The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2014, 01:03 AM   #26
Laz

Aarond - I have both versions and while I think I like the new version better, I don't plan on getting rid of the older version. I think it shoots just fine. I could even argue the older version is even more pocket friendly with its long trigger but I won't. I think the long trigger has been more of a problem for those with big hands or long fingers. My hands are neither in particular and I find either version ok to shoot. Both serve the intended function very well IMO.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old March 26, 2014, 05:58 AM   #27
jrothWA

Typical, Ruger customer attitude...

you got what you bought.

Called when the REd LAbel was intoduced with choke tube, called about retro-fittng and told no.

Lawyer got them SCARED, any improvemnet / retro-fit to older model means they were deficient in design and they are opened to LAWSUITS.

The legac of the old model blackhawk fiasco.

Bought a "370-" LCP and trigger pull not a bother , did put drop of yello modeling paint of front sight. Daughter like it at the range , rhinking on "conning" me out of it!

SS slide an improvement due to rusting of slide for those that carry is all weather.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:03 AM   #28
aarondhgraham

Hello Laz,,,

Yeah, I'm in no real lather to trade for the newer version,,,
I'll just practice with the long pull and learn it.

But if someone with a green one would entertain a trade,,,
I would be all over that in a heartbeat.

I've gone color crazy in my old age.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 26, 2014, 02:41 PM   #29
JN01

Quote:
Lawyer got them SCARED, any improvemnet / retro-fit to older model means they were deficient in design and they are opened to LAWSUITS.
Yet they offered and still offer to retrofit older single action revolvers with transfer bars, presumably to avoid lawsuits.

With the LCP, it isn't a safety or defect issue, they simply improved on the design. There may not be a simple, cost effective way to retrofit the older ones, particularly on a gun that is relatively inexpensive to begin with.
Old November 9, 2016, 08:53 PM   #30
Deepc

Just took my new LCP II to the range and ran 100 rounds through it. The last five mags I had ftf jams and two in the pipe jams. I also had one instance of inserting the mag and having the slide cycle on it's own.

Not sure what's up with that.
Old November 9, 2016, 09:05 PM   #31
lefteye

I sincerely don't mean to offend anyone, but I honestly believe the original LCP is an excellent pocket pistol for close range self-defense. Mine fits nicely in a DeSantis pocket "holster." Sights are almost irrelevant in such a situation, and a longer or heavier trigger may even be safer. I do like the changes made on the LCP.
Old November 11, 2016, 03:27 AM   #32
TruthTellers

What I wonder about most is now that the LCP 2 is out and will replace the LCP gen 1's, how much will the first LCP's sell for now? I would think Ruger and gun shops are going to be looking to dump their inventory for little to no profit margin, so I'm thinking new, old LCP's will be going for $160 a pop.
Old November 11, 2016, 10:02 AM   #33
DaleA

TruthTellers (and anybody else that is reading) as the previous posts state, there were two 'flavors' of the 'original' LCP (before the LCP 'Custom'). I don't know if Ruger refers to them as 'gen1' or 'gen2'---I don't know if Ruger uses the 'gen' term at all.

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two LCP versions was the sights. The first ones had hardly any and second ones had bigger, (still small but they were bigger) sights. Probably a better way was to look for a '-' (dash) in the serial number. Early ones had the dash and later ones did not.

Ruger experts, please correct the following as needed:

1. Original LCP 2008-2012
2. Next LCP 2013-2015--bigger sights, different trigger, no dash in serial number.
3. 'Custom' LCP--Big Red Trigger (BRT), even bigger sights.
4. LCP II--2016 to ???. Hold open after last shot fired. Safety lever built into trigger is easiest way to visually identify the LCP II. (Besides of course the big 'LCP II' printed on the side of the slide.)
Old November 12, 2016, 07:57 AM   #34
tubeshooter

I believe you are correct, DaleA. Thanks for that vital bit of info.

It is a valid point. People doing a search and happening upon this thread may think the conversation is for the original LCP vs. LCP II, where it actually is for Gen1 original LCP vs. Gen2 original LCP. Especially if they are not aware of the history of events and don't pay attention to the date of the conversation.