The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 15, 2010, 02:38 AM   #1
New_Member_Name

confused

taurus raging bull 454 casull or S&W 460? heres the worst part.. i want to carry one of these, i'm just not sure which. not on my hip either, but a shoulder holster. the 460 seems to be quite a bit higher in terms of gun price, but i'm thinking the 8 3/8" bbl raging bull in 454 will be enough. thoughts?
Old November 15, 2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Venom1956

Carry for what? Why? We need more Info before we can offer opinions.

a shoulder holster for an X Frame or a Bull just seems like a terrible idea. Have you seen the SIZE of these guns?

Taurus is cheaper because in my experience it is a less refined product. I have a revolver nothing but headaches. OTH I've shoot someones PT92 and it was ok didn't really impress but it worked.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old November 15, 2010, 03:01 AM   #3
Sport45

Quote:
i'm thinking the 8 3/8" bbl raging bull in 454 will be enough.
Enough for what?
Old November 15, 2010, 03:29 AM   #4
New_Member_Name

what is the best way to carry these size guns? and as to why i want to carry one? i believe that size matters. plus i did see that Corbon carries SD ammo for the 454. who can argue that 454casull for SD is like.. incredible?
Old November 15, 2010, 03:53 AM   #5
Venom1956

Dear god u must be joking... 454 or 460 for SD? from what dinosaurs? jesus.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old November 15, 2010, 04:20 AM   #6
New_Member_Name

no, i'm not joking. dirty harry carried a big gun, ppl thought he was crazy for using such a big calibur. i'm only making sure i have enough power to stop someone, or something.. like a runaway car when it counts. i'm thinking i should go with the 454 casull raging bull 8 3/8" bbl. keep it in a vertical shoulder holster, plus with winter almost here, wearing a coat is something that will happen everyday. i think it was Corbon that has SD ammo for it also, 20 rds for 55 bucks. i just need to see if they make a speed loader for it now.
Old November 15, 2010, 04:37 AM   #7
Sport45

Have fun with that.

(And hope you don't need a quick follow-up shot.)
Old November 15, 2010, 04:54 AM   #8
Bear Hunter

Get both in one gun

You can shoot .454s in the 460, .45 Long Colts, too.
Old November 15, 2010, 06:33 AM   #9
shortwave

Quote:
confused
Quote:
no, i'm not joking. dirty harry carried a big gun, ppl thought he was crazy...

Never mind!
Old November 15, 2010, 06:53 AM   #10
Amin Parker

Many moons ago i used to carry a 6inch 357 mag. I stopped doing so because it takes long to draw that gun in a self defence situation.

Consider that problem. A snub comes out quicker than a 6inch. If u feel you can pull it out quicker then go for it
Old November 15, 2010, 08:38 AM   #11
shortwave

I'm sorry I just can't help it.

Quote:
dirty harry carried a big gun...
Quote:
i'm only making sure i have enough power to stop someone or, something.. like a runaway car when it counts.
From the sounds of your posts, you really need to get a grip on the difference between reality and what you're watching on TV.

My suggestion would be, before you bought anything for cc you really,really re-think the reason you're carrying and the seriousness of cc'ing. It's not about being macho, it's not TV or a joke and it can cost you everything you have(or hope to have) if you ever have to use it.

Also, you may want to take a good cc SD course which may change your mind about the thought that you HAVE to carry a 50cal. to be effective

FWIW, there's no 'one shot wonder' handgun out there. Within reason, accuracy is much more important than cal. size.
Old November 15, 2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Justice4Lady

You've gotta love sarcasm from anti-gun folks..at least I HOPE that was an attempt at humor..

Something that big/powerful for carry is over-kill in the extreme. Enough? For what? We dont have any rhinos or elephants, and only rarely does one see a run-away City Garbage truck in need of disabling...

Your chiropractor would love for you to carry one CCW,though..
Old November 15, 2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Jimmy10mm

Have you carried in the past ? Aside from the large size making such a revolver difficult to conceal the weight would be extremely tiring if you're going to be carrying all day.

Next comes combat effectiveness. While the cartridge will stop about anything less than a grizzly that you are likely to encounter getting back on target for a second shot will be difficult unless you are a seasoned shooter.

In case whatever you are encountering is shooting back at you this may be a something you'll want to consider. Watch the first Dirty Harry movie again and note the recoil. I would suggest you think about a Glock 23 or 29 if you want something a bit more powerful. Just IMHO.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:08 PM   #14
shortwave

Quote:
You've gotta love sarcasm from anti gun folks... at least I HOPE that was an attempt at humor.
I wasn't going to respond to this thread at all till I got thinking about how the OP's comments sounded and must sound to a visitor of this site.

From reading the OP's posts I don't think he's anti-gun or is being sarcastic.

IMO, I believe he's serious but just doesn't have a clue about cc, nor the responsibility of doing so. Or maybe understand the responsibility of owning a gun period.

Problem is, his ignorant statements are what the anti's love to hear. They (the anti's) use this kind of thinking to stereotype all responsible ccp carriers as well as all gun owners as having this ' Rambo' mentality.

This might be the internet but it is very wise to pick our words carefully for several obvious reasons.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Venom1956

I checked into the OPs other posts after reading this thread and not to sound rude but some of his posts I found 'concerning' especially for someone that CCs.

Shooting a neighbors 5lbs dog for being annoying? Seriously?

But I will try to answer his question perhaps he is a new gun owner. Or just young...

Carrying a Taurus Bull or an X-Frame just seems foolish, you'll get one shot even if you can even manage to get a 8" barrel out of a holster fast enough. A quality snub .357 should handled anything you need a carry weapon to do if you want a revolver.

Quote:
i'm only making sure i have enough power to stop someone, or something.. like a runaway car when it counts.
Your not a superhero when you carry nor a LE officer. Your mindset for carrying is incorrect. you need to worry about you, JUST you. Honestly if you do see a situation you feel the need to 'intervene' something that you can't just walk away from you need to be prepared to go to jail because that sort of thing isn't always as clear cut as a SD situation.

There I've kept it civil. Try and return the favor. But to be honest your posts attitude and responses have left me wondering if you are an actual gun owner or just someone trolling looking to waste peoples time.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:43 PM   #16
hardworker

New_Member_Name I read your post and I don't think a 460 is adequate for your needs. I'l like to think a 460 can stop a runaway truck but we're in a recession and I wouldn't want to chance it. If I were you I'd find something in 500 S&W and use the 700gr ammo. Maybe you could use a sawed off double barrel loaded with slugs as backup.
Old November 15, 2010, 01:03 PM   #17
Magnum Wheel Man

aside from what the others have said, over penitration could be a serious problem... I know this was TV... but a week or so on the new show Chase... the bad guy ( a marshall wanna be ) shot through the guy he was trying to shoot, through an aluminum truck body, & killed a bystander outside the truck...

if you put yourself in this position, even if the guy you shot was justifyable, the 2nd death was not, & would / could put you in jail, or cost you everything you own...

modern bullets & cartidges used are a compromise meant to function as designed most of the time, while cutting down on over penitration, in an attempt to reduce accidental shootings...

don't get me wrong, I like big bore guns... 44 special, & my newest will be in 45 colt with modern self defence loadings, but both of these guns are 3" or less barrels, which also speeds draw, & cuts down on velocities, & resulting penitration...
Old November 15, 2010, 03:18 PM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

Folks,

I will remind everyone that if you have a problem with a poster, or the poster's message, you REPORT the thread or message.

The LAST thing you do is get into a discussion about the merits or motives of the poster in an open thread.

That is a pretty easy way in which you can lose your posting privileges at TFL.

Understood?

For obvious reasons, closed

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread