The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Inspector3711

460 XVR Performance Center Scope Ring Height

A few years ago I acquired a limited edition 460 XVR PC pistol with a integrated Weaver style rail.

I'm finally getting around to purchasing a scope. I've read that Warne Maxima/Magnum rings are a great choice.

My question is, what ring height should I order?

Thanks!
Old January 31, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
jason_iowa

No clue. Its a cool gun. I wish I could buy one but have no practical use for it. Have fun with it!
Old February 1, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Inspector3711

Yeah it's only practical if you feel you must hunt big game with a hand gun... But I don't own many guns that I bought just to be practical

It was a toy and I couldn't pass up on the price. Maybe I'll hunt with it some day though, if I ever get back into hunting like I keep saying I will.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Doyle

Unlike a rifle where getting taller than required rings interferes with your check-to-stock weld, taller rings on a handgun really don't affect anything. They do, however, allow you to get your thumb underneath the scope bell to pull the hammer back. I don't know about your XVR, but on an Encore pistol that scope to hammer gap can get kind of tight for your thumb.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:39 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
Unlike a rifle where getting taller than required rings interferes with your check-to-stock weld, taller rings on a handgun really don't affect anything. They do, however, allow you to get your thumb underneath the scope bell to pull the hammer back. I don't know about your XVR, but on an Encore pistol that scope to hammer gap can get kind of tight for your thumb.
^^^This. If your XVR is like mine and has the integrated Picatinny rail on the barrel, and you're not using a frame mounted base, the scope will probably be mounted far enough forward that it does not interfere with access to the hammer. Ring height would then be determined by the size of the bell on the scope. If you are using a variable scope, it's nice to have more height for easier access to turning the zoom. When I had the 2X on mine, I used Medium height rings. I suggest you call(1-800-683-5590) Warne or go to their website and use their "technical support" page. They have always been more than accommodating for me whenever I had a question.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
ruggyh

I am using mid-hieght warne rings on my x frames

Shown here on a 10 1/2" 460

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 4, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Inspector3711

This is one like mine:

So it looks like the 10 1/2" model above as far as the mounting configuration will go, built in rail just forward of the top strap.

The rail is standard Weaver?

Thanks!
Old February 4, 2013, 07:30 PM   #8
ruggyh

Yes, Standard Weaver
Old February 5, 2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Inspector3711

That's what I figured, thanks.

I'm itching to get out and shoot this thing. It was fired once at the factory and has been in a safe since, yet to be fired again.

When I picked it up awhile back, I found there was a recall for faulty barrel steel so I sent it to S&W and had it checked out. It came back with a clean bill of health.

Unfortunately I have to wait for a bonus that will be paid out later this month.

Natchez has a blemished Burris 2-7X scope on sale for like 40% off right now. Bad timing.