The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 25, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Mokumbear

Even in the best case scenario...

I was very reluctant to post this out of respect for the 4 Tacoma, WA
police officers who were murdered.

All the same, it's relevant.

Here you have four open carry policemen with training and firearms knowledge.

If they can't escape someone with murderous intentions, what chance do you have pulling a little concealed carry firearm?

It seems that unless you are VERY alert, you can't defeat an opponent who has the jump on you and nothing to fear.

Comments?
Old December 25, 2009, 08:27 PM   #2
XD Gunner

Quote:
If they can't escape someone with murderous intentions, what chance do you have pulling a little concealed carry firearm?
I give my utmost sympathies to those affected by this encounter, however, there is a lot of difference between a police shooting (where the police are known to have firearms) and a CC attack where the victim is assumed to be unarmed. On that note, I don't carry a "little" anything, XD45ACP. 365 days a year. It would be a 12GA Shotgun if I could pull off the "limp".

It's a different story when you are prepared to face a gun, and when suddenly the helpless victim has shot your partner and is now turning on you. I plan on defending myself with the utmost aggression, prejudice, and resolve if I find myself in a bad situation, not telling myself "my little ccfirearm is no match"

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old December 25, 2009, 08:33 PM   #3
mnhntr

Situational awareness is the key to survival. If you let your guard down, bad things can happen. I never sit in a public place without being able to see the door, and never with my back to the door. If engaged in conversation be rude and look around every few seconds. Always live in a higher level conciousness, and don't cloud your awareness with alcohal or drugs.

NO DISRESPECT INTENDED, but it seems the officers let their guard down.
Old December 25, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Hard Ball

"but it seems the officers let their guard down."

I am afraid they did
Old December 25, 2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If it's an unexpected bad guy who starts out with bullets flying and you happen to be among the first targets then you're pretty screwed. Fortunately, the VAST, vast majority of SD scenarios are not started with guns blazing. I still say that if the BG even has the gun out then you're going to be in a LOT of trouble. In any case, being ahead on the reaction curve, or getting ahead, is obviously paramount.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; December 25, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old December 25, 2009, 09:21 PM   #6
raftman

It's like looking at a case in which someone wore a seat belt but still died in a car wreck, it doesn't prove that seat belts are largely useless. A concealed weapon, just like a seat belt, isn't always gonna be guaranteed to save you when something goes horribly wrong, but you don't have to look very hard to find examples of cases in which having one did make a positive difference.
Old December 25, 2009, 09:52 PM   #7
#18indycolts

Quote:
It seems that unless you are VERY alert, you can't defeat an opponent who has the jump on you and nothing to fear.
You said it, unless you have a superpower "spidey sense" you're not gonna dodge the uninevitable. Sometimes its just your time to go.
Old December 25, 2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Wagonman

+1 Indy. You can't be ON all the time even at work.
Old December 26, 2009, 09:50 AM   #9
N.H. Yankee

No scenario is perfect and I would rather be armed and have a chance than not and have no chance at all. One of the officers did wound the suspect, also this guy had a premeditated agenda to ( for loss of a better word ) target law enforcement. The chances of you or I being targeted in the same situation is slim, also I am sure these officers felt relatively safe due to numbers. They most certainly were caught off guard and an ambush has the tactical advantage. There are many instances where a firearm saved a person or people. One bad incident doesn't make carrying a firearm pointless.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Tennessee Gentleman

Agree with Peetza and Indy. If someone wants YOU dead real bad unless you are lucky and they screw up while attempting to kill you, then you are a goner.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

In the Tacoma case, customers were coming and going from the shop while the officers did paperwork. I highly doubt that they saw, assessed, and derived a contingency response attack plan for each customer that walked in the door and then had an ongoing set of responses for combinations of customers (just in case a potential attack wasn't going to be by a sole aggressor) and staff and kept the response plans updated as each customer and staff member changed positions in the shop. I highly doubt the officers had any sort of plan for if on of the other officers was an aggressor either and kept that plan continually updated.

The ongoing combinations and permutations of possible scenarios and responses is staggering and it is unrealistic to believe that we can handle everything all the time. Even professionals who claim to be "on" 24/7 are easily duped. The more complex the situation, the more easily duped.

The officers let their guard down? Maybe. They certainly can't treat everyone they see or come in contact with as a potentially hostile murderer. The more realistic assumption would be that the perp was not seen as a threat until the perp started to act aggressively and unless one or more of the cops was watching the perp at that moment (along with all the other customers, staff, and other cops), then they were behind the curve. That is basically how ambushes work and why they can be successful.

If you have ever missed anything that has gone on around you, then you were potentially a victim because your guard was down. There is no way you can be doing more than one thing and having total situational awareness. In fact, total situational awareness does not exist but anything short of total situational awareness leaves you vulnerable.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Despite 'being on guard' at all times, if a normal looking person going about everyday business pulls out a gun, then they can shoot you.

Previously, I posted how you can shoot 3 people in about 2 seconds.

To the OP, most incidents have some precursor indicators - you are not targeted for assassination. Thus, the utility of the concealed gun.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:55 AM   #13
Shawn Dodson

Possible mindset of the officers: Who's gonna start trouble with four cops?

I've spent my time sitting in coffee shops doing reports. I've been just as vulnerable.

Ambush tactics surprise you and put you at a time-competitive disadvantage.

The bad guy exploited the officer's inattention (condition white). There were probably threat cues, one or two of which seem noticed by the baristas when the attacker entered the shop.

Last edited by Shawn Dodson; December 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old December 26, 2009, 02:37 PM   #14
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokumbear

Comments?
I live in a state that probably contains half-a-million or more scope-sighted rifles and shotguns. If somebody out there just wants to backshoot me tomorrow while I'm sitting on the porch, minding my own business, there's not bupkis I can do about it. Hence, I try to live my life in such a fashion that folks are unlikely to want to shoot me in the grape out of the blue.

The pistol I carry is for far more likely scenarios: muggings, rapes, carjackings, home invasions, what-have-you. All of these scenarios have a confrontational component, and happen to normal everyday folk a lot more often than ambush murders.
Old December 26, 2009, 02:46 PM   #15
Matt19

Every situation has its own dynamic. One size definitely does not fit all.
Old December 26, 2009, 03:51 PM   #16
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokumbear
Surprise. The first principle of War.
Old December 27, 2009, 03:54 PM   #17
Dwight55

The only life situation we will universally face with full preparation is our own personal death.

Outside of that, . . . be prepared, . . . be observant, . . . watch out for your friends and neighbors, . . . be kind, . . . be obedient, . . . and be careful.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!