The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 16, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Pistol Pete 44 spc

Uberti Stallion 38 special loading issue

I recently purchased a new Uberti Stallion in 38 special. It has a problem. Put it a half cock and open the loading gate. When you turn the cylinder, once it clicks into place you can't load it as the cylinder has turned too far and the cartridge hits the side of the loading gate and won't go in. The only way to load it is to turn the cylinder and load the cartidge before it clicks. By click, I mean the hand that turns the cylinder when you half cock it slips into place so that the cylinder won't turn counter clockwise.

The gun has a five year warranty with Stoeger so I sent it to them but they sent it back to me and said that's the way the gun is made by Uberti and they won't fix it.

Does anyone have a Uberti Stallion in 38 special and do you have this problem loading it?

Pistol Pete 44 spc

Last edited by Pistol Pete 44 spc; November 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Ozzieman

Never had an Uberty other than there cap and ball, but does the gun have a cross bar or hammer safety like the Ruger.
The Ruger you load with the hammer down and only open the cylinder gate. Although with the Ruger you can’t cock the hammer with the gate open or open the gate with the hammer back.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 17, 2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Pistol Pete 44 spc

Uberti Stallion 38 special loading issue

No, it's a colt clone, 4 clicks and all. No transfer bar safety like on my Ruger
vaquero. To load, it has to be on half cock (second click) with gate open. The safety is a second notch on the cylinder rod. When the cylinder rod is all the way in to the second notch, it sticks out the other end and blocks the hammer from reaching the firing pin.

Unfortunately when the cylinder is turned clockwise to the point where it won't turn counter clockwise, the hole doesn't line up with the gate and you can't load it.

Stoeger, the importer that is suppose to honor the warranty, says they are all like that and won't fix it. I don't believe them.

A local gun smith told me he can fix it by filing down the hand the turns the cylinder.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Bob Wright

Quote:
A local gun smith told me he can fix it by filing down the hand the turns the cylinder.
But wouldn't that affect complete cylinder lock-up possibly?

Bob Wright
Old November 17, 2012, 09:27 PM   #5
WIL TERRY

ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE you are not pulling the hammer back a trifle too far past the the half cock notch then coming back to it ??
Old November 18, 2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Hawg

They are all like that, just don't turn it past the chamber. If you file the hand down you ruin the timing and the chamber won't line up with the barrel on full cock.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Pistol Pete 44 spc

Quote:
ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE you are not pulling the hammer back a trifle too far past the the half cock notch then coming back to it ??
Thanks, I will check. However, I don't think it wouldn't matter if I was. It would still end up in the same place.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Pistol Pete 44 spc

Quote:
They are all like that, just don't turn it past the chamber. If you file the hand down you ruin the timing and the chamber won't line up with the barrel on full cock.
Problem is that once the cylinder is turned, the chamber is already partially past the chamber and won't go back. Just taking about filing it a little so that the cylinder doesn't turn quite so far at half cock. There's still plenty of room left at full cock to engage the slot in the cylinder which is what lines up the chamber with the barrel.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:59 PM   #9
RJay

It really sounds normal, if you start fileing the hand you will do more harm than good.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Hawg

Just turn it on around to the next chamber. You obviously have no clue as to how a single action works. If you take the least little bit off the hand it will affect timing. Take enough off to have a chamber lined up to load when its on half cock and it will be almost a half a hole off between the chamber and barrel when its on full cock.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Grant D

Put on half cock,open loading gate,turn cylinder till hole lines up with loading gate,insert round,repeat four times,close loading gate,return hammer to rest.
FORGET ABOUT THE CLICKS!
Old November 18, 2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Hawg

What Grant D said except load one, skip one, load four more. Pull hammer to full cock and let it down from there. The hammer will be on the empty chamber. Never let the hammer down from half cock unless you like the look of turn lines on cylinders.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:25 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

+1 to what Grant and Hawg have recommended . . . good advice.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63