The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2009, 05:25 PM   #1
BlindMansBluff

My new Ruger P95

Pics posted of my New Ruger P95

Yes, I know I was I really was going to buy a Glock. but..... Dude I bought a Ruger P95!!!!

I can take it down, clean and loob it. Its easy, just like the Glock. but it costed (is that even a word?) only 357.change out the door! Booya!

Got a hard case, two 15RD mags, a magloading tool and a brand new beatiful gun.

I just got home from the NRA convention as well. I went to it after I went to the Ruger Promo at my gun shop. I am now tired.

Any thoughts???

I think I posted two pics in this post and towards the bottom I posted a pic of the whole box. so says my daughter. we took a total of four, holstered, open, taken down, and in the hard case with everything it came with.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com

Last edited by BlindMansBluff; May 15, 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Daughter helped me take pics to post
Old May 15, 2009, 09:41 PM   #2
rdebert

Congrats. on your purchase. I have had great experiences with my Ruger P-series models. Reliable, tough, smooth shooters, and I shoot them very well. Mine exceeded my expectations.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Dr_2_B

Congrats blindmansbluff. But we think you're bluffing because you didn't include a pic.

That's a hint
Old May 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #4
BlindMansBluff

oh, sorry let me post it to my blog and you can see it there.

My daughter helped me take pics of it with my cell phone in several stages, open, closed, takedown and holstered. give me a few minutes and I'll post them to the blog.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 15, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5
publius

if the zombies invade, a ruger P series will be on my belt. Mine have been completely reliable with everything I've fed them over thousands of rounds.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Kyo

hell yea congrats! I love my Ruger. will never get rid of it. +1 for zombie killing. post up pics! I just checked your blog. they aren't up
Old May 15, 2009, 10:41 PM   #7
BlindMansBluff

Old May 15, 2009, 11:06 PM   #8
BlindMansBluff

There should be three pics posted in this thread and I know there is four posted on the blog.

So now, tell me what you think. Since I am not in Bluff status any longer.

Old May 15, 2009, 11:20 PM   #9
djohn

Your good Gabe,I never doubted you for a second sir and congrats on the ruger.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:44 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

The P95 is a great, no frills autopistol. I have a couple of them doing self/home defense duty and I never hesitate to recommend them, particularly for people who want a reliable, durable gun that is very easy to operate. I find that although it doesn't LOOK ergonomic, in practice it's a very good design. It points well and comes back on target naturally.

I've posted this before, but a friend of mine used to run a gunshop/range. When he started up, he purchased a number of the P95 pistols so he could rent pistols and give classes. In spite of heavy use and the fact that he purchased very low budget ammunition for use in the pistols, they held up perfectly and functioned very well.

He ended up selling most of the guns over time to people who shot them and then wanted to keep them. He ended up with two when he finally closed the shop and he took them home to use for home defense. I thought that was a pretty good endorsement.

I purchased one some years back and was impressed with it--now I have several.

Congratulations on your new pistol, it should provide many, many years of very satisfactory service.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:19 AM   #11
DAVE RICHHARDS

I bought a stainless model when they first came out. $250.00 out the door back then. Very accurate, totally reliable with anything I put in it. What more could you ask? In fact it kept me from being robbed by two guys one night many years ago. Sold it to a friend years later that needed a gun in a bad way. Built like a tank. Still a great buy. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new weapon.
It will protect you as well as anything out there. At a fraction of the price compared to some.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:21 AM   #12
Kyo

that last pic is gangster. good choice for a gun. good luck with it. what defense rounds are you gonna use?
Old May 16, 2009, 12:30 AM   #13
notamisfit6

I've owned one for a few months now and my only beefs are the extractor (had to rig up a tool to pull it down from the mag well one time) and the recoil spring (that retaining ring comes off real easy and it's a SOB to get back together when that happens). Haven't given mine the attention it warrants since I've moved up to a CZ, but all in all a damn good gun.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:37 AM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

The retaining ring that keeps the recoil springs captive does come off sometimes. There are several things you can do when that happens.

The first is to slightly chamfer the front opening on the slide where the recoil spring guide fits. With the edge chamfered, it's less likely to strip off the tiny retaining ring. That can help prevent future issues.

Then you can either try to replace the retaining clip or just contact Ruger and tell them your recoil spring assembly came apart and ask them to send you a new one. They'll very likely send you one at no charge.

I made a slightly beefier clip to replace one of mine and it seems to have held up.

The final option is to do NOTHING. The gun works fine with uncaptured springs, in fact the retaining clip doesn't do anything at all except when the gun is disassembled. I've got one with uncaptured springs and I've been too lazy to do anything about it. That's the P95 I shot in the IISHOT1000 match early this month. It finally malfunctioned twice on the last 50 rounds of the match. Only one gun performed better at the match, finishing with no malfunctions.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that the spring coils need to be going in opposite directions when the gun is assembled. That prevents them from binding.
Old May 16, 2009, 01:27 AM   #15
BlindMansBluff

Right now the P95 is sitting in its holster in the safe. I was told by the salex person that it is best to let the leather holster mold to the guns shape and keeping it in the holster for a while like a day or two and then for another day or two to draw from it a time or two should get the leather holster losen up.

I like the retention button on the holster as well.

My spotter congradulated me on the buy as well and heshould be coming this weekend to get it ready for its first range time. appently oiling it all up in places.

I have a question though, both of my mags have sticker labels on them, I don't know what they say but my mag loader when on the mags seems to be stiff and hard to press down to load rounds in the mag due to the stickers. can I tear the sticcker labels off the mag? whould I rub some sort of gun oil on the mag to smooth it out?

Old May 16, 2009, 08:01 AM   #16
blume357

If you take those labels off the govment will be knocking on your door! :-)

You have my permission to remove the labels.. I'll send you a letter to this effect if you need it.

tight Mag springs is normal... that's what the loader is for.

double action trigger pull will be a bear for a while... will smooth out after a couple hundred rounds.

Cheap* full metal jacket is best for practice...

then any name brand hydro shock will do for defense... but then you know the 9mm is a wimp round... lots of folks will tell you this...but then they don't usually get into what 12 or 15 of them stacked on top of each other will do to a bad guy.

*Cheap 9mm... well there used to be some out there.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:30 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Congrats on the P95. They are a great gun.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:16 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

For an easier time loading the magazines, check out the UPLULA pistol magazine loader. It works fine on Ruger P95 magazines (as well as on most centerfire pistol magazines). I have loaded well over 2000 rounds with mine so far without a hitch.

You can remove the magazine stickers, I've removed all of mine for the reasons you list. They do tend to make the magazine go in and out of the well less smoothly and will get torn up eventually anyway.

Be sure to get the glue off the magazines after you've removed the stickers.

Here's the text on the Ruger magazine warning stickers:

WARNING--UNLOADING
Removing magazine does not unload the gun or prevent it from firing! To unload, first remove magazine, then pull slide and eject cartridge from chamber.
SEE INSTRUCTION MANUAL
GUN WILL FIRE WITH MAGAZINE OUT

Tags
glock , p95 , ruger