The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 18, 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
led0321

Jimenez pistols?

Hey guys, my father in law bought one of these 9mm new for his nightstand gun.

He has never owned a pistol and tried to save some money. Outside of shooting a shotgun growing up he knows nothing about firearms. He is a country boy but hasn't hunted in a long time.

I was trying to explain the "break in period" but not sure he was listening.

Can he trust his life with this pistol? What is the break in period?

Thanks
Old August 18, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

The only Low priced pistol that I have found reliable enough to trust my life with is a Hi-Point. Big, Ugly and Heavy as they are, they shoot everything.

My advice is trade it for a Hi-point, My experience with Jimenez is not a good one.

Stay away from Cobra CA380's too! Lucky to get a 100 rounds before the thing wears out.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Locoweed

A reasonable break-in period for a Jimenez might be the life of the pistol -- they don't last very long. They are a pretty cheap handgun and I would never consider one. If you want an inexpensive handgun then go for Hi-Point.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Jiminez/Wilkinson/Lorcin/Davis ==> all JUNK.

Tell him to buy a real gun.

Quote:
Can he trust his life with this pistol?
Absolutely not.

Quote:
What is the break in period?
Five minutes, five rounds, or out the gun shop door ... whichever comes first. As posted above, there is no break-in period -- it's likely to break before it's "broken in."
Old August 18, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those pistols, to put it nicely, do not have a good reputation. The company was originally Jennings, located in CA. The state deliberately set up to drive Jennings and some other companies out of business or out of the state, claiming that inexpensive guns were evil. The company assets were bought by Jimenez who moved the company to Nevada and renamed the product line.

The design is good, materials and quality control not so good. I personally would want something better, but many of those guns have fooled the critics and have performed surprisingly well in tests intended to prove they are no good.

Jim
Old August 18, 2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What is the break in period?
The idea of a break-in period usually applies to tightly-fitted machinery. That doesn't really apply to the Jimenez guns.

I've seen some work well, others not so much. Apparently, their warranty service is good, so if the gun doesn't work, consider that option.
Old August 18, 2013, 09:06 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The problem with warranty service in a defense gun that the company will only honor its warranty if the claimant is alive.

Jim
Old August 18, 2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Psychedelic Bang

a few more dollars (about $200) and you get a nice taurus... I don't care how bad people rag on taurus.. they have good quality.

I think people rag on taurus cause they have no innovation. That's true.. Every taurus is pretty much an idea that came from somewhere else.

Still.. if all I had was a fast $350, I'd bet my life on a Millenium G2. and they feel great in my hand.. ymmv...

Edit = btw, I just saw the price for the nib J.A. 380... You can still get a used Taurus @ any gun show and you will have something way better... IMHO
Old August 18, 2013, 09:30 PM   #9
monoxide

Jimenez pistols?

I never had any probs with my ja22 I had. I did polish the feed ramp because that's what every one said had probs with that.
Old August 18, 2013, 10:52 PM   #10

Sell it ASAP
Old August 18, 2013, 11:04 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

There is no "break-in" period for a Jemenez. Just the "until It breaks" period. Which all too often is within the first box of ammo!
I, Cheapshooter don't even want one!
Hi-Point, yes, but just say no to Jemenez.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 19, 2013, 01:19 AM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
I don't care how bad people rag on taurus.. they have good quality.

I think people rag on taurus cause they have no innovation. That's true.. Every taurus is pretty much an idea that came from somewhere else.
Consider the idea that you may have everything here completely and entirely backwards.

Taurus is plenty innovative, it's a large part of their success. (their ported gun designs, the irrational success of the Judge, their revolving carbines and all the different flashy items they'll attempt when other gun makers won't)

It's their quality and attention to finishing detail that hurts them the most and their reputation for irrationally slow service that comes in directly behind their quality that has so many people ragging on them.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:20 AM   #13
pilpens

"Until it breaks" period --- Exactly.

Get rid of the pistol and get something else.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Skans

I have talked about how I have one of the "good" J-22's manufactured. It's over 20 years old, has been shot quite a bit, carried some - even in harsh weather conditions. It's as reliable as any .22 and still looks 95% cosmetically.

However, I would not recommend that anyone buy one of these guns in 9mm. I also have a Lorcin (same as Jimenez) .380. It suffers from a weak extractor and weak extractor spring - both of which have been replaced several times by previous owner (I did not buy this gun, it was given to me). I have never fired the 9mm version - so I really do not know if it is reliable or not.

The bottom line: Lorcin/Jimenez pistols are at the lowest place on the pecking order of gun quality. They do not hold their value and can be difficult to sell/trade even in good condition. This is because Hi-Point has figured out how to make a cheap, ugly, but quite durable and reliable pistol in the same price range as the Lorcin/Jimenez centerfire guns.
Old August 19, 2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Sevens

I have a Jennings J-22 that I have mentioned on here before. Lately, I've been trying to goad my friends in to paying me cash money to shoot it.

I have yet failed to find a sweet spot on price that will get one of my buddies to shoot it. I started at $100, dropped to $85 and still haven't had any takers. Nobody wants to shoot my little Jennings.

It's disappointing, I even offered all the ammo and my Coonan to do the shooting, they still didn't wish to take shots at the little pistol while it's laying on the berm 25 yards down range.
Old August 19, 2013, 02:17 PM   #16
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
a few more dollars (about $200) and you get a nice taurus...
Really the Jennings go for about $225 and for another $100-$120 you can get a few reliable guns.

In the $325-$345 price range you can get the S&W SW9VE or SW40VE. Also the Ruger P95 just to begin with. Just worth the extra $100 to me.

Used ones go for even less.

If the choice is to keep the Jimenez, don't use it for a range gun.
Old August 19, 2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Psychedelic Bang

Those SDVE's have the same reputation of Taurus.
Old August 19, 2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Sevens

Given your location... any chance you work for the Forjas Taurus?
Old August 19, 2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Psychedelic Bang

no.. I don't work for them. I happen to think their guns are pretty solid. I realize its not the popular opinion...
Old August 19, 2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Taurus firearms are not the subject of this thread. Jimemez firearms are.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Those SDVE's have the same reputation of Taurus.
Taking from what tom said neither are the SD9VE. But your claim is totally unsubstantiated as the reliability of it has never been questioned to any real extent. Personally over 2500 rounds with no issues with function.

I have owned several Jennings and a few Jimenez in 22,380 and 9mm and based my previous opinion on the experience I have had with them.

One 380 I had fly apart while firing. The retainer that keeps the slide on broke and it just flew apart.

Biggest problems O had with the J22's was extraction. The 9mm had Extraction issues as well. Sold it.

I had a couple, low round j22's and 380's that functioned fine when I re-traded them for something else.
Old August 19, 2013, 09:09 PM   #22
ripnbst

Jimenez pistols?

I'd see if be can return it to where he bought it for store credit. Meaning its not a return for refund but he could essentially trade it in for something else. Do it quickly, while its never been shot. You said this is your wife's dad right? Why don't you give him a couple hundy so he can get a quality firearm. I would not be comfortable with anyone I loved trusting their life to a pot metal price of junk. I wouldn't think twice about loaning them some money knowing they might not pay it back to get him into a used Glock 9mm. New guns with great reputations can be found for $450. I think that's what I paid for my M&P 9.
Old August 20, 2013, 04:10 AM   #23
kozak6

I've fired a Bryco predecessor of the Jimenez. The first round would reliably fire right to the point of aim, every time. Then, it might malfunction on every remaining round in the magazine. At best, it might go three rounds between malfunctions.

It sounds like he isn't a gun guy. Since he isn't a listener either, actions speak louder than words.

First, locate a more suitable pistol for him.

Then, take him and his shiny new Jimenez to the range. Since the pistol will likely choke completely, you will have a much easier time pointing him towards the pistol you already found for him.

Or, if he somehow got a good one, it will prove itself. Make sure it's cleaned and lubricated properly when he's done, and maybe it'll work out for him.
Old August 20, 2013, 06:06 AM   #24
dean1818

Run !!!

I have seen them jam at the range.... again, and again, and again

If he wants to save cash, the Hipoint is ugly but hugely reliable. (And accurate)

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old August 20, 2013, 08:07 AM   #25
Skans

Quote:
Really the Jennings go for about $225
Hey, anyone who is thinking of paying $225 for a Jennings 9mm, I've got the deal of the century for you - a Lorcin .380 for $100!!! (I bet I hear crickets chirping on this offer )