The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Reef

Cleaning the RCBS Uniflow

I have the RCBS Uniflow Powder Dispenser, and I know not to mix powders and so far I’ve only used Bullseye. I want to try other powders and was wondering what sort of cleaning regiment is required to make the switch. Is a simple wipe-down sufficient or do I need to disassemble the dispenser and thoroughly clean everything, going from Bullseye to Power Pistol and maybe W231.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Nothing fancy. Indeed, graphite leftover from the Bullseye is a good thing for the operation of the measure. Just operate it empty a few times to dislodge remaining flakes, tapping the side between each throw with a wood dowel or screwdriver handle that won't mar the finish. You can also invert it and tap it to get the hopper clear. One or two flakes of bullseye mixed in with a normal powder charge won't affect pressure enough to matter and their influence will be lost in the noise of normal variance. After the first few throws, any that are left will be gone, anyway.

If the measure is binding at all, that's another matter. You can pull the drum out and wipe it and the drum journal in the casting off. I would rub a little graphite powder into both afterward before reassembly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; July 13, 2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old July 13, 2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Reef

Thank you Sir.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
chiefr

Unclenick nailed it.
I have 4 powder dipensers that have seen a great deal of use and all are gray with residue. Same with my powder funnels. Never cleaned any of them.
Old July 13, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
serf 'rett

My Uniflow generally empties very well unless the powder is sticking to the sides of the hopper.

Get a light and look into the hopper. You will see if there is any powder remaining. A few bumps will generally be sufficient to cause the granules to drop into the cylinder cavity. If the powder is “sticking” to the side of the hopper, I grab a used clothes dryer anti-static sheet and run it into the hopper and make a few light circles around the sides and hopper bottom (I wrap the sheet around a long screw driver or wood dowel to reach to the bottom of the hopper.) The powder will be dislodged and can then be dumped. Cycle the cylinder a few times to show clear.

MOST IMPORTANT: Store that powder before getting the next powder out on the bench!

My measure has never been cleaned. To clean the sucker would remove the graphite coating.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:49 PM   #6
glicerin

I've had a lyman 55 get sticky after processing a lot of pistol powder, esp bullseye. Had to use fine steel wool on drum to remove fouling(graphite or ?)
Old July 14, 2012, 01:42 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Just empty the powder, do a visual inspection, reload, and go.

As Unclenick mentioned, you should disassemble the rotor/'drum', if you encounter any binding or see small particles of crushed powder around the edges.

Leaving as much graphite as possible in the hopper, on the rotor, and in the bore of the measure body (where the rotor gets installed) will help with smooth operation. Don't get rid of the graphite - just the powder.

I have my Uniflow mounted on one of the newer RCBS stands. If there's a lot of powder still in it, I remove the measure from the stand and pour the powder out of the hopper. If there isn't much left, I just run it though the measure, one charge at a time. Either way, I give it a few solid flips of the charging handle, to dislodge anything stuck in the metering chamber (including while upside down, if pouring it out).
After that, it gets a good visual inspection to ensure it really is empty.

Every once in a while, I'll wipe down the outside of the hopper with a dryer sheet, to keep static down (dry climate).