The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum > TFL Photo Contest

Old June 3, 2008, 02:17 AM   #51
Shadi Khalil

I say shut'er down buddy boy!

Lets do to this right.......
Old June 3, 2008, 02:28 AM   #52
Shadi Khalil

Bud,

In the new thread you open, could you set the terms? One pic per poster, and a open/close date, no PBP or bandit entries .....Anything else I'm leaving out guys? Lets speak up before Bud shuts it down

thanks.
Old June 3, 2008, 08:53 AM   #53
Freakdaddy

I say we keep this thread open until a set of rules/guidelines are established. That way, we don't open another thread and have three pages without structure until post #77. When we do open the new thread, the first post can be by the Administrators stating the rules. Well, let the brainstorming begin.

1. One picture per member, your choice.

2. I suggest the dates of 6/24 to 6/27 or 7/11 to 7/14 for the contest to run. Voting will take place the weekend following the end date with the winner announced on Monday. I'm just throwing these dates out there and we may actually want to go shorter in duration of posting pictures, say from Wednesday to Friday.

3. The thread with the photos can contain photos only. No comments from anyone. If so, they will be deleted. This way, we don't have to trudge through numerous comments to get to the next picture.

4. I think the voting will have to be done like the polls posted here with the members post # being the vote button. I don't know if the Mods can expand the allotted spaces this once for voting or if we will need multiple threads to encompass the entire contest entries. I hope that made sense.

5. Any member can vote but you are only allowed one vote so make it count. I don't know if there is anyway of tracking that or not. I'd like to think we are ladies and gentlemen and can use the honor system but...I just don't trust the Penguin!

Okay, now for the nuts and bolts of the final result. The winner will only be able to rub it in our faces for the duration their winning photo is placed in the sticky. Maybe they can have the title "Grand Master Photo Champ 2008" next to their name. And in all fairness, Penguin and Bandit can play. Now we can crown the "Grand Master" once and for all! At least for this year.
Old June 3, 2008, 09:38 AM   #54
sw_florida

I'm fine with just one photo per contestant, be it a hand gun or a long gun photo. Any artistic photo should be allowed and each photo should have a title, free of choice, to clarify what the photo is about, be it an artistic title or not.

I'd like to see the posting period to be in July so that people have time to schedule a trip to a specific place or a specific gun range where they would like to shoot the photo, or in my case, I've ordered new barrel that will take one month to arrive from today. How about posting July 1 through July 12 and voting July 13 through July 26? I know I will be away for one week in July but I can't remember which, and I can't be the only one with that dilema. These dates give flexibility. The smartest thing is of course to post the photo as close to the ending posting date as possibe.

Voting could be done in a separate thread, by posting a note to it. That way it's easy to see that each contestant is only voting once.
Old June 3, 2008, 11:34 AM   #55
oneSoneK

aye.. shut it down and lets organize it from the word go
Old June 3, 2008, 11:42 AM   #56
Shadi Khalil

Those are all good rules. I like the idea of having till july. If we have that much time to prepare then the posting dates should be shorter, as stated above. Also, the no comment rule is good. As for the voting, I guess we should do whatever is easier, the poll seems to be the best route. Mod's, on the voting, how do you think we should handle it?
Old June 3, 2008, 07:59 PM   #57
kristop64089

Aye for closing
Old June 3, 2008, 08:32 PM   #58
Bud Helms

Okay, we're closing this one. I'll post an opening thread for the first weekly contest, with a few basic rules, probably in the next 24 hours. If anyone has any more ideas, just PM me or JohnKSa.

Staff has agreed in principle, but the voting has to be worked out, as a couple of you have mentioned.

sw_florida, in all fairness to everyone here, if you have some special setting or circumstances for your puc, you can just post it in the first weekly contest after you have gotten your picture ready.
Old June 3, 2008, 08:36 PM   #59
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Mod's, on the voting, how do you think we should handle it?
I think the poll idea is best. That will guarantee only one vote per member, and there will be no missed votes caused by having to sort through and count numerous posts.

We can have as many poll entries as there are photo entries, there is no real limit, at least not for mods. I'll volunteer to set up the voting poll.