The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2000, 09:42 PM   #1
Tall Man

I own a Mossberg Maverick Model 88 pump-action 12 guage shotgun, with an 18.5" barrel. The acquisition of this weapon was appropriate to my defensive needs and economic situation at the time that it was purchased.

I'm now in a position to purchase a "better" shotgun. All suggestions from TFL's members are welcome. The brand in question is not important, although I would prefer to purchase a weapon that is American made. The intended use of this device will remain tactical. That being said, the barrel should at least be interchangable if an 18.5" barrel isn't standard.

I should echo my dad's sentiments here: I won't complain about price, but I will complain about quality.

One more thing...I'll have owned my Model 88 for one year on/about Dec 8th. The purchase price was $189.00, and I've only fired 10 shells through it. What would be an appropriate trade-in value to accept from my dealer?

Thanks,
Tall Man

The sun never sets
for souls on the run
The Wild and the Young
Old November 28, 2000, 07:27 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Don't expect much on a trade, dealers will not pay more on a trade in than they will for a new one at wholesale. Better deal is to sell it and walk in with cash.

As for what to get, while there's lots of good shotguns out there, a USED Remington 870 is hard to beat for durability, longevity, versatility, and effectiveness. Extra bbls are available, and not expensive.

However, first I suggest trying out several different shotguns and seeing what you like and what works for you...
Old November 29, 2000, 07:37 AM   #3
JK

I second the opinion of the 870 being the best choice. There are more accessories available for the 870 than any other gun. Talk with your dealer about getting a police model. They are held to closer tolorences by the factory and have the "Flex tab kit" already installed. As long as the 870 feels good to you, they are the best, most reliable pump SG on the market. The price is right also.
Good Shooting-John K
Old November 29, 2000, 07:28 PM   #4
tyro

Thanks to Dave McC, yesterday I resisted a temptation to buy a Benelli autoloader and instead bought a hardly used, LNIB, 870 Police Magnum. What a wonderful gun. So solid, simple, and easy to use. Although I am still a novice, while trying it out for the first time today, I hit everything I aimed - or rather, pointed - the gun at, and enjoyed it immensely. Thanks again, Dave.

P.S., it was nice to not have a PC trigger lock on this gun, as all the new ones have. It is also great to have such a heavy-duty barrel, which (so far as I know) only comes on the Police models. Anyone who has a chance to buy such a perfect gun at so good a price (mine cost $389.95) could not go wrong in doing so.
Old November 30, 2000, 06:59 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the compliments, Tyro, Enjoy your new shotgun, it's an outstanding tool.

There's a couple of great "Most Gun For the Money" shotguns. H&R Single shots, the Savage 311 series utility doubles,and used 870s come to mind....
Old November 30, 2000, 07:22 PM   #6
Tall Man

Thanks...

...to all for your valuable feedback.

So you like the Remmy 870? Is that your final answer? :-)

The BIG Harrisburg, PA arms bazaar is rapidly approaching (09/10 Dec 00, Hbg. Farm Show Complex). Perhaps I'll take a keen look at the shotgun inventory as I stroll the aisles.

Tall Man

A Def Leppard fan
who nonetheless
will skip over
"Don't shoot shotgun"
when listening to
his Hysteria CD
Old November 30, 2000, 08:06 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Hadn't heard of that show,thanks.If work and family allow, I might get up there, it's about 1 1/2 hrs form here, and we go to the big show in Feb there.
Old December 1, 2000, 11:47 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Used Remington 870 Express. It will cost you less than a brand new one. BTW, the only difference between the standard Wingmaster and the 870 Express is the rougher finish. Remington wanted to produce a steel frame shotgun which would be competitive to the Mossberg 500 and by leaving the receiver rough, found it cut labor expenses immensely (no sanding or polishing prior to bluing).