The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 22, 2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Ralgha

Oregon Antis One-Up the Rest _ Merged Threads

Just a couple days after they said they were dropping the magazine capacity limit and AWB bills, they introduce a new bill in the house that goes way beyond anything we've seen yet.

You get ONE "assault gun" that you have to register, three magazines for it, and the police will search your home annually without a warrant. The definition of "assault gun" goes way beyond previous bans.

I was registered Democrat, I'll be changing to Independent as a result of this. Let fly the emails and light up the phones.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/massiv...ban-introduced
Old February 22, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
USMCGrunt

Quote:
I was registered Democrat, I'll be changing to Independent as a result of this.
And "learning" has occured!!!
Old February 22, 2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

The race to the bottom continues . . .
Old February 22, 2013, 10:48 PM   #4
USMCGrunt

I would say that this thing isn't going to pass. Personally, the more bat-crap crazy a bill is, the more I love it! Reason is that first it brings a lot more memebers into the NRA and other pro-gun groups and second, the crazier the bill is, the less likely it's going to go anywhere.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Personally, the more bat-crap crazy a bill is, the more I love it!
I used to agree with that. It was why I was relieved to see Feinstein's bill go to such extremes. Sometimes, a measure can be its own poison pill.

Then the SAFE Act happened in New York. Conventional wisdom would have doomed it to failure, but it passed. It might be a fluke, or it might be the first glimmers of a new precedent.

Either way, it's best not to let our guard down in either case.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Ralgha

Re: Oregon Antis One-Up the Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGrunt View Post
And "learning" has occured!!!
It's been a long time coming, this was the proverbial straw. I haven't considered myself a Democrat for a long time, I think both parties are corrupt to the core, indeed I think both parties are actually the same group playing roles.

This bill makes NY's look like good. I don't think it will pass, but that doesn't lessen my anger over it. We can't let the smallest part of it pass.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:27 PM   #7
Texshooter

warrantless searches of people's homes?

My gosh, even the aclu would not stand by for this would they? If they do, there will be no further proof they are hypocrites.

Surely county sheriff's (I don't know how things are organized in Oregon) would not go along with this would they?

This really is quite revolutionary.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:34 PM   #8
BillM

Does the Oregon legislature have a drug test policy? Looks like there
are seven senators and eight house reps that should pee in the cup--
they are obviously high on something.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:10 AM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
It's been a long time coming, this was the proverbial straw. I haven't considered myself a Democrat for a long time, I think both parties are corrupt to the core, indeed I think both parties are actually the same group playing roles.
I'm glad more people are starting to realize this.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 23, 2013, 02:04 AM   #10
rc

I believe someone was saying that in California those with registered assault weapons have home inspection provisions in the law. I don't think they care if these laws are constitutional. We had slavery in this country for the first 85 odd years of it's existence and women and minorities have only been guranteed the vote in more recent times.... If there is political will to ban guns they will do so just like prohibition in the 20s. It was nearly a decate before they realized they had created a bigger problem than outlawing booz was supposed to eliminate. Same will be true for these crazy gun bans....
Old February 23, 2013, 02:32 AM   #11
Tickling

Just when I thought I could breath a little easier...

EDITED TO ADD: There is an automailer on the page linked by the OP. Please use it, even if you aren't from Oregon!

Direct link: http://automailer.oregonfirearms.org/

Last edited by Tickling; February 23, 2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:29 AM   #12
MLeake

I just used the automailer, and put an introductory letter in front of the standard one:

Quote:
To the Oregon Legislature:

I am not an Oregon resident, though I was born in Oregon a few decades back. Still, as an American citizen, and a gun owner, I pay attention to what the governments of other states do with regard to infringements of the Second Amendment.

HB 3200 is particularly egregious. I am amazed at how many amendments it would seek to infringe. The Second, Fourth, and Fifth all leap immediately to mind.

Please be aware that many of us, nationwide, will pay close attention to the progress of this bill, and if it passes, we will contribute funds to any campaigns opposing the people who voted for HB 3200. This bill would set a precedent that we will not allow.

Frankly, I think even the normally anti-gun ACLU will be suing Oregon if this bill passes...

Regards,

Morgan Leake

Standard Letter from OrgeonFirearms.org follows:
Old February 23, 2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Ralgha

Re: Oregon Antis One-Up the Rest

There's a town hall meeting today with some of the bill's sponsors. Maybe we'll learn about the type of insanity that causes people to propose bills like this.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:41 PM   #14
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha
I think both parties are corrupt to the core, indeed I think both parties are actually the same group playing roles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Big Bird PhD
I'm glad more people are starting to realize this.
Yep. After primaries, it's in a candidate's interest to be as close to the center to the extent possible without repudiating everything he or she said in the primaries.

It's not polemic. It's math. You maximize your votes when you're as close to your opponent as possible while still maintaining a few actual or rhetorical positions that make you more palatable (less unpalatable) to your party's base.

These silly Oregon democrats. They want gun owners to give up 4th amendment rights? If that miraculously passed, it would open a can of worms. Republicans could say fine, have legal marijuana if you want, but blogs by marijuana users will be censored.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; February 23, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:48 PM   #15
BGutzman

Quote:
Then the SAFE Act happened in New York. Conventional wisdom would have doomed it to failure, but it passed. It might be a fluke, or it might be the first glimmers of a new precedent.
Tom I think its the new normal. When bills get openly passed without being read or considered and no ones alarmed then we are already off the cliff. In my idealized world anyone who voted for any bill without reading it should be impeached and permanently barred from political office.

(Sorry Important phone call came in and I slapped the ending together.)

Last edited by BGutzman; February 23, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:51 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGutzman
In my idealized world anyone who voted for any bill should be impeached and permanently barred from political office.
Anyone who voted for any bill?

That seems a little extreme.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:32 PM   #17
MLeake

Well, this was nice.... I am not an Oregon resident, and yet I still received both a very positive and a very pro-RKBA response from an Oregon senator already.

Oregon members, take note:

Quote:
Dear Morgan,

Thank you for your email. I agree, and I will be opposing any additional firearms restrictions, including SB-346, SB-347 and HB-3200.

I am also well aware of the attempt to pass SB-1594 (ban on CHL in schools) in the 2012 session. I believe a review of the record will show that Senator Verger and I were the two senate democrats who successfully voted to defeat the bill on the floor.

Best regards,

Betsy

Member, Democratic Gun Owners Caucus

NFA License Holder

(503) 543-4046
Old February 23, 2013, 07:27 PM   #18
BGutzman

Sorry Spats I lost my train of though.... I have fixed it!
Old February 23, 2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
In my idealized world anyone who voted for any bill without reading it should be impeached and permanently barred from political office.
I do like that idea. Upon voting for any bill, a representative should have to sign (under penalty of perjury) that they have read and understood every provision. That would stop passage of quite a bit of legislation, and it would ensure that proposed laws are more succinct.

I ran it past my legislators, and it received a somewhat lukewarm response. Imagine that.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

I have to admit that I like BGutzman's idea as well, at least the corrected version.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:11 AM   #21
Tickling

Thanks MLeake for helping us out

I got an email from Senator Johnson as well, and she promised the same. It looks like she writes them instead of using a form.. Refreshing.

I rewrote the automailer form myself, it was a bit strong for my tastes.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:04 AM   #22
MLeake

Tickling,

I sent her a thank you email, and received a nice, short response about five minutes later.

Betsy Johnson answers these things herself. She's one of a very few I have encountered who do that.

Hopefully, her voters appreciate that.

Regards,

M
Old February 24, 2013, 09:21 AM   #23
AH.74

What IS it with these people?

Why does the fact that I own guns give them the belief that they have the magical right to come into my private residence?

I guess the fourth amendment has gone out the window. I can't for the life of me think of anything similar- ie, a piece of personal property used to justify this intrusive line of reasoning.

I would like to see a group of people show up at one of these authors' houses and demand to be let in to perform an inspection. Let's see how they like attempts on violations of their own privacy.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:29 PM   #24
dajowi

I addressed the issue of the previous Oregon gun ban legislation back in January by sending some 29 emails to Oregon Senate members. I got only 4 responses: Close, Johnson, Roblan and Whitsett.

Some were deleted without opening. I guess they didn't like the subject matter.

Over years of experience these numbers don't surprise me at all.

I sent Governor Kitzhaber a letter reminding him that the people of the state of Oregon voted for the death penalty and he was going against the will of the people by putting his personal moratorium on executions. He didn't respond.

Disappointed? Yep. It doesn't say much for the people who've been elected to run our state.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:21 PM   #25
Ralgha

The OFF issued a followup alert requesting that people contact our two pro-gun Democrat senators and express support and thanks for their stance on guns. Also indicating that Obama is behind it (no evidence).

Quote:
Oregon's Only No Compromise Gun Lobby - Oregon Firearms Federation
OFF ALERT 02.23.13

HB 3200 Follow Up, Friendly Democrats.

As you can imagine, the news of the introduction of HB 3200, the gun ban bill, has gotten a lot of attention. Many of you may have had trouble accessing our website yesterday due to the volume of hits it was getting. Some have had a problem using our automailer.

Rest assured we are working to resolve the problem and we will do whatever is necessary to continue to serve gun owners in Oregon. We appreciate your patience and thank you for your efforts to make your voices heard.

Clearly HB3200 has struck a nerve. Many are astonished that a bill so clearly intended to be an open attack on the rights of gun owners, including their right to be free from warrantless searches, could ever be introduced in Oregon. This just proves that the people behind it are simply lying when they say they “respect the Second Amendment, but....”

Let’s face it, we have our work cut out for us. While a bill this extreme would seem to have little chance of passing, anything can happen. It could be used to make the other gun restrictions seem “reasonable.” It could have been thrown out there in the hopes of another mass killing to exploit. Nothing is beneath these people. Nothing. So keep contacting your legislators and be prepared for anything.

We have been informed that legislators are receiving unusually high numbers of communications IN FAVOR of this awful bill. There are indications that these may be being generated by an organization far more sophisticated than the local anti-gun groups who simply lack the ability to do something like this.

As you know, the Obama administration has made it their personal mission to pass gun restrictions locally with Joe Biden traveling the country to twist state legislators' arms. If the reports are accurate, they may well be behind it.

That’s why we are asking you to do something a bit out of the ordinary.

The Oregon House has several Democratic members who support gun rights. The Oregon Senate has only two. That’s right, out of 16 Democratic Oregon Senators, only two support your right to own a firearm.

As you can imagine, those two are now under unbelievable pressure from the Democratic “leadership” and the other Democrats, to fold and join the majority in attacking your rights. They need your support and encouragement. I am hoping you’ll take just a moment to drop them both a short note telling them to stay strong in the face of the withering opposition they are facing.

The two are Senator Arnie Roblan and Senator Betsy Johnson.

If you would take a moment to email them, or leave a message at their office expressing your appreciation for their past support, it would mean a lot at a time when they are the lone voices of reason in the Democratic caucus.

Senator Arnie Roblan
503 986 1409
[email protected]

Senator Betsy Johnson
503 986 1716
[email protected]

Thank you!