, the one that comes with your rifle will be OK but their quality control has let some bad ones slip past. They have also had some trouble with the magazines breaking. However, since Savage MK II magazines are relatively cheap and very easy to buy don't let that keep you from choosing it.
Old January 22, 2015, 05:01 PM   #32
Dragonflydf

When you are starting out, don't over look the BB gun or a pellet gun. They can be very useful for learning sight picture and trigger control, with the advantage of they can be used almost anywhere.
.22s are great for learning as you can get copies of a number of guns chambered in .22, everything from a colt SAA, 1911, M1 Carbine, UZI.
as far as a 30-06, as others have said, they can be expensive to feed. You might look at the Mosin Nagant as they are cheap, as is the ammo.
One thing I was told when I started shooting was you should have a good 22, a 9mm or larger pistol, a shotgun, and a center fire rifle, once you have those, you can take your collection in what ever direction you wish.

Good luck and have fun with what ever you decide to get.
Old January 22, 2015, 06:00 PM   #33
DueceOne

Been looking around, and see some guns of interest. I am keeping my eye on this used Savage MK II, but it doesn't have the factory sights. It does have scope mounts installed and I was wondering how much would an OK scope cost me?

The item is ending soon and not a single bid has been placed, it's currently going for $.01 with no reserve set...I feel like something is keeping people away from the rifle.

EDIT: Nevermind, it does have a reserve set.
Old January 22, 2015, 06:34 PM   #34
Doyle

Bud's will sell you a plain-jane Savage Mk II for $160 plus $15 shipping.
Old January 22, 2015, 07:30 PM   #35
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcook
The Savage Mk II is a fine gun
...I've also heard good things about the whole CZ line of .22s
Savages have a reputation for excellent accuracy, but I don't have experience with them. I do, however, have experience with CZ452s, and can vouch for their quality and accuracy.

If I were looking for an excellent all-around .22LR rifle, I'd seriously look at the CZ452 Trainer. Built on the 452 action, it's got excellent iron sights and the beech stock keep the price down. CZ transitioned to their newer 455 line, but here's a 452 Trainer on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=464364002

Scope? I suggested a "decent" one, but that doesn't mean it has to be crazy expensive. I'd avoid the real cheapies, though. The Mueller APV has been a very popular choice among rimfire shooters.

A CZ452 Trainer with a Mueller APV would be an excellent combo, and one you'll likely not outgrow for a very long time.
Old January 23, 2015, 12:01 PM   #36
doofus47

There's lots of good 22s out there.

When I was building a biathlon rifle, I bought a bunch of 22s to look over while contemplating the project.
I had an older Mark 2 (pre-accutrigger). I loved the smooth action and it was ridiculously accurate. It was a bit heavy. I hear that the recent Savage Mark 2s with laminated stocks are lighter and the trigger better, although I loved my trigger on my old mark2. I traded it to a buddy and he loves whacking prairie dogs with it. He still buys me beer.
I also bought a Winchester 69a. It was very light and very accurate as well. Weight doesn't sound like it will be an issue for you. I kept it for my kids' use, but it was too light to build up to a biathlon rifle. (There's a minimum weight limit).
In the end, I built up a marlin 2000. It was ok, but a bit heavy b/c of its bull barrel and the trigger was not as good as the others.
I sold the 2000 project rifle after I bought a Savage 90b biathlon rifle. The savage has a better trigger.
There's tons of good 22s out there; don't over think this. Find a rifle that fits you, b/c you will be shooting all day and a bunch of spare magazines.
Old January 23, 2015, 03:06 PM   #37
Blindstitch

I have a couple Marlins and a Rossi 22lr but the one I like the most is my Remington 581. Well that and the Stevens Favorite my mom has.

22's are horrible rifles because eventually you want to collect them all.
Old January 23, 2015, 03:19 PM   #38
DueceOne

Just a quick update guys! Purchased a Savage Mark II FV

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...IFV+22LR+AT+HB

Cannot wait.

What are the basic things to know/do when getting a new rifle?
Old January 23, 2015, 03:34 PM   #39
Blindstitch

For me I usually take them apart and clean them but that's more for used guns. Some guns you buy covered in grease like the last rossi I bought

Yours probably won't come like that but I would probably learn how to pull the bolt out of the action and check the bore. Might also unbolt it from the stock to see how that's made.

Are you planning on mounting a scope on it? If so I would find a set of low rings and a nice scope. 22lr is drops off pretty quick after 100 yards so figure that's max range. Some like expensive scope and some like me don't mind inexpensive ones. I think the price of scope really matters more when you want to reach out way past 100 yards.

Beyond that just get familiar with it.
Old January 23, 2015, 04:21 PM   #40
Doyle

Quote:
Get on Youtube and see if there are any vidoes on cleaning the MK II. Most new guns are shippied with a type of protective lubricant/oil on the metal parts that isn't the same as regular gun oil/lubes. You'll want to get that stuff off and replaced before shooting. Give the bore a good cleaning too and then a LIGHT re-oiling. When I say light, I mean just enough to leave a protective film. I usually oil up a patch, run it through, then run a couple of dry patches through it until they come out without showing anything.
Old January 23, 2015, 04:32 PM   #41
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceOne
The Four Rules of Gun Safety would be a good place to start.

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new rifle! Shoot it in good health.
Old January 23, 2015, 05:51 PM   #42
MrBorland

Quote:
I do want to become a great hunter, I want to become proficient with rifles because I intend to become a police sniper
Quote:
Congrats on your new rifle.

Spats offered a good start. As to how to start gaining proficiency, I offered some thoughts in an earlier thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556696
Old January 23, 2015, 11:18 PM   #43
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
Marlin 25N hasn't been produced in over a decade. It was replaced with the 925 which has been replaced with the XT-22.

I've been looking for a good 25N myself. I kick myself for letting a good one pass a few months ago.
Yeah, I didn't word that too well. I meant that used/new Marlin bolt action .22 rifles (25n, 800 series, 900 series, XT series) should run $100-$200.

I am going to refurbish my 25n in a few years for my son (he's two now) and put some Williams peep sights on it for him.
Old January 24, 2015, 01:43 PM   #44
cw308

Good luck with your rifle . Good choice, my advice would be to buy 1 box 50 rounds of 5 different kinds of 22's standard & high velosity to see which one your rifle shoots best. Barrel should be cleaned for each test. Don't dry fire on a empty chamber, with the bolt back trigger held back slide the bolt closed will cause the firing pin to move foward without dinging the chamber seat. Have fun & Be Safe.
Old January 24, 2015, 03:17 PM   #45
Buzzcook

Quote:
First congratulations on your new gun.

Good ear and eye protection are a must. Even though its "just" a .22 it can cause hearing damage and you might have a loudboomer next to you on the firing line.

Take a class, heck take several classes. It's best to get the basics down early and having an instructor really accelerates that. The NRA web site has lists of classes near you and most rifle ranges will have some kind of instruction.

After a few months seek out competition. You learn a lot competing and the people you compete against are more than happy to help a newbie.

Lastly have fun.
Old February 5, 2015, 06:51 PM   #46
DueceOne

Quick update guys, picked it up from my FFL dealer about two days ago. Ordered a cheap 3-9x32 Tasco from Walmart that I should be able to get by 2/13.

Any recommendations on what to look for in buying cleaning materials? Clueless when it comes down to what kind of oil, bore cleaner, etc. Don't even know how to begin maintaining the rifle.

Searched up some vids on youtube so I got them bookmarked on how to actually take apart the rifle and clean it.

Also, the bolt seems a little stiff. What can I do to make it slide a little smoother?

The Dick's Sporting Goods by me doesn't even carry any .22. I'm sure the ranges here sell some. Are they overpriced at ranges? Should I buy/bring my own targets to the range? Don't want to needlessly overpay at ranges.

Thanks a lot for the tips! Can't wait to mount the scope and start shooting.
Old February 5, 2015, 09:21 PM   #47
Doyle

Ordinary Breakfree CLP (normally available at Walmart) is pretty much all you'll need. It cleans and lubricates. Some guys put a very tiny film of grease on the locking lugs of their bolts but that isn't an absolute. As to the bore, don't clean a .22LR bore until it starts to show signs of bad grouping. The vast majority of .22's shoot much better on a fouled bore.
Old February 5, 2015, 09:59 PM   #48
Blindstitch

22 ammo has been semi scarce for a while but it's coming back. Some places online have deals if it can be shipped to your state.

The range will have their own markup and prices could vary. I try not to pay more than $8 for 50. But there are different quality standards. Some is just standard which can be had for $3 for 50 and then there's match ammo that can cost over $25 for 50.
Old February 6, 2015, 09:21 AM   #49
cw308

On Cleaning, Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner, Ballistol as a lube. Get a one piece coated cleaning rod, Dewey makes a nice rod. When to clean is up to you. Some clean after shooting & some clean when accuracy drops off. Midway USA has all the things you will need. Have fun, Be Safe.
Old February 6, 2015, 06:47 PM   #50
Snyper

Quote:
I'd suggest you study NY firearms regulations, since they are different than most places

Down here all you need is a Photo ID and a way to pay for it all