The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Recommendations?
SIG P250? 17 39.53%
Glock 17, or 19? 16 37.21%
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Shield ? 4 9.30%
other? 9 20.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23, 2015, 10:26 AM   #26
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
Modularity is highly over-rated. Who actually uses any of the "modular" systems?
FWIW I think the P250's modularity would be more useful IF the additional modules were more reasonably priced.

But they're not.
Old November 23, 2015, 11:24 AM   #27
TunnelRat

Quote:
FWIW I think the P250's modularity would be more useful IF the additional modules were more reasonably priced.

But they're not
What would you consider reasonably priced? I can find the grip modules for around $50.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 23, 2015, 12:58 PM   #28
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
What would you consider reasonably priced? I can find the grip modules for around $50.
I was talking about the X-Change kits. For $300+, I'd rather get a whole second gun.

The grip modules ARE less expensive, but I'm still not crazy about the idea of possibly having to pay $50 extra to get a pistol to fit me (excepting the subcompact, which was available in only 1 grip module size the last time I checked). Multiple backstraps are IMHO a more elegant solution.
Old November 23, 2015, 01:50 PM   #29
TunnelRat

Quote:
The grip modules ARE less expensive, but I'm still not crazy about the idea of possibly having to pay $50 extra to get a pistol to fit me (excepting the subcompact, which was available in only 1 grip module size the last time I checked). Multiple backstraps are IMHO a more elegant solution.
I think they're a simpler solution. In my experience the replaceable backstraps don't make as big of a difference as swapping the modules does on the P250/P320.

As for the X-Change kits, I agree that the cost would need to go down more for it to really be of use.
Old November 23, 2015, 06:48 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

Tunnelrat, your talking about easy modifications more than what I would consider "modularity." The back straps, like the different grips, aren't for changing because "today feels like a big grip day', they are for setting the pistol to fit your hand once and leaving it that way.
I am acquainted with a half dozen AR upper receivers. All of them own lowers for every upper they use with any regularity at all.
I am acquainted with several people who own many many Encore or Contender barrels. They all have multiple frames. Enough for all the barrels they actually shoot.

It sounds great. I've bought into it multiple time. There is some more flexibility. Right now I am considering a G17 with a chopped grip. I might be able to get a 320 and set-it up in a similar fashion much more easily. Once it was set-up I would leave it as it is though. With multiple caliber kits I would end up throwing all but one 'in a box somewhere.'
Old November 23, 2015, 08:35 PM   #31
TunnelRat

I don't really think I even used the word modularity. I used the word module because that's what SIG calls them.

Quote:
The back straps, like the different grips, aren't for changing because "today feels like a big grip day', they are for setting the pistol to fit your hand once and leaving it that way.
I don't think I ever said anything that countered this. What I said was that backstraps are simpler than swapping entire modules, but in my experience in terms of feel in the hand swapping the entire module makes a more noticeable impact (the VP9/P30 are an exception to this). I never claimed nor have I personally swapped such a thing on a daily basis. Like you I test and then use the one I like better in both feel and shooting (which aren't always the same, i.e. I like the feel of the Gen 4 Glock without a backstrap but I shoot better with the Medium backstrap installed).

Quote:
With multiple caliber kits I would end up throwing all but one 'in a box somewhere.'
Agreed. All I want are kits to go from the different sizes. Given that the Compact slide fits on the Subcompact frame that might be good enough for me.
Old November 24, 2015, 03:33 PM   #32
johnwilliamson062

Module, modular, modularity. With the recent pistol redesign request from DOD catch the marketing words of the year, and they all flow together in my mind.

I'm not saying it is all bad. I have a love-hate relationship with my Encore. I looked up my options with a Sig 320 for a long barrel and short grip when I got home from work today. Looks like price would be about the same as my glock options and I would need a new holsters for a G17 length slide anyways. By the end I bet it costs a lot more though.
Old November 24, 2015, 03:34 PM   #33
StumpShooter

I think a Walther PPX is worth a look. It's affordable (I've seen them under $300 lately), reliable, high capacity, and has a great trigger.
Old November 24, 2015, 03:50 PM   #34
TunnelRat

Quote:
Module, modular, modularity. With the recent pistol redesign request from DOD catch the marketing words of the year, and they all flow together in my mind.
If you have disagreement with the terms SIG uses for its products, feel free to email them.

Quote:
I'm not saying it is all bad. I have a love-hate relationship with my Encore. I looked up my options with a Sig 320 for a long barrel and short grip when I got home from work today. Looks like price would be about the same as my glock options and I would need a new holsters for a G17 length slide anyways. By the end I bet it costs a lot more though.
In all honesty, I really don't care what pistols you do or don't buy. I carry a Glock 19/Glock 26. I have no special loyalty to any company.
Old November 26, 2015, 08:35 AM   #35
Tomac

If you like the SIG P250 and you shoot well w/it, then go w/the P250.
I carried a P250 EDC for a couple of years after I got used to the trigger, it was exceptionally accurate & reliable.
The only reason I switched to the P320 Compact is for faster followup shots.

Btw, the modularity of the P250/P320 allows you to make stippling mistakes that only cost $40 to replace (instead of the entire frame) and hybrid combos impossible w/other handguns (ex: P250 subcompact slide on a bobbed compact grip module, or compact slide on a full size grip module) in addition to the X-Change kits for different calibers.
Tomac
Old November 26, 2015, 09:53 AM   #36
Dirty_Harry

You said you like the HK, so save a couple hundred and get a P2000. They can be had for $650ish new now. Same perfect do it all size as a Glock 19.

Then again, if you doing that well with the P250, why is this a question?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 26, 2015, 10:13 AM   #37
smee78

I perfer the Glock due to the aftermarket support and large options of holsters. I usually "upgrade" my Glocks with a 2.5 trigger connector and an extended slide release and a plug in the bottom of the grip. Thats it, its good to go for me.
Old November 26, 2015, 10:23 AM   #38
David L. Smith

Great replies & Discussion!

My humble thanks to everyone for the many great replies & discussion. You have all provided great input - THANK YOU!

Happy Holidays and Good shooting!
Old November 26, 2015, 09:39 PM   #39
TJx

Whatever you do don't order a PPX online without handling one first. The slide on the thing is enormous to the point of being cartoonish. It makes a Hi Point look svelte. PPX and CCW should never be used in the same sentence.

A S&W M&P 9mm or FNH FNS 9mm should be able to be had this weekend for right around $400.
Old December 1, 2015, 01:11 AM   #40
EvilE

I say Glock 19 gen4. Comes with all the different back straps to fit almost any individuals hand, and three mags!

Tags
9mm , dao , security