The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 6, 2016, 08:08 AM   #1
brasscollector

Hydro dipped rifle stocks

I'm sure some of you have had your rifles stock hydro dipped. I've been thinking about having this done to one of my rifles if for nothing else just to experiment. Currently have one with a cheap ramline plastic stock that I am willing to cover up with camouflage. How does hydro dipping hold up to wear and handling? I'm sure there are brands of decals that hold up better than others. A co-worker offered to hydro dip for the cost of the decals. He also mentioned to apply some clear coat over top but I wouldn't want any coating that is going to make it any harder to hold onto with gloved hands or in wet weather. Suggestions? advice?
Old November 6, 2016, 08:41 AM   #2
TMD

It doesn't hold up very well at all.
Old November 6, 2016, 06:19 PM   #3
tahunua001

yep, not good stuff.
Old November 6, 2016, 07:45 PM   #4
brasscollector

Glad I asked. I will just leave it as is. No sense in making it any worse looking.
Old November 7, 2016, 01:14 AM   #5
OcelotZ3

No personal experience, but I've heard that it needs to be clear coated after to hold up at all.
Old November 7, 2016, 09:31 PM   #6
jmr40

On a cheap stock buy a can of Krylon. Or several cans in the colors of your choice and have at it. Google images of painted rifle stocks for ideas. Some look very good.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...fr=tightropetb
Old November 7, 2016, 11:25 PM   #7
Saltydog235

I've had 4 dipped, one I use all the time. Going on 4 years now and it's held up well. When I say held up, my deer season is 4 months long and I hunt 5-6 times a week. Then I hunt pigs for 3 more months then shoot a good bit. There's some wear on the forearm but that's it. Dipping is like anything else, proper prep is key to a quality finish.
Old November 8, 2016, 10:31 AM   #8
AK103K

Ill second the paint thought. Its durable, easily touched up, and usually completely removable, with the right paints.

I know it wont give you the fancy patterns some of the dips will, but the effect is still very good, and if youre duplicating military type patterns, you can get really close with most of them just using rattle cans.

Ive been painting guns since the late 60's, and over the years, have done quite a few. Ive removed paint from guns that had been painted for over 20 years, and the wood and blued metal underneath was still pristine anywhere it was covered with paint.
Old November 9, 2016, 08:41 PM   #9
lockedcj7

I was thinking about it too until I researched the process. They paint a base color on and then apply the pattern using basically clear decals. Then they cover it with an epoxy clear coat.

I have a friend who just paints them and then does the epoxy clear. Money saved, they come out great and hold up just as well as dipped.
Old November 12, 2016, 07:30 PM   #10
DPI7800

Just go get some rattle cans and tape and go to town. When it get too scratched up redo it. But I find the more it gets scratched up the better it looks.