The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 20, 2005, 09:03 PM   #1
legacy94

what caliber for first time shooter

what would be a good and easy caliber for my mom to use when she gos to the range for the first time?

i'm not sure if she'd be able to handle my 9mm beretta.

i'm thinking maybe a 22 (my brother has three of them)

what are your thoughts?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Part 1 Article 2-A Bearing Arms.
All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property, and the state.
Old December 20, 2005, 09:21 PM   #2
GLP Standard

.22 sounds perfect. Recoil is next to nonexistent, so she wont get scared off and not want to shoot anymore. Shell also hit the target a lot more, and not get discouraged, and she will be able to work on accuracy and proper technique.

After she gets used to it, id let her try your 9mm. I wish my parents wanted to go shooting with me. That would be awesome. They pretty much hate guns, and want nothing to do with them, so that sucks.
Old December 20, 2005, 11:34 PM   #3
legacy94

one of the reasons in taking her to the range is so that if there is ever a time she has to use the beretta for HD,then she'll have an idea on how to operate a gun.

also i'm not sure but i think my sister would like to learn.my brother-inlaw will more then likely be going overseas an she will be home alone with her three kids.granted i only live 5 miles away from her and she lives in a pretty nice neighborhood,but sometimes yo never know.i think she might also be thinking of buying a small compact to keep on her while she's out doing errands.i'll let my brother-inlaw bring her to the range.

the range i'm going to has ladys night on sundays were they get in free with someone that pays.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Part 1 Article 2-A Bearing Arms.
All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property, and the state.
Old December 21, 2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Quantrill

A .22 is the perfect way to learn shooting. Even the old master, Elmer Keith, along with many others, recomended the .22 for beginners. Quantrill
Old December 21, 2005, 02:31 PM   #5
High Planes Drifter

Another vote for the .22 . And if I may suggest, the Ruger 10/22 is a fine firearm if your Mom is ok with a rifle.
Old December 21, 2005, 03:07 PM   #6
yorec

.22 lr's deffinately the way to go. When's she's comfortable, she can always work up, but if you start to big, you have to correct the problems before moving. That's a hassle you want to avoid.
Old December 21, 2005, 03:27 PM   #7
Yaker

I have handed a .22 to people that "hate guns" and "don't like to shoot"

In about 2 minutes I find myself showing them how to reload the mag.
Old December 21, 2005, 03:30 PM   #8
Yaker

Plus they're cheap to buy and cheap to shoot
Old December 21, 2005, 07:31 PM   #9
tc8706

we started my sister and my mom on a .22
Old December 25, 2005, 02:14 PM   #10
AirForceShooter

yes:
as stated the .22.
But after a while if you see she's having a ball ASK if she wants to try something else. and I mean ASK.
Not, hey MOM try this.
More like Mom wanna try mine? and if she says she's happy with the .22 just keep shooting and shut up.

AFS
Old December 25, 2005, 05:54 PM   #11
hIPSHOT33

Everyone should start with a 22 . I don't think I would take her to a range where there were a lot of folkes around . It would be better if she learned safty from you and also have a good time doing it . insted of haveing to follow some range masters protocol the first time out . If possible go up in the hills and set up some cans and let her have fun knocking them over . teaching her safty while doing it .
Old January 20, 2006, 09:23 PM   #12
Houndog

Notice a pattern here? .22 is perfect for first time shooter. No recoil. Accurate. Cheap to shoot.

Also advice about taking her to the range when it's not crowded is right on, particularly if it's an indoor range.

When I first started shooting I went to an indoor range where the guy next to you might be shooting a .22 pistol, or a 300 Win Mag with a muzzle brake. Even with hearing protection it is very hard to concentrate with that much noise next to you. For a first timer, who's already a little nervous its impossible.
Old January 20, 2006, 11:10 PM   #13
Badreno

+1 for the ... can you guess.... .22LR.

Not just a beginners gun. I've been shooting for years and .22 is still at the top of my favorite guns to shoot.

Cheap to shoot.

Easy on recoil and report.

You can customize them in ways you can't imagine. I especially like the Ruger 10/22.
Old January 24, 2006, 04:41 PM   #14
socom58

.22 is cool for beginners and I shoot it a lot. However, the first pistol I ever shot was a 9mm Beretta 92.
Old January 24, 2006, 05:26 PM   #15
Invicta

Either the .22 or 9mm would be a good starter gun. Unless your like 50 pounds and have really small hands I dont think the 9mm would be too much for a first timer. The first handgun I ever shot was a .44mag Desert Eagle.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:03 AM   #16
GlocksRfun

yup. .22 would be good. I don't have a .22 pistol, but I have a .380. I can't get my mom to go shooting with me yet, but I'm still trying. I would think a 9mm shouldn't be too much, but I would try to stay under 9mm.
Old February 5, 2006, 12:41 PM   #17
Mastrogiacomo

I don't think the 9mm is that bad. I had a 442 and Beretta type M (9mm) neither of which I had fired when I first bought them. The 442 scared the Hell out of me but the 9mm was a lot of fun - though yes, I was nervous when I heard it go off when my teacher used it. If you're really concerned, stick with the .22 but I personally didn't find the Beretta to be that scary when I tried shooting it for the first time.

Laura
Old February 5, 2006, 03:32 PM   #18
22-rimfire

Learn to shoot with the 22, either rifle or handgun. Move upward in caliber from there as interest and needs dictate. Ear protection is important even with the rifle. Learn good habits.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:45 PM   #19
fisherman66

I find it just incredible that nobody has mentioned the 22lr.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:48 PM   #20
ckmoose04

Start her out with a 460 mag or 50 BMG lol
Old February 5, 2006, 05:48 PM   #21
SCCop

I can't object in this meeting of the .22lr admiration society. Getting her up to a 9 mm shouldn't be too difficult, but the Beretta may be. Many small women (and men for that matter) have difficulty with the Beretta especially the reach for the trigger. Of course, some don't, so let her give it a try.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old February 5, 2006, 05:59 PM   #22
garand_shooter

Started my 8 year old nephew out on a Beretta Neos. He went through about a box @ 7 yards just making it go bang, and learning safety. Then he started hitting paper consistently. Had to damn near pry it out of his hand when it was time to leave. Great cartridge to learn the basics with and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.
Old February 22, 2006, 08:30 AM   #23
oldguy52

Like the rest of the rimfire admiration society I have to say 22! Miniscule recoil, cheap to shoot and not a lot of flash and bang. A new shooter doesn’t need any of the distractions when learning the fundamentals of shooting. Plenty of time to go to the larger guns later but stick small in the beginning. Colt and S&W used to make same frame revolvers in 22 for use in practice as well others who made conversion kits for the 1911 and may still. It’s a fun way to keep the hand in without reloading or going bankrupt buying target ammo and it will make you a better shot. Remember folks who have never shot won’t know that 22 isn’t a 44 mag as they have nothing to compare it to. No need to scare anyone away from shooting when they are just starting. That happens too often I feel, with individuals pushing bigger handguns in the training stage.. Once your mom has the fundamentals down and is enjoying it is the time to raise the bar and go to a centerfire that she can be comfortable with. So for now get brothers 22 and get mom out to the range. Just my two cents and worth what you paid.
Old February 22, 2006, 05:20 PM   #24
plasticgunz

I took a first time handgun shooter shooting this summer, she is 43, 5'6", 105lbs. We started with my G19C. After teaching her safety and a good grip, she was on paper at 10yds almost immediately. She quickly moved to the G17, which she preferred over the 19, I believe she preferred the little added weight. Within an hour she had moved to the fullsize, steel Baby Eagle .40. She loved it! I believe the added weight of the steel frame more than made up for the recoil of the .40. I guess my recommendation is the 9mm, but try and start her on a steel framed gun. The weight seems to boost confidence, go figure.