The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

Use guns to save the elephants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/wo...e-up-arms.html

The basic story is how Kenyan civilians, some on their own and some with government help, are forming militias to protect wildlife and the associated tourism business. There are local groups that do this with private arms.

I can't understand the Times or some reports are being perverse. The Times has continually denounced gun ownership and made fun of self-defense concerns. They recently had an OP-ed saying that if you had an AR it was your man card (the old Freud story). But here's a story that might be applied to the US in some of our circumstances (the border, after Katrina). Every once in awhile a progun story gets through. Weird.
Old December 30, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
steveno

isn't Kenya one of the countries that banned most if not all hunting a few years ago?
Old December 30, 2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Every once in awhile a progun story gets through. Weird.
Probably because it has nothing to do with guns in the US. Throw in the part about saving the Elephants and you're golden.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:35 AM   #4
DaleA

Wow, saving elephants in Africa with arms. Did that ever jog a memory and with the help of IMDB I nailed it down.

There was a 1958 movie:

The Roots of Heaven

starring Trevor Howard where Howard's character was trying to save the elephants in Africa and eventually formed an armed group to do it. Errol Flynn and Orson Welles were in it too.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:46 AM   #5
PawPaw

When I was helping run The Frugal Outdoorsman, we had a guy, Tink Nathan send in a hunting story about some game wardens in the Selous chasing poachers. Great read.

And, yeah, that's the same Tink Nathan of Tink's #69 Doe-in-Rut Buck Lure.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 31, 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Alabama Shooter

Want to really blow your mind?

Check out this article in the rabidly anti-gun UK Guardian glorifying real life violence backing Al Queda militia killing with a machine gun:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...bi?INTCMP=SRCH

From the lengthy article:
Quote:
He stands with five of his gunmen behind a wall. He is carrying a heavy machine gun, its bandolier of bullets wrapped around his chest. The plan is simple and bold: attack the government forces face to face. They will not be expecting that, he says. "All our fighting had been with snipers for the past two weeks."

As the battle rages and the volume of gunfire rises to deafening levels, Abu Ali stands in the middle of a window, exposed to the army, and fires his machine gun. His men are hiding behind walls trying to support him. Bullets fly all around him.

Afterwards, back in his parent's half-ruined house, the men's morale is sky-high. In his adrenaline rush Abu Ali jokes and laughs with them. He sits on the floor listening to old Syrian musicians singing love songs, and the men talk about the battle.

"I still can't believe that this was my mother's room, and now look at all of the men sitting there," Abu Ali says.

"Ah, how I jumped when a bit of exploded bullet hit my ass," he laughs. "I swear we killed at least four."

Or this one calling murderous looting "distractions of the spoils of war" and completely over looking the rape gangs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ar?INTCMP=SRCH

Gun banners have absolutely no problem promoting guns and violence when it meets with their goals. In fact, in some cases I would say they find it somewhat necessary to disarm the population to meet with their goals depending upon whom the person proposing the ban is.

In the final analysis all RKBA people have a libertarian streak and all gun banners are a bit statist. This is not really a right left thing.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7
DaleA

I'm afraid I have to call a big fraud on this story Alabama Shooter.

Everybody knows any kind of 'militia' cannot possibly stand up against any kind of government forces.

And the portrayal of the militia joking and laughing and singing songs? Pure fantasy when everybody knows every member of a 'militia' is a sad, pathetic, frightened loner-loser-degenerate that just cowers in his bunker surrounded by all the anti-social killing machines he has been able to accumulate.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
And the portrayal of the militia joking and laughing and singing songs? Pure fantasy when everybody knows every member of a 'militia' is a sad, pathetic, frightened loner-loser-degenerate that just cowers in his bunker surrounded by all the anti-social killing machines he has been able to accumulate.
I will say the media in general is quite bizarre and brazen about hypocrisy. The day that particular article ran they ran another article about all of the evilness of guns on their site front page.

One would think with all the conflicting portrayals that some people would engage their frontal lobes instead of trying to channel emotionalism but sadly no.