The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 11, 2001, 08:54 AM   #1
Drizzt

(TX) Resident kills fleeing intruder

The lesson here..... don't burst into someone's house in the middle of the night in Texas....

Resident kills fleeing intruder
Shooting followed chase by police

Edited for compliance with newer Copy-Right rules

http://www.dallasnews.com/metro/stor...ruder_11m.html

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Copy-Right Rules
Old June 11, 2001, 10:09 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

This is one of those situations that I doubt many of us consider. I know I don't. I have always assumed that someone breaking into my home would be there to get something or someone. I had not given much thought to a fleeing bad guy scenario.
Old June 11, 2001, 03:45 PM   #3
Marko Kloos

Quote:
"I love Darrell, but I have no animosity at all about the person who shot him," she said. "Darrell kicked in his door and went into his home. I have no animosity at all."
Now there's a new one...a grieving mother who still knows who exactly is responsible for whose actions. That's something you don't read about every day. I feel for the lady, and I have to admire that she is not willing to lay responsibility at anyone's feet but her son's, even in her grief.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old June 11, 2001, 04:01 PM   #4
thumbtack

"I love Darrell, but I have no animosity at all about the person who shot him," she said. "Darrell kicked in his door and went into his home. I have no animosity at all."

I never thought I would ever hear a mother say that, most of the mothers or fathers you see through the media are crying and boohooing about how their son or daughter was misunderstood and would not hurt anyone.
Old June 11, 2001, 06:42 PM   #5
MatthewM

>>most of the mothers or fathers you see through the media are crying and boohooing about how their son or daughter was misunderstood and would not hurt anyone<<

I once watched a reporter ask about 20 people the same thing and get the same answer. When the 21st person gave the different answer he was looking for, he brought in the camera and that is what went on TV. In an incident like Columbine, out of 60 parents, they will show the two or three who are being vociferous about the gun industry and such. Even "fair and balanced" reporting like on FOX News, they will pick one of each, even if the sample is 90 of one opinion and only 1 of the other.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6
wCanup

Sorry to bump such an old thread. However, this is my first post and I thought it would be cool to post in the thread that brought me here.

Darrell Canup is my father and I found TFL through Google when I was searching around on Google, regarding him.

Anyways, if I am completely in the wrong for bumping this - my bad.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
2damnold4this

Sorry for your loss and welcome to TFL.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Not necessarily wrong to bump the thread and I am sorry that you lost your father in this incident. I don't think it would necessarily be worthwhile to continue the original discussion, so I'll close this, but welcome to the forum, I hope you remain active and both learn and contribute.
Closed Thread