The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 12, 2008, 06:21 PM   #1
moddek

correct pistol form

anyone suggest a website or book, podcast or any other kind of media i could get my hands on, outside of a class or expert to help with shooting stances grips and overall techniques...thanks
Old August 12, 2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a start...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=263025
Old August 13, 2008, 01:13 AM   #3
fourrobert13

www.youtube.com has a few decent videos that you might be interested in. Just type what you are looking for into the search. I have seen several on grip, stance, and practice drills that aren't bad. I would recommend a training class though, that way an instructor can physically show you how to fix your problems.
Old August 13, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4
kraigwy

BlackwaterUSA put out a CD on Basic Pistol Shooting. It will have what you are looking for. I use it in my CCW classes and Ladys's Pistol Defence clinics.

Its basic but much better then the NRA Pistol Tapes and CDs.

http://proshop.blackwaterusa.com/vie...ining&Search=N

This CD is good for Defence, Competition or what ever pistol shooting venue you are interested in.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 13, 2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Hornett

Just type in Todd Jarrett in the youtube search.
You will find some good instruction from him.
This one is excellent IMO.
Old August 14, 2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Keltyke

I gotta recommend a class. You just can't learn some things by watching a video. Your stance, grip, and sighting is a very personal thing, and, with experience and practice, you will develop what works for you. The class will help you to not learn bad habits at the first.
Old August 15, 2008, 11:31 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourrobert13
www.youtube.com has a few decent videos that you might be interested in....
Yes, but it also has plenty of awful and incompetent wannabe instructors who can do a student a lot more harm than good. Look for videos by a person using the screen name, shootingcoach or by Todd Jarrett. You can ignore the rest with reasonable assurance that you probably won't be missing anything.

Check out this site as well: http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=118

But videos, books or stuff on the Internet is a poor substitute for a class. You will be able to learn more faster having a qualified instructor watch you and make suggestions.
Old August 16, 2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Pat-inCO

Todd Jarret video - Excellent.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:34 PM   #9
Lurper

Professional advice from a professional:

http://www.youtube.com/user/shootingcoach

www.personalshootingcoach.com
Old August 16, 2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Threefeathers

I agree about classes and personal instruction. However books and tapes do help.
Start with Combat Handguns by Massad Ayoob. The Concealed Carry Handbook by Bird.
Go to Brian's Forums for great advice and tapes online.
Get Combat Handguns monthly, American Handgunner, and any others you want.
Old August 16, 2008, 06:26 PM   #11
marino13

gun talk.tv

somebody here recommened it and i find it very informative---you can get alot of info from these guys--tfl people
Old August 16, 2008, 07:49 PM   #12
Stone Cold

Ditto for the Todd Jarret video. Good grip basics.
Old August 17, 2008, 07:25 PM   #13
fjk1911

CC Handbook is worth reading. Tactical training is irreplaceable.

The Weaver Stance is great, two hands are great, hearing protection is great, however a BG is not going to wait until you get into your preferred stance until he tries to cap you or your partner - and God forbid if there is more than one BG. When split seconds count you do what you can. Attending a series of LFI classes with Ayoob would be a good start if you can afford it. I am sure others are similar, just depends on your proximity to where the classes are and what you want to accomplish.

Your brain is your first asset for awareness and assessment, cover is second asset, ability to adapt third, hitting the BG next. Practice, practice, practice... drawing from you actual carry rigs, strong side, weak side, primary gun, backup gun, all possible positions, one hand, two hand. Also, if you travel in packs, like my wife and I, or my sons and I, practice coordination between the two (or more) of you. That is one reason this family has standardized our carry weaponry. Standard weapons, standard mags, standard speedloaders and knowing how the other person is going to act. A gunfight is not a scripted exercise. If you have ever been fired upon or even held on, you can relate, let alone ever having to fire back. Kind of like, "hold on a second bro while I rack my slide...." Ain't gonna happen. Cocked and locked or a DA wheelgun.

Lastly, never go anywhere with a gun that you would not go without one. That tidbit of info is priceless and lifesaving. If you wouldn't walk into the hood without your shiny new Sig, don't do it at midnight. Also, remember the majority, 70 to 80%, of encounters occur at less than seven yards and basically the same percentage occur in subdued lighting. Target practice at 50 yards at noon is not quite relevant. If someone is firing at me at 50 yards I am running and looking for cover, not returning fire.

Respectfully and my two cents.
Old August 17, 2008, 10:17 PM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjk1911
...a BG is not going to wait until you get into your preferred stance until he tries to cap you or your partner - and God forbid if there is more than one BG. When split seconds count you do what you can....
Trigger control is the first principle of good shooting -- a smooth, press straight back on the trigger with only the trigger finger moving to a surprise break.

If you can develop good trigger control, you can hit your target on your knees, on your belly, squatting, leaning, with your body twisted to face the target, while moving, or while standing on one leg. In IPSC and IDPA one shoots from unconventional postures all the time. If you are training in the defensive use of a handgun, you will also be shooting from unconventional postures, especially while moving or leaning around obstacles (cover). And the secret of getting hits under those circumstances is trigger control.
Old August 18, 2008, 01:53 PM   #15
fjk1911

+1 fiddletown.

No dress rehearsals. I was going to mention IDPA in my post but it was cluttered enough.

Best regards.
Old August 18, 2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Frank Ettin
Staff

Thanks, fjk1911.

And BTW,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjk1911
...never go anywhere with a gun that you would not go without one...
Excellent advice and too often forgotten.