The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 25, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
fivebux

Winchester 94-44mag feeding problem

Hello everyone I'm a new user so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I was just given a Model 94 by my father today for Christmas since he no longer uses it. My problem is I was told by him it is having a feeding problem that causes it to jam. How can I correct this ?
Old December 25, 2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Let's try the Smithy. If we don't get a reasonable reply in a day or two, PM me and we'll move this to Rifles. - Bud
Old December 25, 2012, 09:44 AM   #3
fivebux

Thanks I appreciate the help.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

I really think you will need to be much more specific with the exact problem, i.e. exact rifle model, stovepipes loaded or empty, bullet profile and O.A.L., etc. to be able to get any feedback.
The 94 action was re-engineered for the .44 cartridge. Is the gun a factory .44 or a re-barrel?
The Devil is in the details.

Posting this to let you get a head start on your end to speed up the advice you will get.

Photos and terminology. Photos are best if you are not up on the gun's parts names.

Load up a few dummy rounds to use in showing the problem. If you are not a reloader, you'll need to photograph live rounds. This should only be done with a safe backstop for any inadvertent discharge.

Just my take, JT
Old December 25, 2012, 02:57 PM   #5
fivebux

Hey Jt thanks for the info. Its a post 64 model 94 top eject. Sn 3251238. I found out it is a 1969 manufacture. When I load the tube and fire the round upon ejection when the new one loads it doesn't ramp up all the way into the barrel.It is a factory 44 mag
Old December 25, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Hawg

Could be a bent lifter. The 94 action was designed for a rifle cartridge and many do not handle pistol calibers well at all.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:22 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hawg is correct, and also there are ammunition issues, especially with reloads. What ammo are you using? And what exactly is happening?

If the bullet is hitting the edge of the chamer, the problem could be the bullet shape and you might try another brand.

Jim
Old December 25, 2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
If the bullet is hitting the edge of the chamer, the problem could be the bullet shape and you might try another brand.
This is true, especially with a SWC design.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:48 AM   #9
fivebux

Hawq I'll check out the lifter. James i currently do not know what ammo my father was using but ill find out and try a different brand.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:56 AM   #10
buymore

I was looking at one once and I was told by a former owner that all the lever guns in pistol cartridge seem to need a swift leverthrow to make them work right. He said they just weren't very reliable unless you really jacked them EVERY time. Seemed to be the consensus from about everyone who ever owned one. Even my Marlin 30-30 didn't want to work well if I didn't make it a swift leverthrow.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymore
I was looking at one once and I was told by a former owner that all the lever guns in pistol cartridge seem to need a swift leverthrow to make them work right. He said they just weren't very reliable unless you really jacked them EVERY time. Seemed to be the consensus from about everyone who ever owned one. Even my Marlin 30-30 didn't want to work well if I didn't make it a swift leverthrow.
That pretty well mirrors my experience, even with the .30-30 calibers. The Winchesters like it best when the lever is operated robustly. At the very forward part of the lever throw, the lifter "snaps" up to correctly guide the cartridge into the chamber. "Short-stroking" it leads to problems.

All this is not to say that the rifle might not have mechanical problems. If you've got a bent lifter, you'll have to replace it. And, some pistol-caliber 94s have more trouble than others. The action was designed for the .30-30 class of cartridge and some have trouble with pistol length cartridges.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 27, 2012, 08:38 AM   #12
drail

If the parts are in spec and properly fitted there is no need to jack the lever hard. It needs to be jacked all the way forward and back but not hard. If a part is defective or spring is shot and you keep abusing it to make it function you're just going to mess up more parts. Have it fixed or trade it off. I have 2 Win. 94s in pistol calibers and they will both cycle rounds perfectly no matter how slowly you work the lever. They have been that way since they were new 20 years ago.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:36 PM   #13
fivebux

I really appreciate all the info yall guys have been giving me. I took a look and it does look like i might have a slightly bent lifter. Im gonna order one from Numeric and replace it just to be on the safe side.