The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 13, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1
carolinaflats

Trigger adjustment on a Model 70.

Hi all,
Was wondering in the trigger on my Winchester Model 70 Coyote is user adjustable or if a gunsmith is needed to do the job? Right now the trigger is quite heavy, I'd guess around 7 or 8 pounds. I'd like to lighten it down to around 3 or 4. Anyone done this themselves that can offer advice? Thanks,
Seth.
Old February 14, 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

here is a site with directions for you

Here is a link that has everything written down for you to follow along. It isn't that difficult of a job with the right tools. Use the exact size wrench for the nuts so you can get them separated and make sure to use a screwdriver blade that fits the screw. After you get it to where you think you want it, make sure to test it out for failure to hold. The first few times I did this, I had to go back and readjust the pull to keep it from firing if bumped hard. I try to keep mine around 3 lbs for customers, but I have mine around 2 lbs and it is safe at that weight.

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/win70trigger.html
Old February 14, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3
carolinaflats

thanks cntryboy!
Old February 14, 2005, 01:53 PM   #4
carolinaflats

I have removed the bolt, trigger guard floorplate, and magazine liner but it doesn't seem like the receiver wants to come out. Is it just tight or have a missed something? If it is just tight, what is the best way to coax it out? Thanks again,
Seth.
Old February 14, 2005, 08:25 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

rear screw

Make sure you have removed three screws and not just the front two. They use a third screw in the rear of the trigger loop and one in front of it and the front floorplate screw. It is tough some times to remove the actiion and barrel. What I do is tap the barrel just in front of the forearm with a deadblow hammer or a good rubber mallet. One blow is usually enought to separate them.

Winchester adds a flexible type of bedding material at the factory. I remove it and rebed the rifle correctly when they come in if the customer wants it. They add enough to bed just the recoil lug and then at the rear of the reciever. Mine shot fine out of the box, but it shoots a lot better after being pillar bedded. They usually come free floated all the way to the lug, but I add bedding material to about 2 inches in front of the lug.