The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2015, 12:35 AM   #1
Hunter1994

Xds 9mm 4.0 slide failing to lock after last round

I just picked up a brand new xds-9 4.0 and went to break it in today. It shoots great and I really enjoy it, but the slide does not lock back after the last shot. I can pull the slide back manually and it locks back fine on an empty magazine (Note: I am not touching the slide release during any of these actions).

To further eliminate operator error, I do not shoot limp wristed, my "thumb forward grip" is not interfering with the slide release lever in any way and the gun has been properly cleaned and lubed.

Ive heard of this problem with the xds and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this issue or knows how to fix it?

It happens with both the 7 and 8 round magazines supplied by Springfield

The mag spring feels a tad light and it may be the spring doesn't have enough to power to push the follower up to lock the slide before the slide closes but I'm not sure

Thanks,
Hunter
Old April 22, 2015, 08:12 AM   #2
Doyle

It may be that recoil spring is still a bit stiff. I.E. rounds aren't kicking back with enough force to hit the catch. Try it with a box of hotter ammo. If that works, then it will likely get better as it breaks in.

Tags
4.0 , 9mm , springfield , xds