The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 11, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
superman_jjs

1917 Eddystone scope mounts

Hi all,

I picked up an Eddystone (30-06) and it has the old scope mount screws (1/2 inch apart) and I am trying to find out what scope mounts or rails would fit (both curavture and screw spacing).

Anyone have any ideas as to what would fit?

Thanks,
Old September 11, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Clifford L. Hughes

Superman:

The Eddystone action was manufactured with ears on each side of the rear sight. To to install a scope base some one had to mill them off and to contour the receiver. Without knowing who he was, it is hard to tell how he did the work. However, most of these modifications were done for the Weaver or Redfield bases.

Your best bet is to take the rifle to your local gun store and try several bases to see which one fit. A good gunsmith could help you also.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Cliffprd L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old September 13, 2012, 08:57 AM   #3
velocette

Superman;
The Remington model 30 is a 1917 enfield rifle that Remington produced after WW1. The Weaver bases for that rifle are what are usually suggested for a sporterized '17 Enfield. Brownells offers them. They are what I used on my sporterized '17 Enfield. You may need to shim the front or the rear a bit to compensate for how much material was ground or filed off the rear of the receiver when the ears were removed. You may also need to re-contour the base of the rear mount to match the contour of your receiver. JB weld works well for that purpose, just use a small amount, very carefully.

Roger

Old September 16, 2012, 02:44 AM   #4
UncleGrumpy

I've just been thru looking to get a higher ring set for my M17. My base and rings were custom fitted in the 60's and caused me all sorts of problems.

Although it wasn't able to fix my problem, during my research I only found 1 base maker that lists a setup to fit the m17 and needs drilling. They are in Australia and called lynxoptics.com.au
Old September 16, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5
velocette

Grumpy;
If you install the Weaver mounts, you can find all sorts of different height ring sets,

Roger
Old September 17, 2012, 07:43 AM   #6
UncleGrumpy

hi velocette, that was also looked at but as the existing drilled holes would not easily allow a new mount to be fitted it was ruled out and I had a new set of rings modified by a smithy to fit the odd base.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:02 PM   #7
aircorpnut

sorry to revive an older thread, but have a question. i too have a sporty 1917 that has been wildcatted to the 30-06 acklen improved round. last night, my neighbor informed me that he also has a sporty 1917 & the rear scope base is missing. i think his at one time had a williams style peep sight on the rear & whoever did the machine work has cut the rear receiver ring alot thinner than mine is when comparing side by side. my question is, has anyone used a one piece rail type base on this receiver? my thinking is, if a one piece is feasible, i can mill a spacer to fit the gap difference & keep things aligned easier than trying to fit a two piece. thanks!
Old November 30, 2012, 04:07 PM   #8
RC20

SK makes a none intrusive scope mount for the M1917 Enfields (Eddystone/ Remington/Winchester) . That means no drilling or tapping. Cost is $78 including SK rings. You can order a weaver type base but then you have to supply the Weaver rings and they can't be switched around.

I have one on order and will report how it works.

I have the SK model for a M1903 that works great (drawback you need a stock you don't mind cutting a bit for the front band to fit but you don't have to wreck the receiver value doing it)

I would urge anyone who has a M1917 Enfield that is of historical nature (well preserved with original barrel and receiver intact, i.e. not drilled and the ears on it) to not modify these.

They are truly historical guns now and should be kept intact if not already modified.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:19 AM   #9
aircorpnut

well, put together a plan of action, fired up the mill, welder & bandsaw & went to work. heres what i decided would be the simplest way to go after "bubba" had his way with it. the front scope ring mount that was on the rifle was crooked. the holes were also drilled/tapped at an angle, probably done with a hand drill, so simply adding a rear mount at the correct height wouldn't work. i made a bracket that attached to the rear of the receiver thru the exising holes fronm the target sight & another new hole up front. this bracket is very strong, solves the height issues between the front & rear of the receiver & new ring mounts will be mounted to the bracket itself without adding any more holes to the rifle. here are the pics of progress to date. let me know what you think & if i'm mising anything.