The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Super-Dave

What is the smallest pistol caliber you would carry with you in bear country?

I am not talking about dealing with grizzly bears or polar bears. I mean just every day black bears.

My friend claims that carrying a 9mm with 147 grain fmj is sufficient for black bears. I claim the very least should be .45 acp 230 grain fmj.

Is 9mm fmj sufficient? Is .45 acp fmj sufficient?

I have toyed with the idea of 147 grain in .357 sig.

I am not talking about hunting the bear, I mean if you get attacked while your rifle is not in reach.

If none of theses are acceptable, in your opinion what is the absolute smallest pistol caliber you would carry in bear country?

George Orwell
Old September 21, 2008, 01:18 PM   #2
freakshow10mm

10mm or 357 Mag is my minimum.
Old September 21, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

.22lr ruger.... Hey you asked what is the smallest I would carry in bear country. There are squirrels in bear country too.
Smallest I would carry to use on attacking bears is a .45acp but would prefer .45colt or so...
Brent
Old September 21, 2008, 02:09 PM   #4
ƒORTE

This is the question I wanted addressed a little while ago. I don't have a 10mm and won't get my .357 til after I get back from alaska. I have a .45 and wanted to know if .45super or +P would suffice at protection. Didn't really get an answer. I think those commenting thought I was hunting bears... My opinion, any gun is better than clacking two sticks together. Take a decent sized knife as well. And KNOW your surroundings.
Old September 21, 2008, 02:19 PM   #5
luvsasmith

45 LC/410 revolver
Old September 21, 2008, 02:21 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would venture to say that at the distance of self defense scenario a .45acp placed well will do plenty of damage. Any size round that misses the key points of impact is equal to the 2 sticks you mention clacking together... i hate to hear that any animal has this super thick skull etc... I know of a rancher that raises bison and he uses a .22lr to dispatch them for slaughter.
I use a pellet rifle to dispatch wild hogs for slaughter. I am just pointing out that a well placed shot is crucial and paramount to caliber, velocity, energy or even ballistic co-efficient...
Brent
Old September 21, 2008, 02:27 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Daniel Boone killed a lot of bears with a 127gr ball fired at black powder velocities.

I wouldn't like to have to defend myself with a pistol against a bear, but bears aren't as bullet proof as the average internet expert believes they are.
Old September 21, 2008, 02:32 PM   #8
w_houle

Depends on how manly you are feeling... http://www.swissminigun.com/gallery_steel.html
Old September 21, 2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Sarge

I've carried either a 1911 loaded with 230 ball, or a SP101 loaded with 200 grain hardcast .357 mags. This was in Alaska no less, and while neither would be my first choice for huge bears, they were what I had along and I was certain they'd beat a 'pocket full of dreams' about the .454 Alaskan I'll buy one of these days.

My plan for discouraging things that can eat me is to start shooting early, shoot lots and aim for the brain or spine as much as possible.
Old September 21, 2008, 03:29 PM   #10
RLFD5415

I once hit a 200lb female with 4 shots from a 45-70 before she quit running. Twice in the lungs, 1 heart shot and 1 neck shot. I load my 405g Hornady's to 1800 fps, so I wasn't throwing spitballs. After that experience, I'm not sure I would recommend a pistol for much more than ******* off a bear. Grizzly, Polar, Black, White, whatever.
Old September 21, 2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Playboypenguin

Smallest would be .45acp but I would prefer to have a .45colt or .44mag with me.
Old September 21, 2008, 04:54 PM   #12
bclark1

As with all these hypotheticals, whether it's bears, bank robbers, deer, insurgents, automobile parts, etc., the answers are "what you've got" and "what you can shoot." If you don't have the .357/10mm, then .45 or 9mm is what will do.

Few news articles I recall include: a man lung-ing a bear that was attacking his dog with a .22 rimfire , they found it piled up some hours later; a man who killed a brown bear with a knife after he lost his rifle in an attack while hunting; and another guy killing a bear who was attacking his kids - by smashing the bear's noggin with a log. Then, to RLFD5415's point, we hear about bears (and other animals) soaking up ridiculous punishment and keep rolling.

We don't want to be in either of those situations - stuck with nothing substantial to defend ourselves, or facing superbear. But in those extreme instances, you've got to believe that your clock is just up, or it's not. In the vast majority of instances, I'd say most popular centerfire service rounds are adequate medicine. Yes, there's a chance a bear skull might deflect a smaller bullet. Yes, there's a chance you will lack vital penetration, especially if you carry HPs. Yes, if I was going, I'd bring the .44 mag as a sidearm, because it's there. But there's no use second-guessing with what you've got, and a 5 hits with a trusty .45 is better than no hits with a new magnum.

As a disclaimer, I've never hunted bear, some day hopefully, but I think some common-sense analysis always benefits these scenario-based questions.
Old September 21, 2008, 06:02 PM   #13
alloy

i dont walk to the condo dumpster after dark without a firearm. we got a bad black bear problem and they arent afraid of people, they stare at my doberman off the front balcony(eye level) and eat the azalea bushes and ******* at the end of the steps while she barks from 25/30 feet. right around twilight/dusk...later they bang at the dumpster door and drag trash out of my pickup...a general nuisance.
here they are protected, they flourish, and they grow more and more friendly.

but this is usually more prevalent during the spring.
Old September 21, 2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Dearhunter61

Since the only other pistol I own is a .22
Old September 21, 2008, 07:32 PM   #15
HiBC

Is there some controversy over which manstopper calibers are "best"Seems some think the 9 is inadequate because it is small bore and the 9 lovers say a .45 lacks penetration but in general they are in the zone for people stoppers.No one feels terribly overgunned in an SD situation with any common SD cartridge.In an SD round,too much penetration is bad.

This is the class of cartridge being discussed.

All of these handguns for use on humans are popular.
So,people want to feel better about being in bear country carrying them.
You can do what you want.
I know what it was like to hear my wife scream don't let the bear bite me again.I know what it was like to kill him.I know what it is like to be 200 river miles from the nearest road .
I know what it is like to stand squared off with the bear and put a 12 ga slug,which is a 400 gr projectile at 1200 fps midline center in a bear's mouth and had him go down and get right back up again.
You see,that was one of those moments where I dsicovered a disconnect between my expectations and reality.
I wanted a bigger gun.

You do whatever you want.
Old September 21, 2008, 08:04 PM   #16
HiBC

To answer your question,what would Ross Seyfred or Elmer Kieth carry?
Ross was a world champ combat shooter with a 1911,but I'll bet either Ross or Elmer would agree that a heavy loaded Ruger single action in .45 Long Colt or .44 Magnum with heavy hard cast Kieth bullets would be on the short list of good choices.Of course,the DA's have advantages,but a 4 5/8 SA Blackhawk carries easy and works every time. They don't cost much.
Old September 21, 2008, 08:15 PM   #17
22-rimfire

My minimum would be 22LR as that is what I might be more likely to have with me. But if I chose a handgun for this purpose, it would be a 357 mag or 41 mag revolver. A 45 or 44 is just fine too.

I bet the father of the 8-year old from Boca Raton FL would have liked to have had either with them during the August attack in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It happened near the trailhead for the Rainbow Falls Trail up Roaring Fork above Gatlinburg. The father and son involved were lucky and received minor wounds (stitches and staples to repair) and were treated and released from the hospital after the attack.

It appears that the Smoky Mt NP has modified some of their rules and postings about bears. Attacks are up along with the black bear population. More problems expected. They are recommending bear spray be carried by back country hikers/campers. No guns yet....
Old September 21, 2008, 08:54 PM   #18
rem870hunter

357 mag with 158 gr. hot handloaded jsp or 45 acp with 185 gr. silvertips.
Old September 21, 2008, 09:09 PM   #19
jhgreasemonkey

When I was doing a bit more hiking I carried my .45 acp and knew several other hikers that carried the same caliber. I use a .44 mag for my woods carry gun nowdays because that is the most suitable gun I have. I'm not particularly concerned with bears around here though they tend to be smaller and always have turned and run away in my encounters. I am more concerned with stumbling across tweakers than bears.
Old September 21, 2008, 09:26 PM   #20
mavracer

a 147 9mm is a very good penatrator not my first choice, but I'm not real worried about blackbear so I'd probably just carry whatever I'm packing at the time.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 21, 2008, 09:50 PM   #21
clem

.44 Mag.
Old September 21, 2008, 10:27 PM   #22
MeekAndMild

.44 magnum using .44 specials.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old September 21, 2008, 11:43 PM   #23
Dr. Strangelove

Hmm...

Don't these threads get fun? I'd say forget about the pistol and get yourself a spooky gunship to fly close air support. There are even some based in North Florida, so that saves some on the gas... 20mm Gatling guns and a 105mm howitzer make even your polar bears and grizzlies want to think twice about stealing your trail mix...

Hey, I'm just having fun; not trying to put you down. I moved to Georgia from Florida (Bradenton) six months ago and I spent quite a bit of time in the woods and on the water while I was there. I ran into plenty of four legged and two legged critters in the woods and can't say I was ever worried about the four legged kind. Mostly the two legged variety was satisfied with a wave or an exchange of pleasantries and the four legged ones, well, they didn't stick around long enough to get acquainted.

I don't normally carry a gun with me in the woods unless I'm hunting but just for fun here are my thoughts as a former Florida resident. (I'm assuming from your post you are asking about Florida specifically)

You can't open carry in Florida unless on private land, so it's not like you can walk through the woods "man on point" style. If a bear gives you time to take off a pack and get a pistol out you've got time to go the other way. Sure, you can conceal carry as long as you aren't on National Forest land. Do you really want to hike in clothes to conceal a .44 mag or some such gun in 95 degrees and 98% humidity? Have at it but not me.

A couple of people a year get shark bit swimming, diving, etc. in Florida. Does that mean I drag my 48 special AB Biller speargun with me every time get past my knees in the water? No. (By the way, it's a lot of fun, try spearfishing sometime. Sort of like shooting a rifle underwater. At fish.)

Having been a Florida resident for 7 years, I can honestly say I would worry more about a trip to the quickie mart than a hike in the woods. I've run into gators, far too many snakes to mention, sharks, moray eels, (not in the woods) and some very curious barracuda (not the car), but none have hassled me for money or broken into my jeep. (Well, the neighbors cat did pee in it one time..)

Anyway, to keep this on topic Super-Dave, I can choose between a 9mm, .22LR, and a .44 caliber blackpowder as pistols I actually own. I'd go for the 9mm, because, well, if anything can soak up 15 9mm rounds and keep going, I guess it deserves to eat me. I'd like to think I would be tasty.

Super-Dave, I'm just bustin' your stones, but as a former Florida resident, enjoy that beautiful state but don't worry about the bears. If one attacks suddenly, unless you're walking around all combat patrol style, you're not going to have much of a chance anyway. But do watch yourself on the way to/from the woods. Lots of crazies down there.
Old September 22, 2008, 01:54 PM   #24
HiBC

And I have seen a great big draft horse dropped dead with a 22 lr revolver.It had a badly broken leg.
Most of Europe thought the .32 ACP was a great police round.James bond thought it excessive.The first application of the .22 was a SD handgun.Outside of wars,the .22 has probably killed more men than any other round.People aren't bullet proof.Shoot me with a .22 short and I'll probably go off and die without a hospital.
So why is the advice to carry something with a .4 in it's caliber designation?
.25 pocket autos are so much nicer to carry,and they are cute!!
After all,a rapier used to work just fine.
Or did serious people with real experience say"I want a bigger gun because this maniac on PCP...
I'm taking the man's question serious.
I'm no great expert,but I'm not armchair.Hunting calm,relaxed bears over bait a person can be patient and pick the shot.The bear doesn't know what hit him.
I'll suggest a number of these opinions are coming from folks who have never killed anything with their 9 mms or .45s.I'll suggest fewer have killed a bear with a 9mm or 45.I'll suggest fewer still have killed a PO'd bear that was tearing up a human being.
We have now arrived at the definition of armchair experts.

Step into this scene.You are in Alaska.A 200 lb Black bear slams into your and his teeth are scraping your skull (or he is on top of your wife tearing her face off)

Up till this point,it doesent matter what you are carrying.Its about carrying.That WAS the priority.
Now,bloody screaming terror and violence,what do you want your right hand to find? Stopping it is the priority.Oh,gosh,that was her cheekbone and eye he just tore out.
Yeah,I'd say a PA-63 in 9X18 Makarov is nice and light,cheap,and what is most important,obviously,its not one of those wheel guns.Cant carry one.Uncool.Has to be a semi-auto.
Old September 22, 2008, 05:11 PM   #25
Buzzcook

Do they grow black bears real big in Florida?
Those times I'm in bear country I'm carying a .30-06 because I'm deer hunting. So there ya go. I also very rarely see bears so just hiking I only carry the .22.
If I thought a bear was going to chew off my leg (that seems to be the only kind of bear in the hunting forum) I'd like a .45 for bears larger than 200 pounds. I suspect 9mm would do fine for bears smaller than that.