The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2001, 05:28 PM   #1
Bob Thompson

Best dies?, long

I would like to know what all of you think about you favorite brand of dies. I have been using mostly RCBS and Lee dies because they are readily available. Just recently loading some 30-06 with RCBS dies I was having trouble with brass sticking in the dies. Plenty of lube, so I miked the sized brass and found case neck sizes at .330 to .335. a full .005 under all my loading manuals which called for .339 or .340. The sizing button was in specs and brass case necks were the same thickness. If RCBS has a reason for this size they should say so in the broshure which comes with the dies. If not their quality control is way out of line. This produced two stuck cases which I finally withdrew from the die. Unacceptable performance for a so called quality die set. If I am missing something here maybe one of you can fill me in. This is the third set of RCBS dies I have found out of specs. One, a .30-378 Weatherby I sent back because of the initial cost. I have had no such problems with my cheapie special Lee dies. I have been loading for many years and know most of the tricks for full length or just neck sizing and just want a set of dies to perform as they should. By now I think RCBS is selling on their reputation of past. I for one am dissapointed with them. I also don't think you should have to spend the money for competition dies for general reloading purposes. What do you guys like? I don't mind spending the money, I just want quality dies. Thanks for listening to the rambling. Bob
Old August 25, 2001, 07:17 PM   #2
Charmedlyfe

My favourite are Dillon dies. I like the ease that the case goes in, and I like how quickly they disassemble for cleaning. The crimp is, to me at least, as good or better than the Lee factory crimp for semiautos. I prefer the RCBS dies for roll-crimps (38/357). Everything I've read and experienced points towards the fact that the roll crimp should be made AS the bullet is being seated, rather than AFTER the bullet is seated. I always use the carbide dies for pistols, but rifle rounds get the regular steel dies and Hornady spray dry lube. I like the micrometer seating dies for precision rifle.

For pistol rounds, go with the Dillon for ease of use. Good quality and solidly built.
Old August 25, 2001, 08:39 PM   #3
sricciardelli

If the "sizing button" was within specs, and the brass was all the same thickness, then I don't understand how you can blame the problem on the dies.

The case neck is "squeezed down" when you resize the case, and brought back to "specs" as the case is drawn back over the expander plug.
Old August 25, 2001, 09:18 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

RCBS will stand behind their product.

Hornady, Redding, Forster.

I prefer Lyman, LEE, Redding, and Dillon for handgun.