The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 26, 2001, 01:24 AM   #1
claypigeon

bear hunt

hello,
I'm a new member but have been actively reading posts for about a year now.
Anyway ,I plan on going on my first black bear hunt and have a few questions for those that have more experience. Is a 25-06 to light of a caliber to use on blk bear? Is the success rate higher if you have baited the bears prior to the season or will just hanging around a huckleberry patch be fine?
I plan on going to some remote areas, sometimes an occasional
Grizzley is seen, any suggestion for equipment? Thanks for all the input.

Regards
Old August 26, 2001, 06:14 AM   #2
Thibault

Welcome aboard!

IMVHO, 25-06 might just be on the lighter side of things for a black bear. General consensus among hunters in my area tends toward 27 caliber / 150 gr as a practical minimum, I suggest using as much gun as you can accurately shoot. Bears are unpredictable, you need all the stopping power you can use. Hunting over bait, most shots will be taken within 100 yards, so you better trade the flat trajectory for a heavy bullet.

Any time you spend baiting will most likely cut hunting time. If local regulations allow you to do so, go ahead!
We use a compact folding emergency stove (burns twigs, available in just about any hardware store for a few bucks) to gently simmer a can of bacon fat, thus creating a scent trail that a bear won't resist...

As far as Grizzly bear goes, I would suggest at least a short-barreled 12 ga loaded with slugs, or as much centerfire gun as you can survive shooting, in a short and handy package. 45/70 guide guns immediately spring to mind.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Old August 26, 2001, 12:40 PM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

Check your hunting regulation handbook very carefully. Archery season starts this weekend in the some states and it is prohibited to possess a centerfire rifle during that season (in some states). Same goes for Centerfire deer and elk (begins in mid Sept.), if you don't have a tag for that season, you cannot be in the forest with a rifle. Just across the creek here in Oregon, we have the added feature of no baiting or dogs. We can thank the PETA crowd for that one.