The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
mrappe

Brass turned pretty colors after washing in Simple Green

I soaked my 38-40 brass in Simple Green to clean it off and left it overnight and the brass turned colors (mainly blue) that looks like Uburti's case hardening. After I rinsed it off it is still colored. I don't know if it damaged the brass but I don't think that it is serious since these rounds are lightly loaded for Cowboy Shooting. Does anyone have any ideas? The Simple Green does not say anything about not applying to brass and does not say anything about contaning ammonia.
Old June 24, 2011, 06:45 PM   #2
B-RAD

it's still an oxidizer, try some white vinegar, table spoon of salt and water for 20min, then throw in the tumbler, it will be fine.
Old June 24, 2011, 06:48 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_ammonia.php

Simple green does not contain ammonia, but the bluish color might be some other chemical reaction with the copper in the cases though, and there might be a chance that it'll weaken the cases. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in about the discoloration.
Old June 24, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
B-RAD

I just did...
Old June 24, 2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Hawg

If you're using black powder carry a jug of windex to drop it in after it's fired.
Old June 24, 2011, 07:50 PM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
I just did...
If Mr. one hole group B-bad says so it must be true.

Sounds like a galvanic reaction. Any other metals in with the brass?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 24, 2011, 08:12 PM   #7
B-RAD

lol - yep... I'm sure he stuck some jumper cables in the water from his truck battery while soaking...

Try my solution with a few rounds... let me know how it goes...

Mr. one hole group B-bad signing out...
Old June 24, 2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
lol - yep... I'm sure he stuck some jumper cables in the water from his truck battery while soaking...
???

You don't need to add electricity to get a galvanic reaction. It happens all by istelf when two dissimilar metals are in contact in an electrolyte solution.

Was the soaking done in a metal bucket?

I'm not saying the salt and vinegar won't clean them up, just syaing not to discount galvanic action possibly being the problem. Heck, for all I know it could have just been the green dye in the Simple Green.
Old June 24, 2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Loader9

Brass is made of two basic components, copper and zinc. The blue you see is copper sulfate. That means that some of the copper has been removed from the brass. Depending on how much "blue" you have will depend on how brittle the brass is now. It's been my experience that 38-40 brass doesn't last long anyway. It's thinner than paper most of the time, especially Winchester brass. I doubt there are any dangers in using it but I would expect brass life to be shorter with split necks more common. I'm assuming a 180 gr lead bullet and maybe about 7.0-8.0 grs Unique.
Old June 24, 2011, 11:09 PM   #10
mrappe

It was soaking in a plastic container. It seems that the stuff comes off fairly eazy and since the soappy solution was not dark I don't think that much of the copper etc was disolved. While the necks are thin I have never had a case with a split neck. In fact most of my case loses are from loosing them and not being picked up after shooting a stage in Cowboy Action Shooting or somone steping on the case mouth. Some of the cases that I have are pretty old. I shoot with about 5.3 grns of Clays so it is not a heavy load and the necks don't stretch much.
Old June 25, 2011, 12:02 AM   #11
troy_mclure

keep it blue, itll help you find them.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old June 25, 2011, 02:04 PM   #12
brickeyee

Quote:
keep it blue, itll help you find them.
If the brass has been weakened by the reaction you created finding them may be the least of your worries.
Old June 25, 2011, 02:51 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
It's been my experience that 38-40 brass doesn't last long anyway
Dunno bout 38-40 but 44-40 is very thin and the cases last a long time with full loads of bp and 7.0 grains of W231 under a 200 grain RNFP. Now if you load up to 44 mag pressures they won't last long.