The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 21, 2014, 11:16 AM   #1
salvadore

Mauser bolt

Took the bolt out of my Yugo Mauser, forgot to put the safety up and began unscrewing until it locked up, now I can't figure out how to get it unstuck. Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 21, 2014, 02:31 PM   #2
SpringOWeiler

So is the bolt in the locked and uncocked position? Like you just fired a round but your bolt is not in your rifle?

Last edited by SpringOWeiler; September 21, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old September 21, 2014, 02:53 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

If I understand the issue

I'd clamp the cocking piece in a vise. Pull the bolt body forward as if it were cocked and while pulled forward, rotate to disassemble.
Old September 21, 2014, 04:00 PM   #4
HiBC

Another way(all that work are good)

Under the striker ,under the bolt sleeve,is the square lug that is the bolt sear surface.Hook that on a wood bench corner and pull the bolt forward.You will be pulling the striker back,compressing the striker spring.Should be about 20 lbs,+ or -.Holding it that way with one hand ,engage the safety with the other.

I suggest that wood bench corner,or something softer than steel,It is the sear surface you are engaging.
Old September 22, 2014, 09:33 AM   #5
F. Guffey

Quote:
Took the bolt out of my Yugo Mauser, forgot to put the safety up and began unscrewing until it locked up, now I can't figure out how to get it unstuck. Any help would be appreciated.
I know, everyone understands what you have posted, no one said "I am so confused", and I am sure you understand their responses.

Locked-up? Help me out, did you manage to remove any parts from the bolt before it locked up? there is a small detent on the left side of the bolt on the bolt sleeve that could require pushing back before removing the firing pin assemble.

Problem, the firing pin assemble can not be rotated in the fired position. to remove the firing pin assemble the bolt must be cocked, your rifle is a cock on open. To install the bolt the safety is engaged, without the safety6 the bolt assemble will be 'out of time' meaning the bolt will be in the fired position.

F. Guffey
Old September 23, 2014, 08:01 AM   #6
salvadore

Okie pokie i thought i remembered how to remove the firing pin, l didn't. Removed the bolt without putting the safety lever in the up position. I then began unscrewing the bolt. It locked up so i could not unscrew or rescrew so to speak. No parts removed.
Old September 23, 2014, 02:05 PM   #7
HiBC

You are correct,you would not have this problem had you put the safety on first.The safety holds the striker back in the cocked,spring compressed condition.
When you began to unscrew,you rotated the cocking piece/bolt body relationship to the "bolt locked,ok,fire"position.As there is no trigger sear in your hands,the striker went forward .The striker is forward in the cocking cam cam recess of the bolt body,so it cannot rotate.

To solve your problem,the striker...the firing pin,must be drawn back about 3/8 of an inch against the force of the spring,to the "cocked" position.Except it won't cock,as the trigger/sear are in the receiver.

Once it is drawn back,the safety will be able to rotate into the notch to hold the striker to the rear.

Look at your bolt,think about what I just told you,so you can see and understand where you are going.

Now,whether you use a vise as Gary suggested,or just hook the bench as I suggested,that rectangle block about 1/4 in wide under the striker needs to be pulled back compressing the spring.About 3/8 to 1/2 inch is how far it needs to be pulled back. Use one hand while the safety gets engaged with the other hand.Once you do that,you will be able to easily unscrew the striker/cocking piece assy.

Yes,you do have to remember that little detent button on the left side of the bolt sleeve.You found it once already.

I don't know what else to tell you.
Old September 23, 2014, 03:33 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Do as HiBC suggested.

But... don't be surprised if it takes much more force to draw the striker and "cocking piece" back. Most Yugo Mausers have 40-60 lb springs.

If you will be using the 'edge of a wooden bench' method, you'll need three hands:
One to hold the bolt body securely.
One to hold the bolt against the bench. (It REALLY wants to slip off, when you get 40+ lbs of force on the edge.)
One had to flip the safety lever, once the striker is drawn far enough rearward.

The job can be done solo, but it takes some careful hand placement and gratuitous profanity.
Old September 24, 2014, 08:16 AM   #9
salvadore

Thanks gang.
Old September 24, 2014, 09:01 AM   #10
F. Guffey

Quote:
If you will be using the 'edge of a wooden bench' method, you'll need three hands:
And for those that are handy there is another way, for owners of one Mauser type 98 bolt it does not pay to be handy.

F. Guffey
Old September 26, 2014, 06:55 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

I usually just clamp the bottom of the cocking piece in the vise, so I don't need to grow an extra hand.

Jim
Old October 23, 2014, 08:00 AM   #12
jrcycles

Yugo Bolt Priblems

Just bought a Yugo 24/47, nice rifle, good price. Gave it to a friend who said he would "sonic clean" the bolt. Anyway I got the bolt back, it's out of sync, won't fit back in. The tip of the firing pin is exposed, and trying to put the bolt into the rifle shows the safety is 180 out, on the bottom, towards the stock.
I'm a pistol guy, this is new to me. I've read the above post, and I don't know the correct terms of the bolt parts. Can someone please let me know where to go for info on how to correct this problem?
Thanks, guys I know I can't be the first with this. John
Old October 23, 2014, 08:34 AM   #13
Jimro

If the firing pin is exposed, the bolt is in the "fired" position.

Easiest thing to do is put on some thick leather gloves, and twist the bolt shroud into the cocked position.

M98 mausers are cock on opening actions, so the bolt is always cocked on removal.

Search for a youtube video on how to cock a Mauser bolt outside of the rifle if you need a visual.

Jimro
Old October 24, 2014, 01:39 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

http://youtu.be/CRL-RmoGdwM