The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2015, 10:44 AM   #26
goochster

skizzumns right on xpt

well I loaded 5 rounds 90gr xpt with 4.2gr bullseye and then 5 rounds with 4.5 gr bullesye. The 4.5 was all the red area grouping. The wood underneath didn't show any sign of tumble with either load so hopefully this will point us in the right direction with the 125grn LRN. I'm now thinking it is load but I cannot find any bullseye loads for the cast bullet.
on the 90gr xpt the 4.2gr would be around 950fps where the 4.5gr would be close to 1100fps.

Old June 2, 2015, 11:41 AM   #27
skizzums

good!! looks like we take a gun malfunction off the table.

your hi-point is plus p rated, so don't get too worried about getting to the max 9mm luger data. i'd like you to get up past 4gr of bullseye and your still tumbling, then we know there is something about your process that is jacking the lead up or there is an inherent problem with those bullets themselves.

good luck
Old June 2, 2015, 12:39 PM   #28
goochster

thanks, I'll work on it tomorrow,, but thanks for the xpt.. I really like those and heck they were only 2.00 more than the lead 125's I bought.
Use to live in Georgia many years ago(37) got married on top of amacola falls in Dawsonville Georgia; Funny thing is the JP that married us is now the current mayor of a booming town
Old June 3, 2015, 12:04 PM   #29
goochster

skizzums was right!

I loaded some of those 125gr LRN bullets this time with 4.1gr bullseye and 4.4gr bullseye. The 4.4 gave nice round holes.
Thanks ALL for the help!
Old June 3, 2015, 01:20 PM   #30
skizzums

I can only guess that maybe your high point has a slower twist than most 9mm's? maybe someone can confirm or bust that guess, but I see lots of people stand by a 3.6gr-4.0gr of bullseye with a 125gr in most 9mm pistols. thetruthaboutguns had an article relating to the hi-point .45 having issues running 230gr bullets as well, so could be a twist rate or that hi-point has only 3 lands compared to most guns 4-5. when you buy your next box of lead bullets, try some 115gr and see if those don't end up being more accurate. and not that hi-point aren't fine for protecting your home, it's not something I take too seriously accuracy-wise outside of keeping in the COM. no hate, I have a HP carbine and had a pistol, never a problem from either, but it seems like your taking your shooting interest seriously, so you would probably benefit from an upgrade.

good luck pursuing your new hobby in re-loading. this is where I ironed out my issues as well, great advice on this forum, well.....in the reloading part anyways

p.s. if you wanna save yourself some bucks and maybe some future headaches, try out extreme bullets, they run really nice without the smoke and leading and wont get shaved in the crimp, although overcrimping will still distort. http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-115...15rn-b0500.htm

Last edited by skizzums; June 3, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old June 3, 2015, 02:26 PM   #31
AFK

How many of the 4.4 BE rounds did you shoot? If more than 4, was there any leading?
Old June 3, 2015, 03:04 PM   #32
goochster

actually 5(1-miss)
I didn't see any leading at all other than normal from shooting lead bullets. I will probably load the xpt bullets from now on for they are super accurate as you can see my red grouping at 30feet. They were only a few dollars more than lead(2)
Old June 3, 2015, 04:45 PM   #33
WVMountaineer

goochster, Mr. skizzum just would't give up on you. I'm sure you are indebted. Good on you skizzum.

BTW, extreme makes some great bullets. I like them. However, don't over look the powder coated lead stuff from some manufacture's. It shoots clean. And, for the 9mm, is much cheaper than the extreme bullets. Which is saying a lot, as they are very affordable.

God Bless
Old June 3, 2015, 04:50 PM   #34
AFK

Normal for shooting lead bullets is no leading at all. Not busting on you, but if a new lead shooter happens upon this thread, I just want them to know. If you have any leading there is still an issue, and my bet is there is still a fitment issue.

If there is noticeable leading after only 5 rounds, what would it be like after say 50 or 100 rounds?

Last edited by AFK; June 3, 2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Adding content
Old June 3, 2015, 04:54 PM   #35
goochster

being my very first time on the forum I am very pleased with the help and guidance. I've been to other boards but this is the one I would highly recommend to anyone with questions.
Thanks All for the great help.
Old June 3, 2015, 05:33 PM   #36
goochster

AFK, maybe I don't understand leading?? I would think that when you shoot lead, some of it has to be left in the barrel as the bullet spins through?? Of course that could just be gunpowder and not actual lead. If you are talking about looking into the barrel, gun unloaded, and seeing some strips of lead I guess that would be leading.. that I don't have.
Old June 3, 2015, 06:10 PM   #37
skizzums

generally, if you have a bullet fit issue, you'll see some leading in the first inch or two of the barrel. just looks like a rough area compared to the rest, or your grooves will be filled. you'll see where it starts and where the normal texture of your barrel begins. f you have a poor lubing issue, you'll see the same, but usually in the last couple inches of the barrel, where the lube starts to run out.

ill put a pic of some leading for you to see. i have a revolver with a very rough barrel and it always has some kind of leading in it.

as to running such a high load of bullseye, you won't likely have that problem if next time you find a faster powder that's more appropriate for the 9mm, like titegroup or HP38. but the thing about this that is still odd, is that you got the 90gr XTP to fly straight with about the same about of powder. so who really knows, but it works for now and i don't think you'll be buying those bullets again anyways, so use them up with what works and i won't lose any sleep over it.
Old June 3, 2015, 07:31 PM   #38
goochster

Nope!! No barrel leading.. I found quite a few photos online. Some of them look like they need a penicillin treatment
Old June 4, 2015, 11:32 AM   #39
dyl

Just a tip you may/ may not need, one of my pistols shoots MUCH better with 125 grn lead round nose that does not have a stepped shoulder, just the shape of an upside down U (with a groove for lube). I barely put any crimp on it, just enough to get rid of the belling. I think it's more bearing surface as the bullet travels down the barrel.

Tags
125grain , 9mm , bullseye pistol