The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 7, 1999, 11:40 AM   #1
TOMBSTONE

I have my fathers old swedish Husquarvaner(spelling?)
30-06 bolt action rifle that is about 48 to 50 years old.About ten years ago the stock was cracking and my father had it glass bedded and rienforced with pins.That did the trick for a while but now it doesn't shoot that accurate and I would like to restock it.
My biggest question is,are there any synthetic stocks made that would fit this action.Perhaps those drop in swedish mauser stocks.How do I know or find out what will fit this gun.I would hate to have a custom wood stock made for it, because it probably would be very expensive and I like the look and durability of synthetics.However;I'll take any advice on how too proceed with the synthetics or wood restocking.Thanks in advance,TOMBSTONE

Old March 7, 1999, 02:44 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Reihhart Fajen of Warsaw MO should havewhat you want. Don't have the phone # anymore, but give them a try. If they don't have what you want they can direct you.

HJN
Old March 8, 1999, 02:02 AM   #3
Unkel Gilbey

Tombstone,
Don't forget about Midway USA, the big reloading/shooting company (visit their web site). They have many different makes of aftermarket stocks available, and any that will fit a Small Ring (SR) Mauser, like your Swede, should work fine. Expect to spend anywhere from $69.95 - $250.-- + for what you're looking for. Also, check with Century Arms, they sell reconditioned Swedes, and a bunch of parts. Good luck!
Old March 8, 1999, 12:25 PM   #4
TOMBSTONE

thanks for the help,Ralph
Old March 25, 1999, 11:23 AM   #5
DLS

Fajen went out of business in January. Try Great American Gunstock Co. at www.gunstocks.com DLS
Old March 25, 1999, 01:33 PM   #6
MUZZLEFLASH

You should also try BOYD BROS. they also a stock mfg.
(I think they are Fajen , I'm not sure.)
Old March 26, 1999, 07:37 AM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tombstone if you go synthetic just about any of the synthetic suppliers in a gun mag, Choate, Bell & Carlson HS-Precision etc., will have stocks to fit your rifle. If you prefer wood however, I've had good luck with Richards Microfit (818) 767-6097. I've stocked a bunch of Mausers with their 95% inletted stocks. They call them seconds, but I have yet to figure out why. They're English Walnut with rosewood forend tips and grip caps. All have had beautiful figure and with a little work turn out great. If you like doing things like this yourself it might be the way to go. Even if you had it installed by a gunsmith it would probably still be relatively inexpensive. And at $41.80 shipping included, it's a hard deal to beat. George
Old March 27, 1999, 10:28 AM   #8
TOMBSTONE

Thanks for all the assistance.I have just ordered a synthetic stock from CHOATE Machine and Tool,Inc. Fred Choate was very quick to respond to my e-mail's,and very helpful.Well take care,RS
Old April 14, 1999, 07:09 AM   #9
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

TO ALL:
I have just checked out the website, gunstocks.com, at the recommendation of DLS. I know the old company, Bisops, and have delt with them since the early 1980's. As this company, The Great American Gunstock Co., is a dirivative of the Bishop family They know their business and I recommend them.

HJN