The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 17, 2000, 03:59 PM   #1
Robert Foote

The museum I assist at (firearms conservator) has been given a 1956-vintage M94 .30-30 carbine, #2,153,XXX. While in mechanically good condition with an excellent bore, the exterior is not so great. A recoil pad has also been fitted. I am wondering if it might be worth a certain degree of 'restoration' with the object of raffling it off to raise funds--we have raffled off a couple of guns recently with good results. (To hell with political correctness.)

Question: what is the standard length of pull on this gun? The wood on this one measures 13" from stock-to-metal joint at front to center of butt, on a centerline. I suspect that the stock was not shortened,but do not have a sample on hand to judge by and my references do not mention this. Naturally, the original butt plate is missing. As I recall it would be a simple flat plate, probably checkered--but am not certain. Any suggestions for a source on this and other pre-64 parts? Wood, if I decide to replace the existing wood? Suggestions as to a professional pre-64 type reblue?

Essentially I am considering whether to do a low-budget 'restoration' on this rifle or spend bigger bucks. I am inclined to do the latter if the museum board will spring for it...

I have some ideas but would like to hear others as well...

------------------
Old September 18, 2000, 08:27 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Gun Parts should be able to help out with the parts, www.gunpartscorp.com.
Sorry but don't know the measurements offhand. Will try to find out if Harley or someone else doesn't know the answer.
Old September 19, 2000, 11:11 PM   #3
Herodotus

My 1956 Model 94 Winchester Carbine (#2,282,xxx) has a length of pull at 13 1/8" from center of trigger to the center of the wood butt and approximately 1/8" more to middle of the flat checkered steel butt plate.
The rifle is not a very expensive one at this time, but it is well made one. I bought mine at auction for $200 last year.This was perhaps an better than average deal. It is in excellent condition inside and out. The old varnish had chipped, looking bad, so a very careful stripping and reapplication of an oil finish (purposely not original) was all I did to it. You guys should get these '50's ones right now, as I think they will tend to appreciate in value, even though made in large numbers.
The low current price of these arms makes any professional restoration dubious if one is thinking of making money on these arms at present. I would think that a good cleaning would be all that was desirable, unless the old varnish finish has become unsightly.
I don't know who to recommend for bluing. I would not recommend this. Your 1956 dated aarm is, however, in the middle of a very narrow time slot in which rebluing of these arms is feasable. Difficulties and unpredictable results can be obtained in trying to reblue both the Nickle Steel pre-1947 and the Alloy Recievers of the post '64 period.
Wood can be obtained from: www.wenig.com
These are former Reinhart Fajan/Bishop stock people located in Lincoln, Mo. See their site and contact them for options available.
I doubt that this will be economic. Its probably better just to spruce up the old stock.
I am not sure who has the best selection of old Winchester parts. You might look in Gun List or Shotgun News.
You might also check out the people at Winchester: www.winchester-guns.com
Be aware that there could be problems trying to fit an old steel butt plate to the stock if it has been shortened, maybe even if it has not been shortened. The butt plate might be too small or too big for the end of the stock, necessitating either some stock reworking or some metal work. It is unlikely to be a perfect fit, as the original no doubt was.

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited September 20, 2000).]
Old September 20, 2000, 10:18 PM   #4
Robert Foote

Thank you, Herodotus. I agree with your commentary. I think I will do some initial metal prep and get a decent, standard local reblue and see how the wood comes around. There is some unfortunate 'folk art' in the wood but I think I can remove it with some judicious rasping and sanding. I think the objective here will be to make it into a decent pre-64 shooter. As you say, these rifles are still undervalued at the moment so it would be a bit foolish to put too much into it. Guess I will start on it when the weather closes in.

------------------