The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 3, 2006, 07:38 PM   #1
epr105

Information and Pics of S & W 76

I am intrested in finding out what this weapon was like. It was in my department but I can't find anyone who knows anything about it. I think it was a SMG from the paperwork that I havew found that mentions it. Anything will be appreciated. EPR105
Old January 3, 2006, 08:47 PM   #2
deadin

The Model 76 was a 9mm Machine Pistol made from 1968-1974 with about 6,100 units produced. 36 round double stack mag, capable of semi-auto and full-auto fire. Fires from an open bolt at app. 720 rpm.

Dean
Old January 3, 2006, 09:05 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The S&W Model 76 was a close copy of the Swedish Model 45 Carl Gustav SMG.

During the Vietnam war, the "Swedish K" as it was known, was a favorite of various special operation units, especially when fitted with a silencer.

During the war, the only SMG's readily available for use in those conditions, were the US M3 "Grease gun", the British Mark 2 STEN gun, the MAC series of "machine pistols", and the Swedish Model 45, all of which had silencers available for them.

The M3 and STEN were old designs, and the MAC fired at such a high cyclic rate it just wasn't suitable, so the Model 45 was the preferred gun for special forces use.

At some point, the Swedes got all huffy about the Vietnam war and refused to sell the Model 45 to "belligerents", meaning us, since the communists didn't buy any.

To provide a replacement, S&W produced the Model 76.

It was used most heavily by SEAL teams, and some were sold to civilian police departments.

When the Navy failed to buy more than a few for SEAL use, and no other market appeared, the Model 76 was discontinued.

Today, the S&W Model 76 is a collector's item.
Old January 4, 2006, 01:53 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've fired several Model 76s.

I drool every time I fire one.

Not because it's anything special, but because it's A) fully auto, and B) would look GREAT besides all of my older S&W revolvers.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 7, 2006, 05:24 PM   #5
epr105

Thanks for the info. On my next trip to HQ I will look around the AUX Arsenal and see if I can spot one.