The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 2016, 05:02 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

Dang it - Another Glock rear sight complaint

I have a Glock 23 gen 3. I have two major complaints in the form of a question.

#1 - The gen 2's had a half circle cut in the magwell. This was eliminated in the gen 3's. To me, this feature seems beneficial. The cut, much like beveling a 1911 magwell, would seemingly help in rapid magazine changes. Why would they revert to a design that originally had a beneficial application. (They also made the gen 3's feel like crap compared to the gen 2's and gen 4's in terms of grip angle/finger groove/backstrap...etc.)

#2 - I've been shooting glocks for 10+ years. I don't suffer from the typical "My glock shoots left because of trigger control/thumbing/etc...all that most new glock shooters have. My Gen 4 glock 19 is dead on accurate. The rear sight is drifted to the right slightly. Factory. NIB. Came that way.

I recently replaced my Gen 3 glock 23 sights with OEM Glock night sights. I measured the factory sights with the NS and they are dimensionally identical. I have a bit of OCD, and used a flat surface and calipers as well as a mechanics ruler to make sure the front sight was balls on center. I put the rear sight centered in the dovetail, and hit my local range with a wooden dowel and brass hammer figuring I'd need to drift it one way or another (most likely to the right since most glocks shoot left). Glock shot an inch or so left at 25'. I was shooting supported, taking careful aim. I had to drift the rear sight to the right. I have the gun sighted in now, and was throwing rounds dead center in a 1" square at 25' both from rest, and off hand.

But, to me, the rear sight is seemingly drifted too far to the right. As I compare my glock 19 and glock 23, the same amount of gap between the sight and slide are identical. Only, the gap on the left side of the rear sight is smaller on the glock 19, and larger on the 23. I almost have the rear sight on my Glock 23 drifted flush to the edge of the slide. This annoys me greatly. Even if I were .010" off on my front sight, using normal mathematical formuals, that's not even enough to have a 1 or 1.5" impact shift to the left at 25 feet. Cosmetically...I wish the dang thing would be dead on with the rear sight somewhat more centered in the dovetail.

Any means to correct this, or is this just the way glocks are. I am biased to 1911s...but routinely carry Glock because they don't rust.

I shot the gun with both the pad, crook and all variations of finger placement on trigger to see if it was me. Tis not.
Old March 30, 2016, 05:30 AM   #2
wpsdlrg

It's NOT "just the way Glocks are".......but rather, just the way SOME pistols are. Production variations.....very small ones. ALL guns have them. Simple as that. Happens to be that your pistol is zeroed with the rear sight tapped slightly to the right. No biggie - not worth getting into a twist over that.

With fixed sight hand guns, such as my revolvers, there isn't even an easy way to adjust the sights. So, a small variation in the POI between them is simply a training issue (you LEARN where they shoot, then aim accordingly).

POI differences can even be due to ammo (not just elevation differences, but windage also).

It's all part of the fun and challenge of shooting hand guns.
Old March 30, 2016, 07:08 AM   #3
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory gauvin

I recently replaced my Gen 3 glock 23 sights with OEM Glock night sights.

I almost have the rear sight on my Glock 23 drifted flush to the edge of the slide.
If your original sights weren't drifted almost flush to the edge of the slide, then either the new sights are bad or you screwed something up when you installed them.
Old March 30, 2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Gregory Gauvin

Original sights were slightly drifted to the right. Not as much as they are now, however...I don't remember the gun ever firing factory ammunition accurately at all - ever, to even recall if they were "dead on". It hit paper but not run single holes. I run handloads, now. I kinda found my pet load I like, and that's what the gun is now sighted for. But as stated, perhaps a different load will hit differently.

We'll see. I'm running 155 grain reloads now. When I run them out, I have two boxes of 165 grainers of a different brand. Thanks.