The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
JustAnotherPlinker

Reloading .308 Frangible Pulldown in a FAL

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make M-160 pulled 108.5 gr Green/White tips work in an FAL? I'm considering purchasing some from HiTech ($50/1000) and did some research online.

Apparantly these are WWII era pulldown made with sintered 50/50 lead bakelite composite. Most of the resources I found indicated that the standard loading was for ~1300 fps with 10-11 gr of a pistol/shotgun powder. One source indicated that the bullets stability range was up to ~2500 fps but that the intended targets were armored for 1300 fps energy levels.

There really isn't much info out there on these.

I specifically want to know if I were to switch my FALs gas system to wide open would there be enough gas to cycle the weapon. I'd love to have a cheap blasting round to help me develop freehand shooting skill and the reduced pressures would probably allow my brass to last 10-15 loadings.

So what do you all think? would 10-12 gr of bluedot, AA #9 or the like work?
Old November 2, 2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Bullet stability is a function of length and velocity and weight in given conditions. Without the dimensions of the bullet, I can't estimate its limits. I would certainly not expect a reduced load to function your gun, even with your port adjustment. I've bought surplus jacketed .308 loads before that would not function my M1A reliably. I would expect a plinking load to force you to cycle the action manually or to load singly rather than from the magazine, anyway.

Given that manual loading will slow your rate of fire, anyway, perhaps a light plinking half-jacketed bullet will look more attractive? It will cost twice as much, even in bulk, but you won't have to worry about stability or bullet particles getting into the gas system. 8.5 grains of Hodgdon Universal under the 100 grain Hornady 222789 half jacket is an accurate plinker for me. The 110 grain round nose (intended for the .30 carbine) is probably as good, and is more readily available in quantities greater than 100.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 3, 2008, 03:46 AM   #3
totalloser

Just a heads up on price. The frangibles aren't the good deal they appear to be as you need significantly more powder by my books, and once that factors in, it's about the same to shoot heavier, more expensive bullets. I went with the resized 147fmjbt's for 8 cents apiece from www.patsreloading.com. I've only rolled about 4-400 so far, but I am very satisfied for the price.