The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 14, 2008, 09:02 PM   #26
guntotin_fool

Hillbilly boy, you have a incountry source who I would be burning his puter up with PM's over sources, names and contacts for your trips.

At a 100 bucks a trip, I would plan on making several, maybe only doing a few small plains animals on the first, getting your feet wet and learning.
After you make contact, and find a trustworthy place, then consider heading back with some other options.
Old July 20, 2008, 09:18 AM   #27
sc928porsche

Its amazing.....Everyone seems to want to hunt dangerous game with small power rifles. Time and time again you hear how so and so shot timbo with a .243. What they didnt tell you is that the PH had to go after it with his arm cannon to finish the job. Most PHs will let you use anything you want but would really prefer that you brought something like a 416 Rigby or better for dangerous game. Before you go....Check with your PH and ask him what he would prefer that you use and go accordingly.
Old July 21, 2008, 12:58 PM   #28
Socrates

Actually, the pro hunter that I linked to likes rifles about 9.3 x 62, or 375 H&H. He figures most guys are much more likely to get an awkward shot on target with such calibers, yet still have enough penetration for an elephant brain shot, and power to break shoulders. He'd rather have someone hit the target area then miss with a cannon. The .416's are a real great compromise for plans game, and dangerous game, if you can shoot them.
Old July 21, 2008, 09:31 PM   #29
guntotin_fool

Porsche, dangerous game and plains animals are usually something quite different, sure there may be a leopard or buff in the mix, but for the most part, plains animals are from german shepard size, to elk sized creatures.

In what I read no one was suggesting a .243 for anything that will stomp or chew him up. people were talking about using a .243 for the appropriate sized animals. My uncle who was a missionary in southern Ethiopia, and then in Tanzania, hunted extensively with a .250 savage. He had a .45-70 for bigger things with teeth, but according to him, almost everything else was shot with a .250. Mind you, for them, hunting off the great herds was going to the supermarket, you drove out, shot something smaller and tasty, and drove home. They rarely shot large game animals because refrigeration was limited, and they would shoot what they could have cooked or processed in a day.

Seeing as he has the ability to go back and forth for relatively cheaply, the suggestion of taking the whole experience in steps seems wise. particularly when he has some people who are locals offering to help line him up with farmers and ranchers.
Old July 21, 2008, 11:59 PM   #30
TPAW

Quote:
I am wondering if a 30-06 with the heaviest bullets I can find will do.
Off the cuff I'd say yes. What are you going to hunt? Caution! With the world being what it is today, some Ba-Wan-E, (white hunters) have missed their flight home. Word to the wise. Our world is not a friendly one. Nuff said!
Old December 28, 2008, 03:22 PM   #31
Boston T. Party

The .30-06 is just about perfect, especially with 200gr
Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frame. Will handily take everything
from duiker to eland. Have used it there in 2007 and 2008,
with over 90 days in the field.

While I like the .338 Win very much, it's really only helpful on
a big eland bull, which the 200gr/.30-06 will dispatch just fine.

For a two-rifle battery, I'd take a .30-06 and a .416.

Boston

My new book Safari Dreams available from:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ari%20dreams&s
Old December 31, 2008, 09:01 AM   #32
lt dan

if 3 rifles are an option i will take 30-06, 416 and 243
Old December 31, 2008, 11:05 PM   #33
The Terminator

Take a look at this thread, you would be surprised at what maddog used on his African hunt. He bought it used, and took it with him. He did not use bone crusher, shoulder hurting rounds either. Drop him a pm, he probably has some real good advice.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...highlight=kudu
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)