The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2001, 09:21 AM   #1
KeithL

In hopes of creating a .22-ish load for my 30.60, I put together a batch of cast 93gr lead RN over 3, 4, & 5 gr loads of Unique. (I did a lot of reading & referenced several articles on this!) All fired fine with groups of 1-3" at 25 yds. First group w/5gr was about 1", but then between the wind & snow, the cold was getting to me. (That's my excuse for >1" groups.) I did not use any filler over the light powder charges, but did elevate the muzzle prior to each shot. The groups were also shooting about 3" below my normal jacketed "hunting"loads. Anyone else experiment along these lines? I'm in search of a real light, quiet load to take along for small game during breaks from elk hunting.
Old April 22, 2001, 02:48 PM   #2
Paul B.

Keith. That's real good advice Don gave you about keeping the squib load cases seperate from the full power cases.
To keep from having to elevate the rifle for each shot, I take squares if single ply toilet paper and cut them into four pieces. I place one of the piece over the powder using a 16 penney nail with the point filed off. You can also use an appropriately sized wooden dowel as well, but make sure the using end is very smooth. The TP will usually stay in place with the mild recoil. When shooting into the wind, the confetti that blows back at you is always good for a laugh.
Paul B.
Old April 22, 2001, 09:15 PM   #3
CapeFear

Try the 170 grain .309 or .310 from Beartooth over 4 grains of Red Dot or Bullseye and work down from there. It will shoot smaller groups than the lighter bullets without a doubt.
Old April 23, 2001, 10:35 AM   #4
MADISON

Squib 30-06

I load 4.1 grains of Unique behind a 55 grain bullet in 22 Hornet.
I also load 5.6 grains of Unique behind a 55 grain bullet
in a .223
Both loads are close to 1850 feet per second and fall off drasticlly after 25 yards..
Get the information frooom pages 90 through 93 in the LEE Loading Manual and order the $5.00 Squib load MS Dos program. You can take "any" rifle bullet with the powder you are now using and, bring the velocity down to where you want it. Pistol powders do not come into play, though.
Old April 26, 2001, 09:31 PM   #5
KeithL

Thank you all for the info. In fact, I had just heard about the headspace issue with the light load cases this past weekend--before, I did not know that. Tell you the truth, I need to study the books some more to get an understanding of the problem. I heard rimmed cases are the answer to this! But, I'll stick to my .06. I've got 173 & 180gr molds also, so I will give those a try & see how the accuracy goes. Thanks again.
Old April 27, 2001, 08:22 AM   #6
Glamdring

You might want to take a look at Ross Seyfried's article in current issue of Rifle. He uses an Alex
Auxiliary cartridge so he can use handloaded 32 mag shells in his 300 Win mag.

He mentioned a load using Speer's .308" 110 hp @ 1400 fps.
Alex also offers adapter to fire 32 acp in .308" rifles
http://www.mcn.net/~alex/

Another idea the Seyfried mentions is if your using a variable scope with a duplex type recticle, you can
use the top of the thicker lower cross hair as an aiming point for the squib loads. Changing the power
setting of the scope will change the relative height of the post. So you can leave crosshairs zeroed for
regular load. But still have correct elevation by using the post and whatever power setting works for your
load/gun/scope combination.