The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What I did with my 30-30 yesterday.

Went to the Range yesterday. Since I have a traveling bag I can reload right on the spot. (<That helps) Had some IMR 4198-- A-A-2230 & A-2400 along and a fair amount 311041s G/C in a baggie resized/lubed to .311 and a mitt full of old Win 170 gr. coveted Silver Points. My plan was to build mediocre cast and high speed Jacketed cartridges with hopes not having to drift punch my Winny's 94 rear sights to compensate between the two loadings. After 5-hours of experimentation with all three powders. I got it done. The only difference between the two cartridges was the rifles rear sight elevator needing to be moved 2- bumps up for cast and two bumps down {or no adjustment} for Jacketed. And both rounds hit a 100 yard 4" target circle about 2-1/2" Right of dead center and 2" low. To my surprise both cartridge firings hit nearly in the identical location. So close it was hard to tell which bullet impact was which in my spotting scope. {Thank Goodness for masking tape to determine which is which.} It was a pleasure shooting the cast having little recoil but not so with those Jacketed having more than enough recoil to ware me down and cause some shoulder bruising. On this particular rifle I was surprised how I could steer its bullet impact simply by changing its powder and/or scale weight. Now I have a (Pre) Winchester 94 my Two-Fer rifle. (For the Range & the Woods.) Have any of y'all tried to accomplish the same task with your rifle/s? __I'm interested in knowing "What was the outcome?"

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; September 25, 2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: oops>extermination replaced with experimentation
Old September 25, 2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Jbotto

That sounds like quite the feat! Definitely cool though!
Old September 27, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

No takers. No one's tried. Really? >O well.
Old September 28, 2013, 03:22 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

Sure Shot,

In the past I have worked up several rifle loads to hit the same POI at 200yds, but these were all with jacketed, and different wight bullets. They wee for specific uses, like the 60 - 70'ish grain .243 for coyotes and the 100gr for deer.

I haven't quite gotten around to slinging pure lead down range with my long guns just yet, but am hopeful that it won't me too long until I do. I have everything to DO it, I'm just having too much fun with those darned revolvers.
Old September 28, 2013, 06:08 AM   #5
dlawson

I've done nearly the same experiment with my 7mm rem mag using 168gr bergers and 139gr hornady btsp. Didnt really have a specific reason for doing the test except pure enjoyment of shooting.
Old September 28, 2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Hawg

Not with jacketed and cast. I worked up a load with two different bullets for my 30-06's. The same load with different bullets hits the same POA in two rifles. 57 grains of IMR 4350 with 165 grain Nosler BTBT and 168 grain Sierra HPBT Match
Old September 28, 2013, 05:25 PM   #7
snolden

.30-06 with 110 VMAX, 165 BTSP, and 178 AMAX. The 110 is 9 clicks off the other two but aside from that it is good. Beyond 200 yards, I gotta use the drop charts