The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2006, 09:38 AM   #1
brselman

Reloading Issue for 9mm Ruger P85

I have recently started reloading and have purchased some Lee equipment. Yesterday I made 50 rounds of 9mm cartridges using JHP bullets, Unique powder, and CCI primers. The cartridges were sized to a bit less than 1.169 in using a caliper. Yet, some of my ammunition would not pass through my magazines (2), although commercial loads did. Is there something I am missing?
Old February 13, 2006, 11:24 AM   #2
Sport45

Can you be a little more specific? When you say it doesn't pass through your magazine do you mean you can't get it in the magazine or it won't feed back out? Does it seem to be too long or too fat? 1.169 is listed as a "maximum length" by Accurate, but most of what I load is 1.09" - 1.10" long. The longest loading recommendation I've seen is 1.13" for 147gr bullets.
Old February 13, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3
brselman

Reloading iss

Sport45, I thank you very much for your reply. Sorry that I wasn't specific enough. Yes, I can get the cartriges into the magazine, but they hang up such that they don't feed properly into my pistol. Yet when I measure the length and compare them to commercial ammunition, the length seems correct, but certainly longer than what you had mentioned. 1.09 would be significantly shorter than what I now use for the 9mm P85. Do you think that shortening them to that length would solve my problem. Note also, that I am reusing brass cases that I have resized (with the Lee cutter), and they measure correct, 0.745 (I think if I remember correctly). Thanks again for your help.
Old February 13, 2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Sport45

By the way, welcome to the Firing Line!

I would first try shortening your reloads. Here's a page from the Accurate Reloader's Guide. You'll notice on the 2nd page that all the loads for jacketed bullets are 1.095" COL (cartridge overall length). Similarly, Hodgdon lists loads for all bullets less than 1.169". Study your reloading manual and don't go under minimum length stated for whatever particular powder and bullet you are using. Bullet seating depth is critical on an already high-pressure round like the 9mm. Be sure you have a good, firm taper crimp to reduce the chance of bullet setback during feeding. Do this by pressing the cartridge into your workbench with about 30# of force. The bullet shouldn't move. You can also eject a cartridge after it has cycled from the magazine and check COL to see if you are getting any setback.

P.S. I've never trimmed a handgun cartridge and it's never caused a problem.

Last edited by Sport45; February 13, 2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old February 13, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Barr

I do not own a pair of calipers so I eyeballed mine and seated the bullet till it did not look "funny". My batches feed and function just fine. Relatively accurate too. My friend that tried to reload 9mm with a pair of calipers and was trying to eke out the maximum length possible had many problems with feeding.
Old February 13, 2006, 01:07 PM   #6
918v

First of all, you need to get reloading data for that particular bullet. There are numerous brands out there, with various profiles. If you are loading 115's to anywhere close to 1.169" then you do not have enough bullet shank (the non tapering portion) in the case. Every bullet manufacturer publishes data. Get the data.

Second, some 9mm guns will not accept every bulet profile loaded to 1.169". In my experience, 1.155" is about as long as you can go with JHP bullets. This is in Sigs, Glocks, and S&W pistols. I load 124's to 1.125" and 147's to 1.150". Feel free to PM.
Old February 13, 2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Sport45

Quote:
I do not own a pair of calipers so I eyeballed mine and seated the bullet till it did not look "funny". My batches feed and function just fine. Relatively accurate too. My friend that tried to reload 9mm with a pair of calipers and was trying to eke out the maximum length possible had many problems with feeding.
For $23.74 delivered to your door, no reloader should be without a good caliper. Your friend made his mistake when he tried to "eke out the maximum length". He should have been measuring to verify the recommended length. JMHO
Old February 13, 2006, 03:42 PM   #8
Sport45

Shouldn't this thread be in the handloading section?
Old February 15, 2006, 10:50 PM   #9
patrickd

feed problems

I bet your problem is that the mouth of the case is still slightly belled open and is causing it to hang up. try a very slight crimp not much at all as the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth lip. Try taking the barrel out and manually inserting a loaded cartridge into the chamber. it should almost fall in completely without having to force it at all. I had that problem with loading my 9mm glock when I first started reloading. After you load the bullet back out the seating stem a few turns, then turn the die down like 1/8th turn, run the cartridge up in it and then check to see if it chambers easier. if not try another 1/8th turn till it does, just don't seat the bullet too deep or you'll start building too much chamber pressure when you fire it.
Old March 10, 2006, 11:36 PM   #10
Hankster

It looks like patrickd hit the nail on the head. I will have to agree with him. I to load for a 9mm Ruger P85, an excellent pistol and accurate. I use a Lee mold and cast a 124 grain round bullet, sized to 356. Make sure you taper crimp it just enough so that it chambers. Taking the barrel out of the gun will help you along with this, as patrickd mentioned. Good luck and happy shooting.