The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 15, 2009, 12:33 PM   #26
turbotype87

hog hunt

What did they do with all that meat? Must of had a huge pig roast.
Old December 15, 2009, 06:10 PM   #27
MoBart

the earlier posts were saying was left. I can see that cause like they said it was an eradication effort not a regular hog hunt. They are getting bad all over. I live in Missouri and we have new rules pertaing to muzzle loader and bow hunting. It used to be that you absolutly did not have a modern fireamr any where near you when hunting iwth a bow or frontstuffer, now if your in the southern part of the state around where the hogs are worst, they say make sure you do. They aren't considered game animals ere so we have free rain to hunt when ever nad how eveer we feel like. I'm thinking an AR-10 or FN L1A1??? I'd bet those guys were using some kind of AR 308 with a suppressor stuck on the end or something cause that wasn't a normal sounding 5.56 or .223 report either.

I shot a hog in Arkansas several years ago with .357 Mag, I think 185 gr jacked soft pint (can't remmeber the wieght but do the bullet) buy remington. Didn't penetrate the skull at 20 yards. Might ahve been the angle or something but it punched through the hide and meat, and was lodged in the skull. He was down and still moving so I got closer and finished him off behind the head into the brain pan and it penetrated perfectly that time, lol
Old December 15, 2009, 06:47 PM   #28
bcarver

to the .223 na sayers

These were close shots.
cheap .223 ammo...steel core ...is going straight out the bottom at that range.
the report was muffed due to recorded cutting out due to increased decibels.
just like electronic ear muffs.
They were wearing camo because the thick warm coats they owned were camo. Camo is not always a statement. We are talking about rural Texas.

The carcass if not recovered were probably removed from the farmers fields.
the pigs were not killed for sport(although it looked damn fun) or meat.
Those hogs demolish fields. I never would have believed how much damage they could do until I witnessed it myself.
One field l saw looked as if it had been plowed.
Hogs leave mud wallows that are not easily tilled away. They feed at night when hunted and travel in packs concentrating devastating.

Until you have walked their feeding ground it is hard to believe.

I say shoot them if you can every time you can and dress them if and when you want.
Old December 15, 2009, 11:18 PM   #29
andrew66

I think (although dont agree with this) that they cant legally take the meat. It would turn their program into a hunt. It was stated that helicopter HUNTING was illegal in texas.
this video would have been way cooler if the guy dressed up as rambo, or the grim reaper
Old December 16, 2009, 01:13 AM   #30
Ghost22

There using both an AK and an AR

From what I've heard this is one of the few ways to truly reduce the population. Think about it; when ground or stand hunting you may get a few at best in one sitting. I've heard of 6 in one night while spotlighting and running across a large group. This team took out many times that in the video, which appears to be one day. While hunting them is fun (and gives us something to do after the deer tag is punched), ground hunters cannot kill enough to really thin them down.

As far as the camouflaged clothes, it’s the warmest outfit they have per their comments. I’m the same way; my 20 degree outfit is camo. After nearly freezing on my first hunting trip, I purchased cold weather wear and all I could find was camo. I’ve stayed warm ever since, even if I did look somewhat dim sitting in a tin, wood and rusted pipe stand with green and brown camo overalls and coat.

Last, I’ve tried to do the proper hunting practice of eating what I kill. I shot my first hog, a young 60ish pounder, at near dusk in cold temperature and had him quartered and on ice before he was cool. That pig made some of the worst sausage I could image and was eventually thrown out. No one, not even fellow hungry college friends, would eat it.
Old December 18, 2009, 10:44 AM   #31
gkdir

How many of you old "Nam"rats got that old rush from watching this-- damn!